Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New gas mono shopping

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New gas mono shopping

Old 01-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default New gas mono shopping

Hey, I started a thread!
OK, here's the deal. I unloaded my Lazer 45 at the end of racing season last fall so now I'm shopping for something to replace it. I'm not really interested in another AC nor do I want an Aeromarine. My criteria so far is it has to look good and handle race water. Right now I'm kind of looking at the Rampage (BABY!), the new Microburst or the one from Speedworld as possible choices. I've got pretty much everything else that I need to throw it together, my choice of 2 RCMK's plus a small pile of Speedmaster hardware. Any manufacturer attempting to reply will lose points so I want to hear from you guys. I'd like to keep the hull length to around 45" but can go a little larger. A US manufacturer is a plus. I'm trying to keep the cost reasonable too.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:14 PM
rcguy1411

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New gas mono shopping

Oh NO the shoe is on the other foot ! Ron we are used to comming to you for "HELP" and information what are we going to do ? lol [X(]
Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 PM
Ron Olson

I'm kinda looking for something a little different from the normal. There may be a new hull somewhere in somebodies skunkworks getting ready to hit the market but looking right now into buying something in the next month or so. I might be able to get a deal on the Rampage so that's one reason why that's towards the top of the list. The Microburst is also appealing as I owned a .45 nitro powered one and loved it. The Speedwrld hull I saw race last fall and it seemed to handle the rough race water very well and has a Seaducer look to it in a way. My son will more than likely be the driver of this boat as I'll be entering one of my Cat's and the JAE gas 'rigger that's close to getting paint slapped on it.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:16 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any reason you wont go with Aeromarine Ron its kinda hard to see past an 82 mph mono .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_NjoD5GcDQ
Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 AM
wilsta67

any thing here that may tickle your fancy......
https://www.whhonline.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=33

http://redlinemotors.us/#/patriot-monos/4538762492

http://www.americanrcboats.com/produ...rods/hulls.htm

a zipp kit perhaps?
http://www.zippkits.com/

Old 01-08-2011, 02:27 AM
brodjack

Dont forget a RCMK Zenith,fabulous quality,turns on a dime and no trimtabs or turn fins needed.
heres mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hjooMWWhMI
Old 01-08-2011, 03:19 AM
MrMikeG

My first choice would be a Razor, but you said no AC, what about a Muck?
Old 01-08-2011, 06:45 AM
danielplace

Hurricane, Y-6, or Insane ???
Old 01-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Ron Olson

Mart, remember up above where I said that it also has to look good? My opinion is that the new Aeromarine is on the butt-ugly side as I don't like that big scoop on the deck. What they aren't telling you just like with their Conquest Cat is that the scoop likes to ingest a lot of water.

Wilsta67, I was looking again at the Silex last night after I posted this so it's a possibility. I've seen some shots of the Patriot as there is another dealer for it, Al Gorman. As far as Zac Price's boats go, I do have a Vee-Rod collecting dust in the shop. That's one that I bought as I loved the looks of but the downside is that it's tight on the transom as far as mounting hardware. I was thinking about reviving it but wanted to change the trim tabs but can't. A fellow club member, Randy Crum now owns Zac's red Vee-Rod shown on his site.

Brod, I'll have to take a closer look at the RCMK hull.

Mike, too many people are racing the AC's around here. Yes, they are great boats but I want something a little different from the norm. Yota has a nice looking Muck hull that's been cut down for a lower profile. I asked him about it but no reply so far.

Dan, another no offence intended but I really don't like the appearance of the Y-6 and not too crazy about the Insane either. The Hurricane is a maybe. I know how well they all perform though.

The Vee-Rods. You reall can't see too well but it's really tight on the starboard side. Zac did come out with a revised version with more transom area though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27600.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1543993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64399.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1543994   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ci98026.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	1543995  
Old 01-08-2011, 07:37 AM
martno1fan

Yea Ron im with you on that one that scoop is massive and will injest water for fun in race water,take the scoop out and they have a winner though me thinks.I like the look of the Hurricane hulls ,not keen on the silex its just another lynx and they love to dive for no reason,not sure about the Zenith but thats very similar to the silex and lynx so wouldnt be my choice either especially in rough water,be surprised if that has the potential to get near 82 mph either before diving.I know you wont be wanting to go that speed but any mono capable of those speeds is doing something right .The rampage is a nice looking hull and seems to be very fast ,have to say though i dont like that most American hulls dont seem to have cowls whats that all about.
Mart
Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Ron Olson

Although hulls like my Vee-Rod and the Lazer have hatches I prefer to run them "topless". It's just one more thing to do when you're on the clock and the engines run cooler and better without them. Some boats just don't look good though without them.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Angel727
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

Any reason you wont go with Aeromarine Ron its kinda hard to see past an 82 mph mono .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_NjoD5GcDQ
I will tell you why I don't buy AE. Their customer service sucks and the qc of the last hulls I'd seen at the lake makes you wander. I seen couple AE hulls split open or with cracks. If you want a tank go with Rico if your serious or WHH for sport boating. Both are great products and the people behind them are always available. At AE you wait and wait and wait....

Al.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 AM
Ron Olson

I've seen a lot of issues with Aeromarine hulls splitting apart at the seams, that why Carlo at CC Racing is now having the ones that he sells built with reinforcing strips at the seam. Remy is a good guy as we've met a couple of times but when it's almost impossible to get hold of anyone there it's hard to do business with them. That's when you're better off going to one of their dealers.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:15 AM
martno1fan

Yea thats what hapens when you dont rienforce the seam and just use sealant or any type of glue,ive made two hulls that way and both had issues with splitting,not bad but enough for me to not do it again.All the hulls i do now are glassed from inside as well as the join glued with a mix of gelcoat and milled fibres.
I hear what your saying Ron ,guess the rules are different over there as over here hulls must have cowls of some kind to race.Your luucky over there as you are spoilt for choice as there are many nice monos available to you.
Mart
Old 01-08-2011, 09:30 AM
Ron Olson

The only class that you must run with a hatch on is Offshore over on this side of the Big Pond.

BTW, I am going over my options yet again. Man, this can be harder than new car shopping! I just went into the Insane Boats site and kind of like the Gen 2 plus as an option they make it in a color that's growing on me, lime green.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Hesco Racing

Friend got one of these the other day. We ordered it as a un joined hull and deck. Very neatly made and supper strong. has a bit crappy hatch but we will be making a new hatch. We race a very tight m-shaped course but this hull design placed well in the european world champs.

http://shop.miniracingteknik.se/html...hheo9pe5g5v7p4
http://hem.passagen.se/faluga_racing/

Cobus
Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 PM
mtchbnntt
My Feedback: (2)

Rampage Baby! All the way, we are working on a hatch for the Rampage rt now. Just trying to get the lines rt with the angles of the windshield. It won't be rounded in the front it will follow the lines of the present windshield. Carlo will deff help you out, also if you want a specific color different than the norm, plz inquire about it. As you might have seen Rampage has put out a couple new boats with out of the norm colors like All Pink, black and lime green, and i have a new one coming thats Royal Blue top, Dark Grey bottom. All Carbon fiber or Half and Half is available too!. Hope this helps ya Ron, look forward to seeing another winning Rampage in the water soon!!!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Ron Olson

Denny Cantavespri got in contact with me over at Jim's through a PM and if I want one of the Rampage's he wants me to deal with him personally instead of me going through Carlo. The one that he shows on his and Carlo's site in lime green was his late brothers boat and can't find the green gel-coat. I think that he still has one in red and carbon fiber that he may do a deal on also as I don't think that he's sold it yet.
I've still got a few weeks to pore over my options but after looking at the Insane Gen 2, one thing that I liked was that it's set up so that no trim tabs are needed. Going with or without is no big deal as I have got some of those laying around also. All of the links provided so far I'll hit again as the time to order nears, probably about the first week in February.
Thanks for all of the input so far.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:34 PM
MrMikeG

The Rico offshore looks and handles really good too!
Old 01-09-2011, 01:23 AM
martno1fan

never mind wouldnt want to upset anyone
Old 01-09-2011, 04:07 AM
richard b

Have you looked at the Davette SS? I have one, outstanding quality, and a very slick looking hull. Dana just did a thread on here  DaVette SS redesign a few weeks back. If I could get my pics to load here I would post them so could see the finished product. Happy Shopping!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:34 AM
pyro1

Ron,
I really like the Silex Pro. It handles. It turns like its on rails. 60mph into a turn with no backing off. Really well designed.

pyro1
Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 PM
w3bby

ORIGINAL: martno1fan

277 euro or £230=$357 [X(],heck i do a glas x carbon layup on an Apache for that guess i must be too cheap .
As ever Mart you are quick to jump all over other peoples pricing policy, sorry but it gets a bit boring... For people outside the EC you can drop 20% from that, vat in Sweden is 25%.

Having seen a few I can only back the comments of Hesco Racing, the Faluga is a nicely made, strong hull with a good racing pedigree.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 PM
martno1fan

I do like the Rampage not a bad price either
Old 01-09-2011, 07:44 PM
BMAD01

Hi Ron! I still have my Razor with an M+D Cast Motor in it, but I'm looking for a change also. I bought a new Microburst 47 from Dave Showers some time back. I am currently building it. I'm going with a spanky new Q/D HT and hot pipe with a Cooper silencer. It will have an AC Quick Change radio box also. I shipped 23pcs of the hardware out last Wednesday to get anodized in Gold. As soon as it comes back I can finish the build. Everything is already set, I just need the hardware back to put it back together.
Everybody I have talked to say's they are rocket ships! I remember seeing a Burst run about 5 years ago. Nothing could keep up with it! I think I have a real winner on my hands now. I have a couple Q/D Cal Crafts I need to spank this year.
In case you have not noticed, I strive to be different! You can get a hold of Dave Showers @ 904-460-2961 Good luck on your choice! LOL Brian
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76744.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1545056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99917.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1545057   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65037.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1545058   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95712.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1545059  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.