Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Big Deep Vee??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Big Deep Vee??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:52 AM
V8Rider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Deep Vee??

What company makes a nice looking deep vee hull that is 70 inches or longer and is reasonably priced?
So far the only thing I have seen that fits what I'm looking for is the Apache by Expresscraft. The Bonzi boat is WAYYYY overpriced.
I don't read too much about any of these big boats being good performers, either. Any hands on info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-07-2011, 10:54 AM
f15pilot
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Big Deep Vee??

Here is an Expresscraft 72"Sea Hawk modeled after the famous "Cat Killer"which is the fastest mono in the world. Features a stepped hull and more than enough room for an S520 or twins if you want to go that route. Got mine set up w/ a full mod 28.5 but I have a S520 Imay try out in here. Speeds right now are high 50's.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:36 AM
01VIPER27
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if you like this 76.5” x 18” original Miami Vice Power Boat pictures.
If you want a little history on it and where to buy it, here is the link;
There is also thread here with this link;
Old 09-07-2011, 11:55 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MHz makes quite a few big monos but they're not really cheap.
Old 09-07-2011, 01:54 PM
f15pilot
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: sheograth

MHz makes quite a few big monos but they're not really cheap.
For the money, you'd be better off going with an Expresscraft hull. IMO the MHZ and HPR hulls are way over priced. I've owned an HPR hull and many, many Expresscraft hulls and would still choose Expresscraft over a Euro hull. Of course, this is just my opinion. For $350 you can get a 72"hull. How much better of a deal can you get?!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
SS RC Boats

Expresscraft is probably the only manufacturer that sells 70"+ boats for under $400. Everyone else starts off at around $500 minimum and just goes up from there.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:49 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Alex
Not sure about the HPRyou had but the one's I have seen were worth the money. I have had several MHZ and will buy 2 more this winter - Tom's stuff is good and fair priced - but there is no comparison (quality and weight)between the MHZ stuff I have (and had) - really hard to beat a MHZor PPB for quality, wieght and scale. And MHZare pretty tuff I stroked mine over last weekend at 60+ (just guessing) and no damage what so ever.

I always liked the GTX and lots of them out there - plus they appear scale looking..... and hatch is big enough to do some reasonable work on inside.... Nothing sucks like working on a big boat with a small hatch opening..

Just my 2 cents - personally if i was looking for a big mono and didn't want to spend the big $$$ - the GTXTom makes is a nice fair sized scale looking boat and at 65" is close to what you want. . I'm a Cat guy but do like the GTX.

Expresscraft GTX http://www.expresscraft.com/gtx.htm

Figure out a budget and see what fits in your budget. - check for sale stuff (on here) and other sites - someone may have what you want ...

Remember on the Euro stuff (MHZ - HPR - PPB) people on this side do not pay the tax so there is a good savings not as expensive as you think ............
if you talk to people over there (Shirley at MHZis always a great help)you will find some good deals .

71" MHZGTX http://www.mhz-powerboats.com/mhzpow...1d6d8fa8e54e7d

Have fun and show us some pics.

Cheers

Randy
Old 09-08-2011, 10:41 AM
V8Rider

Thanks to all that responded. I am hoping that Matt will join in with some info and maybe offer up one of his dry docked "extras"!!
I am still looking, so any further info would be greatly appreciated. Especially on how these big boats perform and with what drivetrain. I want to power this project with a two cylinder RCMK and single drive. With what I have seen so far, I am leaning towards the Expresscraft Apache but I'm not ruling out the GTX.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-08-2011, 01:04 PM
blizard05

Rick,your going to need a bigger pond!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:55 PM
wannagofast115

I would go with Ray from Recon boat worx's its a 65" apache not as big as you want but trust me the boat performs like its huge. In my opionion the quality is better than the expresscraft boats for only a little more money i have one of each a apche from Ray and GTX from Tom and like them both but the apache is definitly built stronger. Trust me size is not everything you can have a well built and designed hull at 65" and it will out perform alot of the bigger boats JMO, good luck
Old 09-15-2011, 03:24 AM
V8Rider

Do you have a web site for this Recon Boats? I did a google search but all that I found was some u tube video . I would like to see some up close pictures of his boats.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-15-2011, 04:00 PM
wannagofast115

He has a website but dont think its up yet you can call him hes a great guy to deal with and he will help you out with anything. His name is Ray 239-253-0905 tell him Scott sent you with the yellow apache he will know who your talking about i go and see him when i want a new hull witch lately has been often lol. Heres some pics of the apahe he built me its cut down to save on some weight because im running a single 28.5 it runs well in the high 40's buts its heavy compared to my gtx its just built a lot stronger no part of boat feels weak. Its yellow on top with carbon fiber in the gel coat.