Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Soldering Brass Tube

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Soldering Brass Tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soldering Brass Tube

I need to solder my stuffing tube for a boat build that I'm doing. I've done the research on the techniques used to do soldering, but I can't seem to find out how much heat I need, what solder I need, or what soldering paste (flux) do I need. What materials work best? Can I use the same stuff that's used for soldering copper tubing? Please help
Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Soldering Brass Tube

I've soldered brass tube to steel rod using a butane torch and regular rosin core electrical solder...
Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 PM
toyotatruckin

stay-brite silver solder it comes with an acid flux, propane torch, keep the flame small and only heat it enough to melt the solder when you touch it on the tube, to hot the solder will just roll off the tube like water off a duck. It wont take a ton of solder just a couple small drops opposite side from each other the solder will follow the flux and flow into the joint nicely if done right, practice on a scrap piece first.
As for solders ive tried several other brands and kinds and havent found anything to wick-in and flow as nice as the stay-brite does-its also not real cheap, lincoln electric is re-badged stay-brite and home-depot sell's it
tower has stay-brite if you cant get it local

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFS75&P=FR

and if you have a home depot close
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=2205

OH might add a solution of baking soda and water will neutralize the acid left behind (69 cent investment lol)
Old 06-28-2011, 01:12 PM
ByronRC
My Feedback: (2)

Sweet!! Guess I'm going to have to take a trip to Home Depot on Thursday. I'd do it tomorrow but my race club called in some members to help at the lake tomorrow. Thanks a million for the help