Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Time to get this show on the road(rio)

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Time to get this show on the road(rio)

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to get this show on the road(rio)

Well guys,as promised i'm back....Some of you may remember me...For those who dont,long story short:started with a rio51,the stock fuji never started and ended up with a broken pull starter and i couldn't get a replacement in the whole country...Ditched the fuji and put a zen g260 in there.Then the exhaust broke and leaked water inside the hull and the exhaust itself.Had to go to the army and let it as it was.

Now it's time to get it on the water again.B.H Hanson set me up with a nice exhaust.1inch band pipe,90 degree,25 angle down drop,exhaust stopper etc...Thank you Al

I replaced the throttle servo with a futaba with m.gears and i'm waiting for a waterproof 17kg steering servo along with a 2000mah pack.

Some photos for ya,and more progress as the remaining parts arrive[>:]

Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 AM
rcguy1411

Default RE: Time to get this show on the road(rio)

NICE love the paint good to here everything is comming together for you post a vid when you get her on the water
Old 04-29-2011, 04:17 AM
01VIPER27
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job. Hope to see you running soon. I would strongly recommend that you replace the radio box.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Thank you guys.I'll definately shoot a video even though the engine is not fully broken in...

Viper,when the boat is ready,i'll make a proper water proof radiobox

As for now,i got to take out that broken bolt on the engine's head[:@]
Old 04-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Bad news...Can't seem to get that bolt out of the head....
Old 04-30-2011, 07:18 AM
rcguy1411

take it to a local garage and they can do it and only charge a few $$ if not for free
Old 04-30-2011, 08:44 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Seems that i has in a hurry to judge the bolt situation.After an hour and a half,3 pliers and a saw blade i managed to get that damned thing out!I cleaned the head a little with 800 and 1200 grit and i think it's fine now.

What i want to ask is this:The blue o ring(may look black to you) that is sitted around the spark plug,is it supposed to be smaller?Because i think mine extend over time and i cant get it to sit firmly(picture2),but i'm not sure

Old 04-30-2011, 09:25 AM
01VIPER27

It should be fine.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:56 PM
danielplace

It is catywompus and in need of replacement but like viper said it will most likely seal and be just fine. Do a vaccum or pressue test once you get her back together just to be sure. Don't want the engine ingesting water spray. A new one would fit snuggly around the sparkplug plug boss. I have noticed that some of the corrosion sprays like WD-40 likes to soften and swell the little o-rings. I believe they are silicane and the large bottom one is Viton ??
Old 05-01-2011, 03:36 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Guys you are both right.It is a little bigger than a stock o-ring,but seemed to be ok,not great, when i put the jacket on.No pressure testing though,just water flowing through.Here are the measurements of the o-rings in case someone else needs them
small: 1.5x15.5 & the big one 3x40 (mm)

Daniel,yes some corrosion sprays will destroy the o-rings.I dont know about wd-40,i dont have a can in front of me to tell you.But,the head was sprayed with wd-40 a long time ago,so i guess it did some damage to the small one.The big seems fine...Now i'm using another corrosion spray that states that it wont hurt o-rings....Time will tell...
Old 05-01-2011, 05:54 AM
bruce5385

in the process of putting toxic zenoahs in my and buddys rios. (were just waiting on our pipes) i believe it is the best ting to do. ill try 2 post some pics soon for ya. love your paint job, now im gonna have to get one. lol
Old 05-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Good luck with yours and your friend's rio!Getting rid of the fuji,i agree,it 's the best thingLet the pictures flow

Thank you about the paintjob,i did it myself
Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Proggresing,slowly but still
Today i opened the hole for the exhaust.It was impossible to achieve the correct length or even come close to it,without opening it up...

Cleaned up with sandpaper

Test fit

I'm thinking to seal the hole with epoxy...Do i need a specific epoxy,high temperature for instance?And do i need rubber around the exhaust or it can go straight through the hole touching the hull?

Old 05-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Giorgos_cupra

I'm bumping my previous question...Will the exhaust burn the hole in the hull?Do i need high temp liquid flange or epoxy?Or plain ol epoxy will be enough?
Old 05-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Hardtime

I'd say it will burn.
High temp rubber gromet would work.
I too have a Rio but with a 26cc Sikk. I had a Hanson RPM pipe & #14 header at first but it ended only .25 inch past the hull.
Now running a Hanson1 inch banded pipe with same header so it now passes through the hull
perfect just 1.25 inch of the stinger.
There's a pic of my old setupin another Rio thread.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:55 PM
01VIPER27

You guys can do one of three things to use as insulator and transom sealbut you may need to enlarge the hole to accommodate the new set up.;
-use the original pipe boot that came with the boat.
-use a silicone NITROHEADERPIPE gasket (choose to either put the gasket lip inside the hull on the transom side).
-use a large bore silicone fuel line that is long enough to go around the pipe that will extend out of the transom and split one side of it using a sharp modeling knife. Now,insert the splitsiliconetube over the transom hole before you put the pipe through.

See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13543.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1611494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96002.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1611495  
Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 PM
bruce5385

i took radiator hose and heated it up with heat gun. then i pushed it over the pipe. next put pipe throught the hole i had to enlarge(origional hole) and siliconed(rtv) around it. works great. ill try to post some pics soon. breaking in the new toxic motors over the last few days.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 PM
01VIPER27

ORIGINAL: bruce5385

i took radiator hose and heated it up with heat gun. then i pushed it over the pipe. next put pipe throught the hole i had to enlarge(origional hole) and siliconed(rtv) around it. works great. ill try to post some pics soon. breaking in the new toxic motors over the last few days.
That will do too but I would have left theRTV out.... You will one day need to pull that pipe out sooner than later and it would be hard to pull that pipe out.. The bettersilicone touse is the RED tube AUTOMOTIVEGOOP. It is easy to peel off and alwayscomes out clean in 1 piece.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Giorgos_cupra

I specially like the idea of the silicon fuel line!Will it handle the heat?Viper,as i can see from your pictures you have the silicon line on your hull,right?How is it holding?Can it take the heat from the pipe or it melts?

Currently i have a silicon line left over from my car.It goes from the blow off valve to the vacuum nipple.Will it do,or i have to get specifically for fuel?

My second choice is the radiator hose Bruce mentioned.And i say second because i think it will be too thick and i have to enlarge the hole even more.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:13 AM
01VIPER27

I can guarrantee you that the silicone water line (best known as Nitro fuel line) will handle the heat.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:22 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Great!Thank you very much for the help Viper[sm=thumbup.gif]!I will finalize the exhaust tomorrow and fire it up by sunday.

I still have to drill the water jacket nipples,the hole in the transom for the bigger water line,get new fuel lines and a battery pack.Then i'm ready to head for the sea...I dont know about the weather though,we had rains untill yesterday
Old 05-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Alrighty then....

Exhaust is complete.Man!That nitro tube was a major PITA!!!I got the line from my heli and it had a weird shape,it wasn't straight.So getting it in there was pretty tough!

I drilled the head nipples to 3mms,put the new lines in and tried to start it.It wouldn't start no matter what!It was getting full of fuel and was fouling the plug.Even the exhaust had a large amount of unburned fuel inside.No problem though,after all this years messing with gas engines,i'm used to it.I'll get a new plug on monday and some o-rings and i'll be set[>:]

Old 05-21-2011, 01:24 PM
wilsta67

why is the strut off centre?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:00 AM
Giorgos_cupra

Hey guys,i fired the boat today...Funny story though...I bought a new spark plug today,a cmr7h.Then some friends stopped by and by the time they left,i have completely forgotten the new plug!So,i started the boat with the old one.Here is the video,nothing major:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzN1UmZH3ao

I got a question though...Why am i leaking a little bit from here?

Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 AM
01VIPER27

There should be a gasket or two in the pipe.
-The o-ring could had been damaged ifyou tried to insert the header into the pipewithoutlubricating theo-rings and header.
*Cure - replace o-ring and lubricate all surface to be mated in atwisting motion to reduce damaging the o-ring.

-header notdeep enough
*Cure - insert header to pass the o-rings.

-wrong o-ring size
*Cure - replace with properly sized o-rings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.