Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Craigslist boat shoppin'

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Craigslist boat shoppin'

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Boatingcop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craigslist boat shoppin'

I started looking on craigslist for boats as I may get one a little cheaper there. I wouldn't mind swaping engines orradios or stuff like that. I found this boat, but I've never heard of the brand and know nothing about their quality.http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ele/2214261648.html Is this boat really worth the $2000 he said it was new and do you think the speed he posted is close to what it should be? Finally is this to high of an asking price? Thanks in advance. I'll be posting more craigslist or ebay finds as I go along.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Craigslist boat shoppin'

It might be possible the boat cost over $1400 when new - but that would have been 15+ years ago (and it would not have been a great value even then). Boat is reasonable looking but Homelites are not a great powerplant by todays standards. Provided everything works and you are happy with a 40mph boat then $500 might be the upper limit of a fair price. For the $1000 asking price you have a choice of hundreds of significantly newer and better builds.

I would keep shopping - a few too many exaggerations in this ad for it to be a real honest seller.

I have yet to be real impressed by the so called bargains on Craigs List. I shop there regularly but rarely see a deal.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Boatingcop

Yeah, I saw right through what he was claiming in the ad. I'm still probably going to go with a WHH kit unless I find a good WHH boat on ebay or CL. I like the kit or RTR because IKNOW I'm the first or the only one that has ever run the engine. Thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Justaddwata

I LOVE my WHH Super G. I have two that I picked up for under $500 a piece with a bunch of accessories. They are very solid boats and will keep you entertained for years. I have plenty of boats that are more exotic than the Super G's but none that have been more fun.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Boatingcop

I really like the Super G too. I just wish I could come across a deal like that! lol The only reason I was looking for a 57" or so boat, is because I'm going to running in lakes most of the time where there will be some chop. Will the Super G handle the chop as well as a 57" boat? Thanks for your time
Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM
idocdave09
My Feedback: (1)

59 mph down a mine shaft maybe
Old 03-07-2011, 03:09 PM
rcguy1411

I really like the Super G too. I just wish I could come across a deal like that! lol The only reason I was looking for a 57'' or so boat, is because I'm going to running in lakes most of the time where there will be some chop. Will the Super G handle the chop as well as a 57'' boat? Thanks for your time
[/quote]
there is a super g in the for sale adds right now now its up to you to make a deal ( i dont know the seller )so i don t know condition of the boat but it seem s like a fair pric[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=725755[/link]
[quote]ORIGINAL: Boatingcop

e
Old 03-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Boatingcop

I actually saw that boat sohrtly after I posted. I'm going to contact the seller and see how old it is. The engine looks a little different from the recent onces I've seen but then again I'm not really up to speedon the engines right now just by looking at them. My ony concern still is the difference in size and running ona lake with chop.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:31 PM
cheesewizz69

Guys on first look it doesn't look like it worth the trouble. But for those that now the story behind the intruder that is very reasonable price. The North Amercan intruder held many world records and is collectable even today. I think it's worth another look.....

This from a post on Jim's

"Good Morning George..Thank you my Friend for the Kind Words and for Wanting to put the Pictures and History of North American RC on the Boat Dock Forum. I hope you as well as the Others on the Boat Dock Enjoy the Inside Story of What was A Great RC Boat Company with the People that Really Cared about the Product they Built and The Great Customers and Friends that North American Built for. Take Care and Thank you Again for all Your Help..Best Wishes Always Sammie-North American RC-Action Marine

Greenblast Your Intruder XS is very Rare and a very Special Boat...there was only 5 of the Intruder XS rc Boats Built with the Blackhawk Motors, built before North American RC Stopped building Boats and Motors..Just so You know that North American RC did NOT go out of Business. North American rc had More orders than they Could Handle and it was only Health Problems that Caused North American rc to stop Building rc Boats and Motors. In Fact The Home Shopping Network Tried to get North American RC to Build them 2000 Intruders with the Mag 3 motor and Radio for the First Order to start with. North American had to turn them down because the Boats and Motors that North American rc Built were Custom Built Boats and motors to each Customer and there was no mass products built there...Every Thing was Custom Built for the Customer and His Needs. In Fact in 1996 North American RC Broke 9 IMPBA World Records in both the Straight away and the Oval in 5 different class's and in 1997 North American RC Broke 14 IMPBA World Records in both the Straight away and the Oval in the same 5 different Classes..Record Speeds were from 51 MPH to 65MPH all done with 2 Intruder XS boats and 5 Different North American Motors Ranging from 23cc to 35cc. Also in 1997 at a National IMPBA 2 day Event in Fort Myers, Florida We Moved My 47 inch Intruder XS with a Mag 3 up into the 90 F Mono Nitro Class and for the First Time Running a Gas Boat in the Nitro F Mono 90 Class, We Took 4 First Place Heats in the 2 day event, Out Running 11 Nitro F Mono 90 Boats at there Own Game. A Nice Article with Picture's of our Boats and My Dad and I were in the RC Boating Magazines.

Sammie Personally Built all the Boats and Motors that was ever Built at My Fathers North American RC with the Help of 5 other Key People. Our Goal was in Helping My Dad put North American RC on the World Map. I had My Own Hi-Performance Race Boat Business in Detroit Michigan. I use to Build Real Custom Race Boats and Action Marine was a Very Big Part of Mercury Marine's Hi-Performance Products and Racing History for many years. Everything I did on the Big Race Boats was Put into the North American RC Boats and Motors that we Built at North American. We Had Spec Sheets on every Boat and Motor and the Customer that these Boats was Built For. Spec Sheets included before and after Weight of each boat, CG,drive shaft length,custom prop pitch and cup,Strut Height, and Speed on our Stalker Radar gun, many times included with the package was a Video of the customers boat running on the stalker radar gun. Each boat was broken in by Sammie and his Wife Pam with 1 gal of gas before the testing began and the final Set up was Completed and Radar Speeds Recorded. Each Package got a Complete Day at the Private Pond. Every North American boat was Packaged with a North American Hat, T-Shirt and a Beautiful 8x10 Framed Picture of there Boat in our pond. Many Times a Video of there Boat Running on our Stalker Radar Gun was included also. The 47 inch Intruder XS with our Mag 3 was Guaranteed to run between 50 and 53 MPH..But Never was any of our Intruder XS packages sent out with Speeds Less than 51 Plus MPH. Our 44 inch Warlock Cat with a Mag 3 Ran 52-55 MPH and our Cracker Box ran as high as 48.5 MPH. Our 47 inch Viper XS was Set up For the 30cc stock Class with Canister Muffler and we had them running 42-43 MPH. Our 41 inch Baby Intruder Nitro Boat was Built for My Dads Pleasure, but Many times we would Sell it to Others that were into the Nitro Racing. We even Built a 60 inch SuperHawk that was really Wide and Deep for a Big Play Boat. Recorded Speeds with a Mag 3 and a running Weight of 23 LB's was as high as 48 MPH. It was only Health Problems that Caused North American rc to stop Building rc Boats and Motors, since my Father Died and North American RC was Closed Down. Sammie-North American RC-Action Marine"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xv63678.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1575062  
Old 03-07-2011, 04:45 PM
Boatingcop

Thank you very much for the post Cheesewizz.  I was uneducated about the Indruders.  Does anyone on the forums have an Intruder?  Would love to learn more.  Thanks again.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 PM
cheesewizz69

There are few guys over on Jim's boat dock that have them. I am surprised I actually recongnized it before Matt (Justaddwater). I am not sure how long that boat will last now that the word is out.

I just went back thru a this thread and I noticed that you had a question about Super G in chop. I own a WHH Super Sport (same hull diffrent deck) it does not like anything more than a light chop. Anything heavy and she is in the air more than in the water. I have run the WHH 57 Magnum and it does much better but you will be hard pressed to put her into the 50's without a modded engine.

Good luck in whatever you choose,
Leo
Old 03-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Paul M

The point to keep in mind is what was said earlier:

" For the $1000 asking price you have a choice of hundreds of significantly newer and better builds.

I would keep shopping - a few too many exaggerations in this ad for it to be a real honest seller. "

I'm just not seeing anything about that boat that's screaming 60 mph to me
Old 03-07-2011, 05:48 PM
cheesewizz69

ORIGINAL: Paul M
'' For the $1000 asking price you have a choice of hundreds of significantly newer and better builds.
I would keep shopping - a few too many exaggerations in this ad for it to be a real honest seller. ''

No the point to keep in mind is that these boats left the manufacturer with documentation and video that showed the boat reaching a min of 53mph. Who knows what other mods including prop choice it has now so while 59mph may not be reached everytime out I do think that it is a mid 50's boat.

Just like everything else it is up to the buyer make the final decision.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:58 PM
Paul M

ORIGINAL: cheesewizz69

ORIGINAL: Paul M
'' For the $1000 asking price you have a choice of hundreds of significantly newer and better builds.
I would keep shopping - a few too many exaggerations in this ad for it to be a real honest seller. ''

No the point to keep in mind is that these boats left the manufacturer with documentation and video that showed the boat reaching a min of 53mph. Who knows what other mods including prop choice it has now so while 59mph may not be reached everytime out I do think that it is a mid 50's boat.

Just like everything else it is up to the buyer make the final decision.

That's fine and dandy but reading between the lines - boating cop appears to be looking for an entry level bargain. The point Matt was making and that I agreed with was that there are alot of other options out there that would be better values with less risk than rolling the dice on Craig's list for gosh sake.

In addition, one thing you say that makes my point is "these boats left the manufacturer...." who knows what condition it's in now. Pics don't always tell the whole story.

If its such a great deal maybe you should buy it
Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 PM
turborich

I have had 3 Prather 46" boats with Homelites (both 25 & 30cc) Stock they run right about 20 mph. I even had one of them fully modded by chipbreakr and the best I could get out of it was 39 mph on GPS. Yes it is a huge improvement but you will never get a Homelite to run anywhere close to 59 mph.

I just picked up a older aeromarine challenger with an old zenoah 23cc peanut engine & it runs 48mph on GPS, faster than a homelite will ever run.

I wouldn't give anymore than $400 for it.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:43 PM
danielplace

Keep looking. Boats and everything in them has evolved into much better and dependable products than what I see there.

I have sold complete AC Boatworks mono's ready to race with full mod Zenoah race engines with QD Hotpipes with Speedmaster hardware for less than $1000.

My friend Noph just let this Rico mono go for $400 RTR.

Not positive they could run 59 MPH that often, though. LOL

Old 03-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Boatingcop

Thanks for all the posts guys. I think I'm going to pass on this ad I saw because yall are right. I can get brand new for about the same price. I'm more into just playing out the lake but I will try to get every little bit of power I can safelyout of whatever boat I get. I'm looking for 40-50 mph, which I think is attainable in a WHH 57" boat while still keeping a clutch and keeping it a "play" boat. I do believe I'm going to go with a larger boat for stability as I would rather have to much hull than not enough for the bodies of water I'll be running. Thanks for everyone's time, and by all means if there are anymore suggestions feel free to add them.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Craig's List ads are just like the ones on eBay, it's buyer beware. I do have to give you credit though for asking in here before plunking down your hard-earned cash as some don't then really regret it later.
Yes, the North American RC boats were fast in their day including a record holder but now they're outdated with newer and better boats. What scares me the most about the whole deal is that cheap Futaba radio system as it appears to be an AM radio.

Many sellers put retail prices in their ads although they probably didn't pay that much in the first place. Even when it was new, I highly doubt if they were not bright enough to pay that much. If that person got offered $600.00 for it they ought to take it.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 AM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: cheesewizz69

There are few guys over on Jim's boat dock that have them. I am surprised I actually recongnized it before Matt (Justaddwater). I am not sure how long that boat will last now that the word is out.
Indeed Leo - I had seen the style about but never knew much of their history. To my eye anything with a homelite is yesterdays technology (and even then they were not formidable against the old G23's). I would have a tough time encouraging anyone to buy a 10+ year old boat from an unknown seller for such a high price.

Boatingcop - as Leo mentioned - the smaller Super G will be a little flighty in the chop. I have a few old videos of one of mine in some mild chop - fun to drive and you wont easily break a WHH hull, But the longer hulls would have a better time of the rough.

The end of season (late fall) is usually the better time to pick up deals on boats (large and small). Also a lot of used race boats are being sold off to fund winter builds for the next years race season. There are always boats for sale and often it is just a matter of knowing what you want and grabbing it when you see it. The best deals will usually sell quick

Think [link=http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/myboats/whh]this boat was $450 RTR[/link]this boat was $450 RTR off e-bay with a box full of new parts, fishing rod, tool kit etc. Probably had less than 1 hours run time too. Not my best bargain buy but I was very happy regardless.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7sPf0XCWO0[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFfAkHtVOnM[/youtube]
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM
aquatic fusion

Take a look at www.expresscraft.com nice hulls to choose from.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:48 PM
coyv10

Ck out NAMBA' s web site Dist 7 is having their opening race in a week or so close to Houston Tx. may be able to pick up a good race boat there for not much money..
Old 03-20-2011, 12:12 PM
silverz98

turborich you dont know alot about homelites im guessing. your problem is you said prather that boat was junk. i have one of the boats that this threads is about and with a canister muffler on it it runs 45/48mph, with tuned pipe it will run 55+ easy, iv raced these things many a year and raced them when this company was still around, everything they calmed is true. not sure how old this post is, but if i had the extra money i would by that boat in a min, it might not me for a new person, but for ppl that raced them and against them when they was around know whats it worth and know it was top notch.