Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

I just got out of jail and I'm thinking of building another boat.......I need ideas??

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

I just got out of jail and I'm thinking of building another boat.......I need ideas??

Old 12-29-2010, 01:13 AM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I just got out of jail and I'm thinking of building another boat.......I need ideas??

ORIGINAL: Delinport

Ok Guys....I think I am leaning towards the new 73 inch cat that central rc is coming out with. I didn't really think about it but I have a hitch on my chevy hhr and I use it to haul a couple dirtbiks I have. I have a three place dirtbike trailer. I am thinking worst case if I dont want to use my truck I can get another small trailer to put my rc boat in to transport it.

I sent off an email to central hobbies to see if I could pre order a hull. I guess I have plenty of time to think about powerplants since they are still working on the mold. I like the idea of the inline engines but I would think in a big cat an engine in each side would be better.

Any thoughts on what engines might push the boat well? And no.....I cannot afford 2x inline engines......

leaning towards a unproven Cat ispretty big leap ,,,,,,,,,, still working on the mold

Cool post video ..........

I've yet to see the run video of the first smaller Skater version with the inline 520 he showed on Jims

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_97...tm.htm#9773915the first part was here then he added a 520 I believe

cheers
Old 12-29-2010, 02:31 AM
Delinport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I just got out of jail and I'm thinking of building another boat.......I need ideas??

Randy...Am I reading that right? They put the inline s520 in the 53 inch hull from Central rc?

Del
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 AM
mistycreekboats

Yep he put a 520 in there ........... posted pics but never any run video ........... can't post pics now or I'd show the pics

Cheers
Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Delinport

I had some questions about the 53 inch skater cat from Central RC. I emailed Rick at Central RC and got a couple emails back with some info. The hull with scoops and shipping to Oregon would be $475. I asked how the inline rcmk s520 engine fit and he said it fit great and sent me a photo. I asked about performance and he said the boat handled well and they were getting speeds of around 60 mph but still testing props. I have heard nothing but good things about this boat. This might be a good choice for me. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48877.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1540199  
Old 12-30-2010, 11:09 PM
mistycreekboats

it's a nice boat for the price ......

Let me know if u run across the video of it at 60 mph .... I'd like to see that ... would be cool

Instead of cutting the far pipe and welding it to shortened it - I'd look into BHHshortie headers so they would match

Good luck and post some pics and videos .. should be cool
Old 12-30-2010, 11:56 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at that pic id say the engine could be moved forward another 2-3" which would solve any problem with needing to shorten anything.I would honestly think that where it is with the power these motors put out it would be very flighty to say the least [X(].Doubt it would handle rough water either,least not with that setup.
Mart
Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Delinport

We do have plenty of days here in Oregon with calm water too. I'm sure any cat would not handle rough water as well as a vee hull of equal length. I just have not heard of too many larger vees being able to hit speeds over 60mph though. I could be wrong though. I have seen alot of videos with ac cats doing over 60 and they are in the 40 to 45 inch range. I know the bigger cats will move too but you also pay for it. There are a lot of choices out there. It seems tougher than I thought to decide on something.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Delinport

On a side note....... I found some photos of one of the boats I built a few years back. It had a pocket bike engine in it...fun build.

Name:	wu59770.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1540482   Click image for larger version

Name:	rp44014.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1540483   Click image for larger version

Name:	us53953.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	1540484   Click image for larger version

Name:	mk27536.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1540485   Click image for larger version

Name:	us52640.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1540486   Click image for larger version

Name:	db84885.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1540487  
Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 AM
painman

I'm not 100% sure, but I belive a couple of the new Modded Big Blocks, loaded with a couple of the high pitch props might just put you at the numders you are looking for. I have one that is still on the bench getting ready to take the Whip for a ride. I also have built small cats, but nothing 72", that is huge.
Good Luck and Welcome Back
Randy
Old 01-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Delinport

I PULLED THE TRIGGER!!!

Here is a link to Central RC website. http://central*********.net/

I emailed Rick at Central RC hobbies and let him know I would take the first 73 inch mystic out of the mold. I am not sure when it will be done but will keep everyone updated.

I would like to start thinking about engine and drive options. Anyone have some good ideas?

Del
Old 01-08-2011, 06:13 PM
goodson

If you don't me asking, how much? Was price the only factor in buying this hull instead of the Class One Skater? I'm not knocking your purch; I just bought a central hobbies 53" skater. The build quality is very good, and I'm sure your mystic will be as well.

As for power, if it were my build, I'd toss a couple big blocks in it and go from there. Too much more power and I would think prop selection would be limited and rigging too complicated for what you're going to be using it for.

I'll be watching your build closely because I may go down the same road in the future.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Delinport

I think the quoted price on the 73 inch was $599 plus shipping. Price does matter to me. I don't like to part with my hard earned money but if your going to play with the big boys I think you have to a bit. There really are not a ton of options for the mystic hull out there in this size range. I know it could be twice as much total cost if I purchased from MH$. I also like the idea of building a boat that has not been done 100 times before. I have heard the quality of the 53 inch skater is good so I am hoping the 73 inch will be good also.

Goodson...do you have a link to your build page? Thanks...

Del
Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 PM
goodson

If you are referring to the skater, there isn't a build page. I bought the hull as a gift for my brother to replace his pos venom king of shaves.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Delinport

Mystic hull is almost done. Here is a link to the website....Looks neat from what I can see.

http://central*********.net/Services.html
Old 01-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Paul M

I would like to start thinking about engine and drive options. Anyone have some good ideas?

Del

What is Rick suggesting? Has this hull ever been run before? If so. what was used?

I ALWAYS want to start with too much power and go from there

The more pertinent question is how much can you spend?

Old 01-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Delinport

ORIGINAL: Paul M

Del

What is Rick suggesting? Has this hull ever been run before? If so. what was used?

I ALWAYS want to start with too much power and go from there

The more pertinent question is how much can you spend?

Paul...Would 2x inline rcmk be too much? I could do stock inlines rcmk for the same price as modded zens....

Del
Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Paul M

I don;t think so. That's a huge hull. The trick is finding out if they will fit. Rick should be able to tell you if the RCMK inline will fit in the sponson. I'm guessing it will take some doing but I bet it will fit. I would think you would want the jugs rotated ie you'll want the carbs on one side and the pipes on the other.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Delinport

Gizmo sells a right hand and a standard rotation inline rcmk engine. Does anyone know if the right hand engines have the carbs on the opposite side as the standard rotation?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:41 PM
mistycreekboats

yes they are

Name:	Bz78189.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	1551051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv66919.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	1551052  
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Paul M

Yes yes muhahahaha
Old 01-29-2011, 03:54 PM
Delinport

I am thinking about how to power the mystic hull. 73 inches is a lot of boat to push around. There is someone on here that has a 73 inch PIP cat with a quickdraw 35 in it but I'm not sure how it runs. I was almost thinking of a single modded s520 engine from redline. The cost of twin drives and such can really start to add up. really would like to get the boat to 60mph though. What does everyone think as far as powerplants?

Del
Old 01-30-2011, 01:27 AM
martno1fan

Why not go with the modded 520 with two 28.5cc heads on them thats 57 cc and bags of power .Not bad for $999,only $4 more than the mid mod lol.Think you will see well over 60 mph with that motor,a friends hit 60-65 with two bonzi mid modded 26 side by side twins in his cto3 67" cat,which hasnt got the power of that motor plus the 520 is lighter than two singles.
Mart
http://www.youtube.com/user/wayneuk
Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 AM
Paul M

Mart, do you know if the bottom ends will handle the extra torque of the 28.5's?

That's a great value
Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 AM
Delinport

Mart...I like that idea a lot. I wouldn't know what hardware to use though. if you look at the back of the boat in the picture below you almost need to mount the strut off the center of the square thing. Would you then use an offset extended rudder? Anyone?

Name:	Hf99150.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	1555773  
Old 01-30-2011, 04:10 PM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: Paul M

Mart, do you know if the bottom ends will handle the extra torque of the 28.5's?

That's a great value
There seems to be a few builders doing these hybrids using the rcmk bottom with the zen 28.5 heads, a m8s having one done at the min.Im sure Scott can tell you more about this than me as im sure hes done a few himself.I agree they look great value .
Dell maybe twin drives would be better with the rudder central i know it means a gearbox but then i seem to remember you doing something like that before .
Mart

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.