Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Which retrieval system is best?

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Which retrieval system is best?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM
TheFridge189

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which retrieval system is best?

Hi everyone. I am in the process of building A 72inch gas powered rc boat, and I know I am going to have problems with things like the boat stalling and such out on the lake, and I need to find a way to retrive the boat. I don't have a canoe, so it will need to be rc. I have a brushless motor and esc that isn't being used right now, so I am thinking of using that in an retrieval boat, or puttiing the electric motor in the gas boat and using a seperate radio and reciever just for the electric motor. If you think a retrival boat is better, how should I design it? Most retrivals I have seen are made with out board motors. Iwant to spend the least I possibly can on this. Can I have your pinions on the matter?
Thanks Rcu
Nikko
Old 12-17-2011, 01:31 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Which retrieval system is best?

A small inflatable is pretty good.I had a Sevylor 8' with oars and also a gas motor made out of a Homelite weedeater.It had a rug covered board accross it with a boat stand attached.Just have to be careful of the shape boats parts cutting it. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Old 12-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

While an inflatable or dinghy brings with it the risks of a person being on the water - it is the only way I know of to recover a boat 100% of the time (other than if the boat sinks).

Fishing rods and electric recovery options are great for many occasions but if that is all you bring to the lake you are not guaranteed to be going home with your model. This leaves people to consider swimming for their model which is when people end up dead.

I use an inflatable and life vest. While I can swim well - I have not heard of anyone drowning wearing a life vest.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Have to agree with that as well^^^^^^^^
Old 12-17-2011, 08:41 PM
TheFridge189

Ok. Thank you very much for the link on those dingies,they are actually quite cheap! I think I may have a retrival boat as well as the inflateable. Have any of you guys ever fallen out of your dingy?
Nikko
Old 12-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Justaddwata

I am a big guy so I use a big dinghy (No pictures of me in it)

I have taken along smaller inflatables but usually those I boat with will take it out.
Believe this was Larry who got pretty wet due to a leak in the boat. Sorry Larry!!

A buddy I have boated with almost died a few years back when the fiberglass dinghy he was in filled with water not far from shore. I believe it happened in December and water was frigid. I believe he actually went under a short distance from shore but someone had dove in to rescue him. Why I carry a life vest and use a multi chamber inflatable dinghy.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:21 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

My inflatible has four chambers so it's going to take a catastrophic failure to sink it, still have a jacket while out on the water in it
Old 12-18-2011, 05:45 AM
blizard05

After using Matt's raft,the "SS WET BOTTOM". I went and got one (no leaks) When the weather and water is warm,I have used a boggy board,swim fins and vest
Old 12-18-2011, 06:05 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are lake almost always has wind coming from east to west, and is cleared all the way around so we can get to it no matter what direction it goes but for us most of the time they drift back to where we run from, choosing a good site is not a bad plan either, we also use a fishing pole with a tennis ball,and a simple pole with a hook, i have diebeties pretty bad and lost my big toe 6 years ago, the wound has still not healed, so i can not even step in the water, lake water would be a disaster for me (infections)its big deal when you build model boats for a living, my point is just be careful. i still run quit often, its a great hobby.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Justaddwata

Certainly helps if you have a choice of sites to pick one with favorable winds and 360 degree access. I have yet to find one anywhere near me with 360 degree access (most have areas of weed, reeds, and over growth which can be a real hazard to recovery).

This morning I saw that mine (I live on a pond though dont really boat on it) had ice covering it which is not a welcome sight [&o]
Old 12-18-2011, 10:29 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i agree we are very lucky to have a great site, i did not mean anything by my post only that picking a great site is just part of planning, if you dont have a choice then you have to make do, all the suggestions are very good. for me even the water (lake water) in the bottom of the boat would be a disaster, my original problem was caused from jet skiing in a freash water lake in N.C . not even a open wound just cracked skin, now i live with it every day. i road race motorcycle and when i am walking in a parking lot im afraid of rain water puddles. go figure, lol
Old 12-18-2011, 02:49 PM
TheFridge189

Ok well I guess dingies can fail too lol. Also, my main site is a very big dam lake, so no chances of getting it at the other shore lol. I just really wish I could find a canoe for cheap. It suprised me how much they are, even on craigslist. Its not that I dont trust dingies (I am a very good swimmer too) its just I'd rather hve a canoe with a line to tow my stalled boat with. That would be a cool system.
Nikko
Old 12-18-2011, 08:31 PM
Justaddwata

Canoe is a decent option though gravity, canoes and I dont get along so well. I have seen some deals for used canoes a little while ago but now it is so cold I guess there are not so many on offer. One tip for towing in your RC. I use a suction cup as an attachment on the boat for boats that do not have hooks etc. Works well though make sure it is clean as any dirt will give you a round mark on your deck or hull.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:49 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a good inflatable now with a life jacket too. Swam once or twice 'cause of cheap boats... kinda cool waterwhere I live

For larger boats that I tow in I use small suction cups (for small dents - I bought from a body shop place) and a ice fishing rod .. nice and short easy to handle

Lets me turn around with inflatable.... would work for canoe (I fall in everytime when I'm in canoes ..lol)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27006.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1702002  
Old 12-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Justaddwata

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats
would work for canoe (I fall in everytime when I'm in canoes ..lol)
lol - good to see I am not the only one!!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Dockman

Kayak is the best way.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:09 PM
TheFridge189

Oh darnit I ment to say Kayak lol. I actually hate canoes too. But I love kayaks. I think the best setup would defnately be getting a kayak with a towing system. That would be cool.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:03 PM
Tombsy

if I had the cash for a new car topper I'd get something like this and stick my trolling motor on the back of it.
It's easy to get in and out of, I have a hard time with a dingy.
Most have oars as well and a rack on the back for carrying boats.
They are pretty popular for fly-fishing the Bow River here in Calgary.