Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

46" Gas F1 Tunnel 2011 build

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

46" Gas F1 Tunnel 2011 build

Old 10-12-2011, 08:18 AM
F1madness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46" Gas F1 Tunnel 2011 build

Hi guys,been working on this for awhile.Iv designed it from scratch with the help of a special friend who took the time out to help me with this,giving me pointers along the way.Still got alot of work to do but the main construction is all finished now.Powered by an RCMK 26cc,5.3hp,2 stroke she should move quite well and hopefully handle what ever i throw at it in terms of handling etc.alot of time and research has gone into this design and build but will find how good she once she hits the wetstuff.All the hardware is HOR strut,rudder,servo mounts.The servo is a 20kg,high torque 1/5 for steering,6kg standard MG servo for throttle5amp UBEC powered by 11.1v,2100,25c LipoIv 1ltr fuel bagProp is 7016 /3blade but am going to get some more props to test withStill got to modify the strut & bracket then mount the stuffing tube in to the hull.Still got to get some bits and pieces as i go along to complete the build once painted,which for now is what im concentrating on.Hope you like :
Old 10-12-2011, 08:23 AM
F1madness

Default RE: 46

Old 10-12-2011, 11:22 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work again Daz .
Mart
Old 10-12-2011, 11:31 AM
F1madness

Cheers mart
im pretty happy with it so far,still along way off yet and the weather aint helping LOL
Old 10-13-2011, 12:01 AM
BlueWave

Nice build mate. Have you any construction photos along the way. How you made the nose cone etc....

I'm real itching to build an f1, looks fab.

adam

Old 10-13-2011, 01:22 AM
F1madness

Hi guys,put together a quick slideshow of the build.
A big thanks to Bodyguard for helping with the design of this build
slideshow not working bare with me
Old 10-13-2011, 03:33 AM
F1madness

Try again LOL
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81EzAuBJO0w[/youtube]
Old 10-13-2011, 04:00 AM
BlueWave

con grats. Very nice work.

The centre and nose piece where they cut from foam and a mold made?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:11 AM
F1madness

Hi adam,i shaped the foam then fibreglassed over the top of it with some FG matting
Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Hesco Racing

It is a shame that such a beautiful built boat has to have a inboard motor. Just spoils what is a very neat package. It makes me want to just send you a leg to force you to put the motor on the back.

Cobus
Old 10-13-2011, 06:34 AM
F1madness

Hi cobus
Thanks,id love to put an outboard on the back of it but the lowers are so expensive and by the time duty and VAT etc becomes rediculous expensive
Plus not sure what changes id need to do the hull to mount an outboard till i got 1
1 day ill afford 1 just wont be for along whileso for now ill have to do it inboard
Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 AM
martno1fan

Inboard will probably run better anyway plus easier to setup ,cheaper and more reliable so i can only see positives mate.That said maybe you should take Cobus up on his kind offer and give one a go haha .
Have to disagree with his coments about been inboard spoiling the package isnt that the kind of thing that used to cause all the arguments before about inboard outboard blah blah,who cares if its inboard or outboard so long as it performs and those running them enjoy them.If someone wants outboard setups then buy them and for those that want inboard then its there choice doesnt make it any less a tunnel than the other so do what you want is what i say and ignore the negative coments.Maybe hes worried about the competition .
Mart
ps nice slideshow
Old 10-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Body Guard

Well put mate.
Now that the full scale F1 is also going to run Inboard, it will hopefully make the rc version be accepted as the same category. SA seems to be leading the charge in this direction which seems to be growing fast.

Welldone to F1madness for his perseverance in getting to the stage he has gotten to now. He has indeed grasp the theory of designing and building tunnel boat with performance to match.

Cheers.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Hesco Racing

The inboard motor on a full scale F1 is still prop thrust steering. Not rudder steering. So in principal it is still "out board". Having a fixed strut with a rudder next to it is not an F1.

And it is only cheaper because manufacturers ride the gravy train with outboard legs. With Arrow shark now making legs also it will come down in price. Just you watch.

And as for costs
Inboard
Speedmaster skeg strut 36
Rudder 55
Engine mounts 50
Shaft 35
K&S tubing 5/16 7
K&S tubing 11/32 7
Butch block 16
Total $206

Out drive +/- $300-$350
Not a whole heap in it.

Cobus
Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 PM
martno1fan

Theres nothing to stop anyone using a stearable drive on an inboard setup if they want my point is dont put them down because they choose to do an inboard setup.In fact id be inclined to prefer the inboard setup partly because its easier to find a good cog and ,also the drives im thinking of might be more reliable than the outboards and drives with gears, im thinking drives without gears and have a direct drive which are basicly just a stearable strut which are about half what the other drives and outboards cost.All im saying is lets not nit pick a tunnel is still a tunnel inboard outboard it shouldnt matter they should in my opinion be allowed to race together.
Mart
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47131.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1674094  
Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Hesco Racing

i would never put them down as a boat that looks good is still a beautiful thing and this boat he has made is stunning. But Mart saying a tunnel is still a tunnel is saying a hydro is still a rigger and they are miles apart. They flight character of a F1 is allot different to an inboard tunnel. At our last nationals we had a class for both and you could clearly see it in how the boats run. I agree using the drive in your pic would make it more in the same line and I tend to think that the running characteristics would be the same.

Enjoy your boat F1Madness whoever you run it. That is important don't listen to purest like me. We will always fight for an outboard F1 and how it runs.

Cobus
Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 AM
martno1fan

Its all good Cobus just making a point that theres room for both and thats a good thing sureley.
Let me just add this though what if the full size tunnels start using rudder steering and they find its faster ? .
Mart
Old 10-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Hesco Racing

I tend to say a well balanced setup F1 outboard would out turn a inboard. When you input rudder you have a skidding effect in the turn where a prop thrust points the boat faster. But that's my opinion from watching the boats race.

Cobus
Old 10-14-2011, 01:41 AM
F1madness

Hi guys
Thanks for all the comments

Hi Cobus
I have to agree with what your saying,an F1 should run an outboard,i raced the full scale tunnels with outboards,but my funding just dont justify the expense at the minute,hence why i chose to do inboard.
But this way i can run and test the hull to see how it performs overall,i know the setup will change,but once i can afford to purchase an outboard i will run 1.
Even the steerable struts are out my range at minute also as im tryng to get the FE tunnel sorted to start taking some orders and sell some.
the biggest problem here is nobody carries gas outboards and the spares,so this means importing,but with VAT,duty and carriage charges etc it gets rediculously expensive.

Hi Mart
I also agree with what your saying,an F1 tunnel is still a tunnel at the end of the day,its just how its propulsioned thats different,again it all comes down to funding.
The biggest problem here is the ltd supply of an outboard and the spares that go with,id hate to order an outboard,say for instance the flexi snaps,gotta wait weeks for another 1,but id want to order a couple of spare flexis to go with.
Its swings and roundabouts at and im trying to the best i can with what i got, to produce a good looking strong performing hull with funds and parts that are available.

Hi Latiff
Big thanks to you for all your help and advice/guidence,as you know iv worked hard to build these lastest tunnels and loved every minute of it
Iv had alot of good response from these last 2 builds more than i thought i would actually LOL.

somthing else i just realised is id have to change the engine cos of the exhaust configuration,just a thought that crossed my mind LOL

Take care guys
Daz

Old 10-14-2011, 02:28 AM
Body Guard

Hey Mart,
If the F1 is going that way too, then I have half wasted the huge amount of money I spent on the motor and lowers shown below.
I'll have to voice out that the F1 should stay with outboard with steerable prop thrust.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Hesco Racing

Body Guard you always tease us with pics that don't show. [:'(]
I don't think full size F1's would ever go to rudders.

Cobus
Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Body Guard

Try again loading the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64824.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1674114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58347.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	1674115  
Old 10-14-2011, 02:49 AM
Body Guard

Hey Daz,
Don't change the engine. RCMK is good. Just change the tune pipe to fit in under the cowl.

Good luck and thanks for the appreciation.

Latiff
Old 10-14-2011, 02:51 AM
martno1fan

ORIGINAL: Hesco Racing

Body Guard you always tease us with pics that don't show. [:'(]
I don't think full size F1's would ever go to rudders.

Cobus
Well if they do ill be sure to remind you of this coment Cobus ,just messing m8 .
I look at it this way theres allways more than one way to skin a cat(err f1tunnel lol) and theres room for all,no right or wrong way just do whatever suits you or as Daz says funds allow.
Mart
yes Latiff whats with the invisible pics lol
Old 10-14-2011, 02:53 AM
Body Guard

Hi Cobus,
I like to keep an open mind on the F1 changing to rudder and strut. It works well on the rc and how about the full scale unlimited hydros. Don't they use rudder and strut. ?

Latiff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.