Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Our Aeromarine and Blackjack 55 continual builds...

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Our Aeromarine and Blackjack 55 continual builds...

Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Our Aeromarine and Blackjack 55 continual builds...

Not too many 2.4 Gig radio systems come with servos any more. I'd rather pick out my own anyway. Many of us use just a standard servo for the throttle and a heavier-duty one for the rudder. The 4-wheel crowd may use an ESC and then whatever steering servo that they need depending on the size of their vehicle. I just bought a Futaba 4-channel 2.4 Gig pistol grip radio Saturday which may be overkill for a boat.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM
wakeskater02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at this one....  

Old 03-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Ron Olson

I got this one for around $25.00 cheaper than what Tower wants: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAAFF&P=SM
Old 03-16-2011, 09:37 AM
wakeskater02

Ya, but I liked the other one because it came with all the servos and reciever and everything. 

Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 AM
amrharrymac
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Wakeskater02,

Correct me if I am wrong but the appropriate Futaba Hi-torque servo for our Blackjack should be S3050?

I ran a bunch of numbers and I was looking for the most cost effective solution for the 2 servos for the steering along with a dual servo cable to run off of one channel. I too bought the 3PM-X with only a receiver package deal that was offered because I didn't think the servos were the right match with that deal.

Do a little research, we have a heavy boat and with 2 rudders??? I think we would at least improve the torque compared to stock, the original ones had 80?90? @ 6V, damn I can't find my worksheet right now...

Another consideration is a strong 6V NiMH hump pack battery,, I see you have one in your pictures, sweet boat BTW, and a fail-safe unit to cut the motor if communications are lost or the battery gets weak.

I am going with the Spektrum 3Ch with a MR3000 receiver and 2 s6020 hi-torque steering servos with a dynamite failsafe and a 1600mAh dynamite 6V hump pack battery; I was advised to go with a 5000 mAh battery, what a HPI Baja car uses, but my budget can't justify it right now.

I have both radio but cutting costs, I already have a MR3000 and 1 s6020 servo so I only need to buy 1 more.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:35 AM
mistycreekboats

I use S3020 on thottles ........ no where else ....... not enough uph for steering ........... 12.99 locally
Old 03-16-2011, 12:14 PM
amrharrymac

Futaba

s3050 spec say: @ approx. $50.00

Torque: 72 oz-in @ 4.8V 90 oz-in @ 6V

much different than the standard s3004 that is approximately $15.00

the s3010 is less with same torque spec @ approximately $25.00 but is analog vs. s3050 digital.

I can't seem to find a futaba s3020 ???

I think the stock JR were 80 @ 6V.

I didn't clarify the s6020's were spektrum at 128 in-oz @ 6V not a futaba

Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 PM
mistycreekboats

Sorry should have been 3004 was looking at the combo kit posted above .............and typing without a brain ......... happens to us 55+ guys sometimes ...............

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ0848

says it has 2 x 3004 with it
Old 03-16-2011, 04:56 PM
amrharrymac

I know the feeling, at 51 u'm not far behind you... Now if I can just find a job
Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 PM
wakeskater02

Guys don't forget that the Futaba setup is not going on my blackjack.  It is going on our 1 rudder aeromarine build.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:44 PM
wakeskater02

ORIGINAL: amrharrymac

Hi Wakeskater02,

Correct me if I am wrong but the appropriate Futaba Hi-torque servo for our Blackjack should be S3050?

I ran a bunch of numbers and I was looking for the most cost effective solution for the 2 servos for the steering along with a dual servo cable to run off of one channel. I too bought the 3PM-X with only a receiver package deal that was offered because I didn't think the servos were the right match with that deal.

Do a little research, we have a heavy boat and with 2 rudders??? I think we would at least improve the torque compared to stock, the original ones had 80?90? @ 6V, damn I can't find my worksheet right now...

Another consideration is a strong 6V NiMH hump pack battery,, I see you have one in your pictures, sweet boat BTW, and a fail-safe unit to cut the motor if communications are lost or the battery gets weak.

I am going with the Spektrum 3Ch with a MR3000 receiver and 2 s6020 hi-torque steering servos with a dynamite failsafe and a 1600mAh dynamite 6V hump pack battery; I was advised to go with a 5000 mAh battery, what a HPI Baja car uses, but my budget can't justify it right now.

I have both radio but cutting costs, I already have a MR3000 and 1 s6020 servo so I only need to buy 1 more.
Thanks, for the compliments on my blackjack, I am in talks with Bonzi Sports about possibly featuring my blackjack on there website. Again the new setup I will only need one HT servo and one regular servo, I would like to go with ball barring servos as I have heard that they are very smooth in transition from stationary to motion and back. I have heard some bad things about the Spectrum radios, so I would like to stay away from them if at all possible. I already have one spectrum radio, but it is on the Pro Boat brushless miss geico boat set up that i am trying to sell. I used the Geico boat once and decided to go with gas power. I appreciate all the info on servos though as I really don't know very much about them and am trying to learn all the nitty gritty. Also, my BJ already has a failsafe unit as well as a voltage meter, so I can actually visually see where the battery charge stands.Since you have a blackjack, do you know if they make a standard charger that fits the charging port on the BJ stuffing box? I am looking for a very simple charger that can charge my battery pack. Anywho, if anyone knows I would greatly appreciate the information.

Does anyone know if you can say buy the Futaba radio and reciever and say use different servos. I have some from Hi-Tec, both a HT and a standard. I am not sure about compatibility and so forth.

As for an update on the Aeromarine Challenger 48 build. My dad has finally mounted the motor completely, although he said he isn't sure if he likes the motor mounts that we have, so he might decide to change them. As for other stuff, he also installed the stuffing box and said he wants to pick up some bailers from Insane Boats. Our next plans are to figure out the electronics parts and run the exhaust. I am going over there this weekend and I will bring my DSLR camera to take updated pictures of the Aeromarine.

Thanks for following my build and answering all my questions!

-Cheers!

Old 03-17-2011, 02:14 PM
rcguy1411

the hi tec servo will work fine with the futuba radio
Old 03-18-2011, 09:21 AM
wakeskater02

Perfect as I already have two Hi Tec servos. Do you know if when you buy a whole radio, receiver and servo package if they usually come with all the wiring?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Dan S

you can use any brand servos you want as long as you make sure the proper colored wire is on the correct pin.
here is a little something useful:

http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servos.html

on my gas boats, when it comes to the steering servo, I prefer 130oz/in and up, no less.

Dan.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 PM
wakeskater02

Hmm, that seems like a bunch considering the servo that the BJ comes with stock is 90oz/in.  And I think that is running a 6v battery pack as well!

I would like to run a new water pickup line off the back of my boat, does anyone know where I can possibly get some aftermarket water pickups that look nice?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Ron Olson

You can buy one that picks up water off the prop or make one yourself that you can mount on the transom or pay the money and buy one that does the same thing. That secret is to use a piece of beveled brass tubing and aircraft landing gear straps to hold it in place.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:15 AM
mistycreekboats

One of the main reason people switch from Pro Boat rudders to the Aeromarine set u have on the BJ55 .......... is to get rid of the water pixkups from the stock Pro Boat which are a lot of extra drag compared to the AeroMarine type on the BJ 55 now

You would be going backwards in 'fixing' up the boat if you went back

Just my 2 cents
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98828.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	1581275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76972.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1581276  
Old 03-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Rsat

I found the 2 rudder, 2 servo stock set up on the Blackjack to be way to difficult to keep adjusted properly. I went with the single rudder set up from Bonzi. Also, I installed a new radio box as well. Much less tweaking involved.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 AM
wakeskater02

Ahh, Thanks for the tips...  

This is my problem with the rudder / water pickups that I have now.  I need to tune my boat, so I am trying to figure out how to get water flowing through the head and so forth, but have the boat stationary.  This is why I was thinking about installing the extra prop wash water pickup.  Since the prop will be spinning, it should force water up and through the new water pickup if it is at 2 - o - clock behind the prop, even at idle.  

My current problem is that the rudders are obviously on the sides of the prop so, unless the actual boat is moving through the water the in-rudder pickups don't work. 

I thought about rigging my own system to force water through the head using a good size aquarium pump.  I have experience in working with aquarium pumps as I have a 75g reef, so what I was thinking of doing was to get a good sized pump, put it in a 5g bucket of water then take the water lines that go from the top of the rudders to the back of the transom off and get two new longer pieces of water line.  Connect them directly to the back of the transom and shove the other ends of the longer water lines in to the nozzle of the pump in the bucket.  Turn the pump on and it should force water up and through the head and the exhaust flange.  If I need to keep adding water with the hose then I can, but my family has an actual jet boat and this is a similar way we use to cool the big motor when we are tuning up our actual boat.

Except we don't have a pump, we just use the hose water pressure, obviously.

When I was at the races I saw a sick looking external pickup that was similar to what you are saying RON, it mounted to the hull and then was basically a bent aluminum tube that came down right behind the prop, then had a through-transom hose fitting on the other side, it was really sweet.  I can't find it anywhere though.  
Old 03-20-2011, 08:36 AM
Ron Olson

Try Warehouse Hobbies for that part.
I found this one purely at random going through my saved sites: http://accu-techrchardware.com/PB-100.html
Old 03-20-2011, 09:41 AM
mistycreekboats

I use garden hose with fitting on end to run my boats at home - just turn pressure down ........ no pickup will pickup water without the boat moving without a pump............ period. Add or replace the pro Boat water pump if u want a simple pump...
Old 03-20-2011, 09:49 AM
wakeskater02

Technically, the prop blast should act like the pump forcing the water through the pickup. That is what most of the racers that were at Legg Lake said, here in CA.

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

I use garden hose with fitting on end to run my boats at home - just turn pressure down ........ no pickup will pickup water without the boat moving without a pump............ period. Add or replace the pro Boat water pump if u want a simple pump...
Old 03-20-2011, 09:52 AM
wakeskater02

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Try Warehouse Hobbies for that part.
I found this one purely at random going through my saved sites: http://accu-techrchardware.com/PB-100.html
It looks kinda like those ones, but where the water line is, that is all bent aluminum, all the way to the transom. It's sweet.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:19 AM
mistycreekboats

ORIGINAL: wakeskater02

Technically, the prop blast should act like the pump forcing the water through the pickup. That is what most of the racers that were at Legg Lake said, here in CA.

Ah no ..... if the boat is not moving the prop blast will NOTpickup water - prop spinning or not ........... the pickup u are talking about comes from Insane boats

They way it is postioned is for two things - to reduce drag and not interfer / disruptwith water flow to prop
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61237.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1581473  
Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 PM
wakeskater02

That's exactly it!!!! I could not find it on there site whatsoever! Anywho, so i did what you said and went down to home depot and used PVC and drip-line fittings to make my water-hose home tuning cooling unit. It works amazing! The motor I reved at about 3/4 of full power for maybe 3 minutes just to see how it worked and checked it with my bare hand to see if it was hot or not. AMAZINGLY, even the actual block and head were just slightly warm to the touch! Our hose fitting works amazing and keeps the engine super cool. SO... Thanks for that great tip, the whole thing cost me about $13.00 to make and screws right on the end of the hose. I actually put a ball valve on mine so that I could regulate the pressure right there rather than having to go all the way to the hose valve.

So, I figured out today that I am having a problem with a couple things on my boat. I my water jacket is leaking a very slight leak, so I am going to replace the o-ring that seals that. As well as my exhaust coupler, I will replace those o-rings as well. All are Bonzi and are all easy to replace and access.

A little more complicated is this throttle cable that we were all discussing earlier. So, I am trying to figure out how to set my idle, throttle and brake (To shut the motor off remotely). I originally tried it, but the cable and throttle assembly are bent and the connection where you connect the cable to the actual carb is very loose. I am going to order a new throttle cable and assembly for my 813A carb from Bonzi.

I am also really struggling to figure out my Radio settings. I am not sure what does what, I have tried to check out the manual but it is also very complicated for me. The motor in the boat runs great, now if I can only set the idle and radio....I would be in business.

Here is the carb piece I am talking about...

ORIGINAL: wakeskater02

Ah no ..... if the boat is not moving the prop blast will NOTpickup water - prop spinning or not ........... the pickup u are talking about comes from Insane boats

They way it is postioned is for two things - to reduce drag and not interfer / disruptwith water flow to prop

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.