Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

So I picked up a Aquacraft V24, now what?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

So I picked up a Aquacraft V24, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:30 PM
nitrousjunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I picked up a Aquacraft V24, now what?

Well I know nothing of RC boats, Im a RC car/truck guy but looking to expand my rc collection. A friend of mine had this boat sitting up in his garage and just wanted it gone, I only gave $50 for it RTR. now it does need a few things to get up and going again but for $50 i couldnt pass this up! All in needs is a bolt and bushings for the rudder and a top cowl thing. I found all the parts on Towerhobbies.com for $52.

Parts Bought include:
AquaCraft Machined Aluminum Rudder Control Arm .46-1.0
AquaCraft Machined Aluminum Rudder Support Assembly .46
AquaCraft Fiberglass Cowl w/Cowl Lock V24
AquaCraft GrimRacer Speed Grease Drive Cable Lube
AquaCraft GrimRacer Radio Box Seal Boot 2/56-4/40 (2)

I got it home and cleaned all the dust off of it, installed some fresh batteries and everything came to life! The radio and servos all work, throttle lnkage is a little wack (to be attended to), The motor turns over freely with good compression and it has spark. once all the replacement parts arrive ill gas her up and see how she runs.

I do have a few Questions.

What is a good mixture to use when mixing fuel, and brand ot premix?
What is this thing worth in running condition?
what (bigger) motor could I use to get more speed out of it?

thanks,
eric.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 PM
rcguy1411

Default RE: So I picked up a Aquacraft V24, now what?

for the price not a bad grab this hull was never a great one and the engine tends to crack at the exhaust port for a better engine a zenoha 26cc would be a great choice sale price running mabe $200.00 the good news your only into this for $100.00 run it till it dies (it will) then if you enjoy this side of the hobby you can get better products good luck have fun it gets addicting
Old 11-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

What is a good mixture to use when mixing fuel, and brand to premix?
I use Honda HP-2 or Amsoil Sabre but most synthetic oils for 2-strokes should work fine. Eight ounces to a gallon.

What is this thing worth in running condition?
Not much as when they discontinued production they were going dirt cheap. Run it until it dies or falls apart.

what (bigger) motor could I use to get more speed out of it?
A Zenoah 260. AquaCraft should have the parts that should bolt right on from their Rio 51-Z that would make the conversion easier.

Get that strut down as it's tilted up too high. It should be parallel with the bottom of the hull.
Do a search on this forum for your boat, you should be able to find a lot of info both good and bad.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:21 AM
drummer62161
My Feedback: (2)

I have one listed on this site that would bolt right in, with header $295 shipped
Old 11-28-2011, 05:59 AM
01VIPER27

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditch the radio box it will fail you on its first sinking. Close up the big gaping hole on the transomand run a 90*or105* 7/8" header and tuned pipe on either a 26 cc or 30 cc zen, sikk, or RCMK engine. Stick some floation on that hatch. It will sink to the bottom of the lake fast. I loved mine. I learned a lot from it. When setting the drive, set your boat on thetable on its keel and line up the stinger horizontal with the table. That is the neutral setting position for the stinger on that boat. For the trim tabs set the boat flat on either side and and adjust the tabs flat with the table.

Enjoy...
Old 11-28-2011, 06:02 AM
nitrousjunky

Thanks guys, I see there's lots to be learned, im hopping to get this running this weekend but well see!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:07 PM
coyv10

Before you even think about running iy make shure you install pool noodles for flotation
Old 12-05-2011, 06:46 PM
nitrousjunky

well after a week of Cleaning, fixing, loctite, and lube. I discovered that its has no exhaust gaskets and needs rear pushrod seals that go to the rudder. I cant find replacement parts anywhere and Im giving up. Putting up for sale locally and hopfully can make a buck on it.

I did get it to start and run. Simply Gas, prime and fired up on the second pull and ideled. WOW after a good year or better of sitting and it all still works.

Gas is just not for me. Im still thinking about getting a Brushless boat, something in the 24-36'' range that is capiable of 40-50mph area. but well see.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You shouldn't need exhaust gaskets, many run without them. The reasoning behind that is that it helps to transfer heat to the water-cooled flange.
If you really need some, I can send you a few free.