Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Lawless / Stern Drives

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Lawless / Stern Drives

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:27 AM
01VIPER27
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lawless / Stern Drives

Believe it or not!!! You can get lawless and stern drives now too from;

http://arrowshark.com/home.php
Old 04-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Lawless / Stern Drives

Not sure Lawless would appreciate seeing the Arrowshark copies of their product being called Lawless - Just shows yet again that Arrowshark are "lawless" in what they make.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Nosedragger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to defend AS but didn't see Lawless anywhere on AS.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
01VIPER27

I will be the first one to admit that it was MYMISTAKE to call it lawless as it does say on their website it being an F1-11 drive.

Not to defend AS either as I am sure that Johnny Zhu himself can stand for himself but I do believe that they make good products and who is to say that the things we buy for our boats did not really originate from ASIA. It is quite possible that the design is American or even of European base but was made in ASIA for our consumption. Contracts may have expired between designers and manufacturers which allows them to sell in the open market. WHOKNOWS? Another example is RCMK's sterrn drive that went out of business and MHZ continual back order of their own unit. MHZeven admits that they now have a new supplier and I really wonder who that is but I do notcare to know.

I do not want this to be bashing thread please. I truly would like you to shut it down if it goes that route. Its not worth it...

My intent was to share knowledge of what is out there and is available to us.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry - was not trying to stir the pot. Just seems like Arrow Shark make plenty of nice stuff - just wish they could break the mold and do a little reengineering if they are going to so much trouble.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
JokersWild

AWESOME!!!!Now I know where to get a stern drive for my future 55" Vee. Has anyone from the US on here ordered from them, if yes, where did you go to order?

** EDIT ** Nevermind, found it, lol.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM
F1roddo

The stern drive unit doesn't look to bad, but for the price, but I hope that it would be able to hold up to the power that some
of the mod Zenoah's or RCMK's put out.

Bit more detail here on it.

http://www.radiocontrol-2005.com/MC611.php

Cheers
Chris
Old 04-04-2011, 03:00 PM
01VIPER27

Rated to 10 HP and is CRapplicable.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:15 AM
giantscalejim
My Feedback: (50)

I looked at it and have the following comments.

1) It doesn't look like they have an adaptor for the QD engines. Too bad!
2) The price is very expensive compared to the Lawless.
3) I don't know about ArrowShark, but I can always pick up the phone and talk to Fred from Lawless. Arrowshark???
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 AM
advanced builder

here's Fred right here. with Joe Petro and Cris Balkin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ur52220.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	1590530  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Nosedragger

ORIGINAL: giantscalejim

3) I don't know about ArrowShark, but I can always pick up the phone and talk to Fred from Lawless. Arrowshark???
when you call AS you get Sum Dum Guy (the janitor) just kidding

not to bash AS but being able to call someone for information is a plus, but the design of the AS leg looks pretty good. Theres not much thats going to go wrong with a lower leg that you can't fix you self.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 PM
01VIPER27

ORIGINAL: Nosedragger

ORIGINAL: giantscalejim

when you call AS you get Sum Dum Guy (the janitor) just kidding

not to bash AS but being able to call someone for information is a plus, but the design of the AS leg looks pretty good. Theres not much thats going to go wrong with a lower leg that you can't fix you self.
I would like to point out to everyone that I am not sponsored in anyway by Johnny Zhu of Arrow Shark who is actually a smart man. I can however tell you that he is a stand up guy and his products are of goodquality.

Nosedagger,
I am Filipino. The joke wasun-called for. Yousay youare kidding but yet you mentionedhis company name. I am sure you would have not joked about itif that was Fred of Lawless who is an American. Let us all grow up and stick to the subject of our hobby and not creed.After all,isnt thisenterprising and free trade anAmerican inspired way of life?

The subject is alternative choice of being able to get an outboardF1-11OR stern MC611 drive from anothersupplier.

Back onto the subject. I have always wanted a stern drive but could not find it locally when I firstboughtmy Aquacraft V24. RCMK had just dropped out 3 or 4 years agoatthe time and MHZ was either too expensiveifnot back ordered. Well, RCMK is still out of business, MHZhas a new supplier and the Euro pricing and shippingisSTILL more than what I can afford so I have started putting funds away to get my MC611 stern drive from AS. I no longer have the V24 but I stillwant one.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:20 PM
rcguy1411

i find it funny how everyone bashes the stuff made in china the stuff built there is cheep because that is how the companys who are selling want at some point EVERYTHING we use here in NORTH AMARICA will come from there bet you the clothes on you back are from there Amarican companies have boats built there to get the cost per unit down and maximise profit and have a certian price that needs to be met i am shure that i could have a boat built to the standereds of lets say a Class one Skater or a Mystic C 5000 it would just cost more money but i will tell you that the same quality WOULD be there most of the stuff that is comming out of there is entry level equiptment and is ment to cheep what was tour first RC toy i will bet most of us will not say it was a what we now call hobby grade it came from China we do get what we pay for and most of the stuff on the market is aimed at the NEW boater alot of us wont start in this with a Turbine powered MYSTIC i have seen some of the AS hardware and imo its better than some of the stuff at my lhs there is a draw back to not having customer service on this side of the pond
Old 04-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Since when did RCMK go out of business? That's news to me!
Yes, Fred Howe is a really nice guy and he worked with Joe Petro the past 2 years at the Toledo show. He took care of me while Joe was busy with other customers.
The Asian rip-offs are getting old. Fred isn't making a killing off them nor are they selling like hotcakes so it makes me wonder why someone would rip off his design in the first place.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:46 PM
rcguy1411

think he was refering to the RCMK stern drive as bieng no longer avalible
Old 04-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Nosedragger

i find it funny how everyone bashes the stuff made in china the stuff built there is cheep because that is how the companys who are selling want at some point
Its cheap because their labor is cheap, they don't have to live by the same safety or environmental standards NA does.

01VIPER27
I gave AS the benefit of the doubt on the lower leg, after seeing their attempts at copying both QD and J&G I have absolutly no respect for that company at all.I was being kind with my comments on the lower leg, thats the last time I do that.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:03 PM
rcguy1411

i find it funny how everyone bashes the stuff made in china the stuff built there is cheep because that is how the companys who are selling want at some point
Its cheap because their labor is cheap, they don't have to live by the same safety or environmental standards NA does.

01VIPER27
I gave AS the benefit of the doubt on the lower leg, after seeing their attempts at copying both QD and J&G I have absolutly no respect for that company at all.I was being kind with my comments on the lower leg, thats the last time I do that.
and thats why companies like aquacraft Proboat have thier boat made there but if said company wanted to build a BETTER boat they could if AS wanted to just copy they would just do it think they could make an exact copy of a QD if they wanted to i dont know enough about the QD and J&G who came first but isn t the designe almost the same so is one or the other a copy of the same engine
Old 04-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Nosedragger

Difference between QD and J&G is night and day. Both were doing it long before AS came along.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Ultimate48

every company copies what others do, it's life in business. It's up to the consumer " us " the buyer to find what fits us best !

AS has come a long way in a short time and will get better in time !

If you want a cheap car you know where to go, if you have the money for the " best money can buy " you know where to go !

We the R/C consumer will have to spend the $$$$ and test products that are new and let all others learn whats good.

Guess what, something new will be out next week to test !!!!!!!!!!!!

I found a company right here on Long Island N.Y. that will make a scale S-6 drive just like the one MHZ makes or just about any other product we buy, But are you willing to pay for it.

Made in the USA $$$$$$$$$$$

The fact is every thing we buy in this hobby is a copy of a copy from the full size copy ! just try and show me the original " good luck "

Let the copies keep coming, it's better for us ! Just stop bashing what you don't know about. Buy it test it and let us know !

MY 2 cents !
Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 PM
rcguy1411

do you have a link to the new drive as i need a few i have been looking for a couple i have the MHZ S6 but have been looking at the AS version as they are the only game in town right now but would like to here about the quality before i buy them think i heard that the new MHZ drives will be out in June its nice to have options and it will be good for the hobby and your right everything is a copt unless it one of a kind
Old 04-08-2011, 05:45 AM
LawlessMan

Ron,
Thanks for the compliments. You're right, the pace of sales of the gas drive is not really high enough to warrant copying, unless somebody knows of a market that I haven't found. I have sold drives in a total of 26 countries, about 2/3 of the states, and several Canadian provinces, and yet, the sales are still in quite low numbers. We are not a large community, even if you count all of the boaters in foreign countries. I would like to mention, for the record, there were absolutely no production outboard gas drives being made anywhere in the world, as of the year 2000, when I decided to design and build the first one. As a matter of fact, most people thought I was just plain crazy to even think that a gas drive was possible on an R/C boat. And some people were absolutely convinced that it would never become popular. Well, I have to admit that my first attempt was a bit of a clunker, but a few adventurous folks tried one. After the initial start, I re-worked the design to approximately what it is today and kept offering them. I have only made a few changes, mostly due to user feedback, and continue to listen carefully to comments and feedback. BTW, all of my design and development work was done right here in Upstate New York, and every part of every G-Drive is manufactured (or modified to suit) by me in my own shop.
This ArrowShark clone is not the first, and I suspect, not the last. My design is neither patented nor copyrighted, not could it be. I was "inspired" by my previous drive designs (3.5 and 7.5 nitro) which were "inspired" by the original grandaddy designs of K&B, which may well have had their roots somewhere else. There are also other designs that, being kind, I would say might have been "inspired" by mine, but the record is clear. The Lawless Cutthroat G-Drive was the first of its kind. I think that competition is a good thing, as nobody likes to feel that they have no choice.

One last note, I DO have an adapter available to run a QuickDraw Motor on the G-Drive. I also have an adapter available to run a Lehner Brushless electric motor on the G-Drive. Just ask me for it with your drive and I will include it FREE.

Fred "Lawlessman" Howe
Old 04-08-2011, 05:54 AM
LawlessMan

I was just looking back over the exchanges that prompted my previous reply and I had to smile. Who'dathunk?, as the saying goes, that the little ol' Lawless G-Drive would become the de facto standard by which others are measured, to the extent that it now almost seems to be a generic term, like "kleenex". What a world! Peace and good water.
Fred
Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 AM
Nosedragger

ORIGINAL: LawlessMan

Ron,
Thanks for the compliments. You're right, the pace of sales of the gas drive is not really high enough to warrant copying, unless somebody knows of a market that I haven't found. I have sold drives in a total of 26 countries, about 2/3 of the states, and several Canadian provinces, and yet, the sales are still in quite low numbers. We are not a large community, even if you count all of the boaters in foreign countries. I would like to mention, for the record, there were absolutely no production outboard gas drives being made anywhere in the world, as of the year 2000, when I decided to design and build the first one. As a matter of fact, most people thought I was just plain crazy to even think that a gas drive was possible on an R/C boat. And some people were absolutely convinced that it would never become popular. Well, I have to admit that my first attempt was a bit of a clunker, but a few adventurous folks tried one. After the initial start, I re-worked the design to approximately what it is today and kept offering them. I have only made a few changes, mostly due to user feedback, and continue to listen carefully to comments and feedback. BTW, all of my design and development work was done right here in Upstate New York, and every part of every G-Drive is manufactured (or modified to suit) by me in my own shop.
This ArrowShark clone is not the first, and I suspect, not the last. My design is neither patented nor copyrighted, not could it be. I was ''inspired'' by my previous drive designs (3.5 and 7.5 nitro) which were ''inspired'' by the original grandaddy designs of K&B, which may well have had their roots somewhere else. There are also other designs that, being kind, I would say might have been ''inspired'' by mine, but the record is clear. The Lawless Cutthroat G-Drive was the first of its kind. I think that competition is a good thing, as nobody likes to feel that they have no choice.

One last note, I DO have an adapter available to run a QuickDraw Motor on the G-Drive. I also have an adapter available to run a Lehner Brushless electric motor on the G-Drive. Just ask me for it with your drive and I will include it FREE.

Fred ''Lawlessman'' Howe

Its like tuned pipes, by nature of their function they are bound to look the same.

the x254 or whatever its called is down on power and lacks the same quality as the originals that they copied or attempted to copy. A QD is not a copy of anything that is full size nor is the J&G both are original.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
rcguy1411

i wasent trying to say QD was a copy nor was i tryinf to say J&G was a copy i dont know enough about either engine i thought they shared the same design ie piston with a sleeve as i belive is the way the QD is made all i was trieng to say is if i was to make an engine the same way would i be cloning it as i have never seen one or is it the evolution its like saying the second company to produce a V8 CLONED IT they all share the same basic design now i know there are outright copies bieng made and that is wrong imo guess what im saying is just caus somthing looks the same dont mean its a clone this is such a touchy subject
Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 PM
01VIPER27

ORIGINAL: LawlessMan

Ron,
This ArrowShark clone is not the first, and I suspect, not the last. My design is neither patented nor copyrighted, not could it be. I was ''inspired'' by my previous drive designs (3.5 and 7.5 nitro) which were ''inspired'' by the original grandaddy designs of K&B, which may well have had their roots somewhere else. There are also other designs that, being kind, I would say might have been ''inspired'' by mine, but the record is clear. The Lawless Cutthroat G-Drive was the first of its kind. I think that competition is a good thing, as nobody likes to feel that they have no choice.

Fred ''Lawlessman'' Howe

Its like tuned pipes, by nature of their function they are bound to look the same.

the x254 or whatever its called is down on power and lacks the same quality as the originals that they copied or attempted to copy. A QD is not a copy of anything that is full size nor is the J&G both are original.

People,
Lawless G drive = A BLOWNUPK & B (Asian origin) modified to accommodate a gas engine. This makes it a de facto standard and its ORIGINAL.
Quick Draw = A BLOWN UP design inspired by a Nitro engine (ASIAN Origin). Another de facto standard and its ORIGINAL.
CC racing Two Stage Tuned Pipe = ABLOWNUPdesign of a Nitro pipe (guess what), You guessed it, another de facto standard and its original

Nosedagger,
Do you own in the least a plainArrow Shark engine? I do, Its 3 years old and is in good running condition that will stand up to my American modified engine. If you dont own one, dont knock it.

Here is the transcript between Johnnyzhuand I about his new drives. <o></o>

<o></o>

Thu 03/03/2011 11:54 PM<o></o>

<o></o>

Hello Jun

Good to hear from you again, Yes, we areabout to release the MC611Drive very soon but not yet. I have attached theownersmanual here, so youwill be able to achieve more information there about this drive. Wehave nothing to dowith supplier of MHZ, plus, this drive has totally different construction compare to their S6.The MC611 is completeCNC billet version which MHZ is made from cast version. The retail price for the MC611 is around $435.00 plus shipping. it shouldbe released in couple ofweeks. Along with MC611 Drive, we will also release the Arrow Shark F1-11 Billet G-drive for F1 gas tunnel. This gas G-drive has function of both clutch system and drive collet driveto useboth end squared cable. this billet G-drive is much lighter than traditional cast G-drive in the market now. Both drive will be release at same time.

Best regards
Johnny
<o></o>

<hr width="100%" align="center" size="2" />

To: [email protected]
Subject: MC611 Stern Drive
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 22:10:14 -0500<o></o>

Hi Johnny,<o></o>

I heard that you are now selling the MC611 Stern Drive that was posted on JRCBD. I have a few questions about it if you don’t mind.<o></o>

-I did not find the drive on your site, is it out yet?<o></o>

-I have counter rotating drives on my 64F. Do you have a Right Hand Drive or can you use the regular Left Hand drive to drive a Right hand prop? <o></o>

-Do you have a blown or internal picture of the drive?<o></o>

-What are the dimensions?<o></o>

-How much are you selling them for?<o></o>

-Between you and I, I know that MHZ has a new supplier of their S6, you would not happen to be the new supplier for MHZ would you?<o></o>

FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS 64F
<o></o>

Jun Mangahas<o></o>

01viper27<o></o>

416*880*8072<o></o>

www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ZjYFuohIU

Unfortunately for Johnny Zhu of Arrow Shark who is the "SUMDUMGUYJANITOR" was inpired but cannot have his product categorized as a de facto standard and so therefore his are called CLONESANDORKNOCKOFFS! GROW up people! Its a hobby. Its enterprising and free trade - which is AMERICANTHUNK!

By the way beforeI leave this thread. Does any body here own a GUCCI, GAP, La Coste, Banana Republic, and yadidadida name brand products? Come on admit it... You know you do...

Fine!!! FYI... They are all ORIGINALNAMEBRANDS made by my relatives in the Philippines for the world market for their respective designers. Keep it between us Okey? OH! I'm not ASIAN but I am ORIENTAL! and yes one more thing! Did you know that the Lunar Module, yes the one on the moon is designed by an Oriental? YESSSITIS...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.