Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Putting together a plan for a GTX...

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Putting together a plan for a GTX...

Old 12-31-2011, 01:58 PM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Putting together a plan for a GTX...

fridge those are the stacks, same ones raj ,from xxx boat works use to sell,his dad and mom live right up the street he told me about them years ago, randy im just saying you mention me posting my boats every chance i get. SO WHAT? its what i do, its no secret, my race bikes are surrounded by boats, they sit right in the middle of the shop, just went boating yesterday if you must know, oh and the day before, and it was not even the week end, man life is GOOD,HOW CAN IT BE BAD YOU CAN GET THAT AWESOME 65" CARBON FIBER GTX FOR 350.00 WOW now thats a sales pitch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66382.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1707796  
Old 12-31-2011, 01:59 PM
mickieb49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man , i thought this thread was about trying to put twin twins into a small hull?????   if you feel the need then do it,  it doesn't matter what everyone thinks about the idea,  for most people it is all about the build, how cool it looks, and not so much about performance,  sure a boat screaming at 70+ across the water is a sight to be seen and of course the sound of 4 exhausts is something else.
  It's people who try these projects that inspire the rest.
But i guess what would i know....
All the best of the build
Mick
Old 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM
expresscraft

thats what im saying, how many practical hot rods are there? who cares they are cool, i built a chetha for a guy with a nice paint job, nothing real crazy zen motor, i ran into him 6-7 months later and asked him about the boat, he said he did not like it much. when i asked why. he said he has 30 grand in cabinets and porsch flags and stuff in his garage, plus a 170.000 car, and when people visit, after he shows off his nice house he takes them in the garage to see his baby, and they all want to look at the boat,nothing wrong with cool.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:58 PM
rcguy1411

looks like another break out the popcorn thread lets see who gets put in time out every one here has made comments on how what to do at the end of the day its your money time and boat take all the info posted let it sink in pull out the credit card and go nuts its your boat build what YOU want we will all do our best to help you along the way and most inportant HAVE FUN its a toy boat
Old 12-31-2011, 07:22 PM
Boss 330

ORIGINAL: wantariva

Ok, so Im starting to put together a list of major items that Iwill need in order to build a quality, fast, GTX Ineed some insight and suggestions on the following items that Ifound on gizmotors.com:

Electronics:

volt watch II onboard receiver battery monitor
Futaba s3050 digital servo 90 oz/in. @6v. (either 2 or 3 depending on how I do the throttle linkage)
Through box seal kit (3 or 4)
Futaba switch harness
400mm Futaba antenna
Aluminum servo tray (2 or 3 depending again on throttle linkage)
Futaba futl7630 603fs receiver
Futaba 3pmx computer radio
Venom racing 5 cell 6v 1600 MAH
Venom fail safe
Double end 4-40 variety pack linkage rods (2)
Aeromarine #13 radio box

Drivetrain:

2 RCMK k-600 motors (gonna be a tonnn of power!!!! )
2 diaphragm water pumps
4 through the hull water dumps
2 through the hull water pickups
2 square 1/4" flex shafts (dont know length yet)
2 1/4" square drive collets
2 GMM racing drive dogs
2 RCMK Arneson drives (I think thats the right name for them?The steerable drives that were on another GTX build on the forum)
T bar
2 brass tubes

Hull:

Expresscraft GTX 65"

Things I definitely need help with:

Motor mounts (2 k-600's in a GTX hull is gonna take some ingenuity)
exhaust tips
exhaust (wont really know until Ihave everything in front of me)
cowl locks
plexiglass for the radio box cover

other than bell cranks and little odds and ends do I have a pretty complete list and will everything above work well with one another. I know someone is gonna pipe in about the RCMK's and reliability and too much power but lets save that for another thread ok? Any help you guys could offer would be great! Its this forum that got me this far in my thought process!! lol

edit: if I decided to go with clutches what brand can handle the power?Has anyone ever done a side hull exhaust?

This has already been done. here is a link to it's first run. Search on jrcbd for "Guchino" . He is a Japanese gentleman and uses a translator.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PewgjFHLfZc

Old 12-31-2011, 07:45 PM
Boss 330

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

ORIGINAL: expresscraft

randy you keep voicing your opinion about me trying to sell hulls, just to set the record straight i sell more hulls then we can make, i agreed with everyone about the single set up over the quad, that said he has already herd it and in another thread voiced this is what he wants to discuss, thats why this is a discussion form, most likley it will not go any further then this anyways. one thing is for sure the number of guys that can talk about the k-600 is a lot smaller then those that have built twin engine boats,the new motor does open new doors the prop they swing will be bigger then other inlines, trying to sell hulls? you dont know me very well.i spend as much time helping people with boats i did not make as i do with our boats, good luck on that idea though
Tom
Bash u ??? This is FIRSTTIMEIsaid anything about ur dozens of comments on various sites about - how you alwaays bring up ur boats and products .... What idea would You be talking about ?? I'm sure u can manage to slide a few more pictures of Expresscraft in and what products you sell. Dude too many fumes. Sell off some race bikes - buy a few boat parts (OFYOUROWN) and come play with us.

But now that you decided on having a go a me ................. bring it on .......

Have at er Tom

Zoom Zoom

Randy
Not the first time! What is it with you? You started a fight with Tom in one of my posts on the dock. You tried to start with me and i ignored you. You followed me to MGB, And tried again to start with me, appointed yourself the spokesperson for all of Canada and boycotted Expresscraft boats. You asked me why i did not respond to your question on the dock. I told you I did not respond to you because you appeared to be trying to start a fight and you appeared to be the sort of internet jerkoff I tend to avoid.
I have seenyou get in scraps here with Scott Schnider. .
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10..._1/key_/tm.htm

So what is it? need an enema ? were you not loved as a child ? Is it your nature to be so caustic and piss everybody around you? Do you hang out here just to feel like your opinion matters?
GETALIFE!
Old 01-01-2012, 01:33 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok children play nice .
First Randy is one of the good guys and like me was only trying to help the guy from making a mistake if his aim was to build a fast boat.
Talking from experience as a hull builder i can say without hesitation i would never encourage someone to build one of my hulls in such a way,i know what works on my hulls and what doesnt.Plenty have asked my opinion on setups for them and i allways say stick to one single powerfull motor.
Yes a few have used inlines but i have allways told them a single would be just as if not faster so bare that in mind.
I apreciate the coolness of a twin or inline build and wouldnt want to put anyone off but if someone asked me about a quad build in my new 72" CIGARETTE im working on id advise to stick to a single inline.Like i and others have said a bigger hull would be more suitable,sure a 65" hull could be used but some are way bigger than others,beam,depth etc come into it,the GTX is a narrow hull,even the 72" is narrow so quads are not required or preferable in my opinion.Fot instance i have a new 65 hull coming out next year and shes 20" wide now thats a big boat .Not wanting to put anyone off Toms hull just saying it as i see it that two inlines are too much for it,as for running in the sea with them forget it it would be swamped with all that weight and like someone mentioned it could well sink.
Mart
ps Boss i think your post is ridiculous grow up
Old 01-01-2012, 03:15 AM
expresscraft

so are you guys missing where he just wants info on the build he wants to do? we already discussed what would be better,ok point made, the apache in the video is not even 65" its not running that bad for its 1st or second time out, just so you know i posted a lot to help him on his build, and its not one of my boats,a lot of guys could care less about speed or money, or time spent to build what they like, look at the scale and ship modelers posting, more of them then us, and they could give .02 about speed, i kind of think this thread is in its second page if you dont like it, start one with another single whatever engine you like build and have a great day, i want to put a turbine in a gtx, and there are more guys that have done that then have real knowledge of the k-600, you know they will swing a 3216 prop, no heavy inline zen will do that at 18-19ooo rpms, oh did you see the video? it will work
Old 01-01-2012, 06:26 AM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I believe based on Boss's comments ............ he needs to be banned

Everyone knows your Tom's buddy and all you ever have done Boss man is ONEboat - which u can never keep cables in .....Lol Ur a funny little man

Seen ya round well maybe not after those comments ............Lol

Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil. If you have to vent, take it offline. We carefully monitor posts and will ban individuals who engage in offensive conduct within the forums. Thanks. (RCU Policies)

Not the first time! What is it with you? You started a fight with Tom in one of my posts on the dock. You tried to start with me and i ignored you. You followed me to MGB, And tried again to start with me, appointed yourself the spokesperson for all of Canada and boycotted Expresscraft boats. You asked me why i did not respond to your question on the dock. I told you I did not respond to you because you appeared to be trying to start a fight and you appeared to be the sort of internet jerkoff I tend to avoid.
I have seenyou get in scraps here with Scott Schnider. .
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10421479/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

So what is it? need an enema ? were you not loved as a child ? Is it your nature to be so caustic and piss everybody around you? Do you hang out here just to feel like your opinion matters?
GETALIFE!
Old 01-01-2012, 06:59 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Guys, several posts were just deleted for many different reasons. I want to remind everyone of RCU's posting rules.....specifically the one's copy/pasted below.

INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE:[/b]
The use of inappropriate, offensive language or language substitutions are not permitted on RCUniverse.com. Inappropriate or offensive language includes, but is not limited to, any language or content that is sexually oriented, sexually suggestive or abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, or that contains racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind. We ask that you please be considerate to other members in the forums when posting your messages. RCU is a place that is friendly to members of all ages and that parents know is safe for kids. We will not allow linking, mention or reference to any website or organization that contains any of the aforementioned objectionable content. Any posts or links made to websites containing such will be removed and a warning given.

HARASSMENT & FLAMING:[/b]
RCU members are not permitted to harass or "flame" other members. Please do not post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law. Please note that this also includes the posting of taunts on a forum solely for the purpose of demeaning that forum's topic and/or members.

Any questions?
Old 01-01-2012, 10:24 AM
expresscraft

The apache in the video looks pretty good, i think you would want to look into counter rotating the motors, we cant see it in the video but it sounds like the boat is hopping in the corners, this might help, the use of some onboard electric starters might be the starting solution, have not looked into how hard it would be to get them to start the motor in the reverse direction, i have one and will look it over, its from arrow shark, my first thought is just change polarity on the moter but there might be a gear that will not ingage in the wrong direction, i will ask all if a right hand k-600 is doable with out a problem, the boat looked real good going straight, i know we played prop games for a while, so im sure his first props are not the best,even though they look pretty good
Old 01-01-2012, 10:38 AM
martno1fan

Id bet that Apache is a lot wider than the GTX,my own 58 Apache is 16" wide,out of interest how wide is the GTX?.
Mart
Old 01-01-2012, 01:36 PM
expresscraft

our we still on why it wont work? its 15.5 " wide i think it will work just fine, the gtx is based off of 65" capricorn apache, we added steps and removed the strakes in the rear, then made a new deck, just like in the video it will work just fine, there is really no reason for it not to. you are reaching now, did you see any apache models beating up the gtx in bombas open ocean races, NO the gtx is as capable platform as any, i think the apache in the video is only 56" and the water he is in is also not dead calm,really move on, and post what you think would be good ideas if you WHERE going to do this build,
Old 01-01-2012, 01:50 PM
blizard05

On the flex shafts I would go with the one peice welded shafts On the motors,it's up to you,build it the way you want,after all it's you boat
Old 01-01-2012, 02:58 PM
martno1fan

Ive given my opinion and without insulting anyone so ill leave it at that carry on giving your advice he will soon find out if its good advice or not.
Actually the Apache you keep speaking about is 66" not 56" lol.
Mart
Old 01-01-2012, 03:04 PM
expresscraft

thats what we are useing on our s-520 boats we where breaking them then we went with a double wall stuffing box 5/16 sleeved with 9/32 its a must, that little bit of slop will cost you cables, i would stay with 1/4 i would not go to the 5/16 shafts some guys are talking about. its a quick fix but in the end its just a matter of doing it right, the extra power exploits any errors,these motors are fantastic,
Old 01-01-2012, 03:10 PM
expresscraft

i really did not know the size, but 65 is where the gtx is as well, i dont really disagree with anyone that posted a good single would be best, its just not what he asked for help with, we already talked about that before he started this thread,there are guys who race motorcycles that use 2 strokes, road racing not dirt bikes, they have to rebuild between rounds sometime. i cant see it my cbr got broken in at holmstead speed way and has never giving me any trouble, there 250s are faster then my 600 and wear out fast, who am i to say anything they have a great time
Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 PM
infinityteg

i dont mean to barge into someone elses thread buti have just got this hull and would like a scale build. I am looking at the s520 or k600 engine coupled with the WD200 splitter gear box into the WD200 scale stern drives. is this a reasonable build or would you still suggest the single 30cc motor instead?

stern drives
http://wd200-modellbau.de/?Antriebe%...#Length:_183mm

gearbox
http://wd200-modellbau.de/?Getriebe%...box:Getriebe_I

Thanks
Steve
Old 01-01-2012, 07:35 PM
Ultimate48
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: infinityteg

i dont mean to barge into someone elses thread buti have just got this hull and would like a scale build. I am looking at the s520 or k600 engine coupled with the WD200 splitter gear box into the WD200 scale stern drives. is this a reasonable build or would you still suggest the single 30cc motor instead?

stern drives
http://wd200-modellbau.de/?Antriebe%...#Length:_183mm

gearbox
http://wd200-modellbau.de/?Getriebe%...box:Getriebe_I

Thanks
Steve
Hi Steve

if you are not going to race your boat and just building for a scale look or a fun boat you can do what you want to .

check out this link to a RCU members gallery that built this GTX very nice scale build

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...ection=gallery
Old 01-02-2012, 03:09 AM
expresscraft

im getting ready to do a build with the same engine set up s-520, ws200 gearbox and clutch, remote electric starter and arrow shark#6 drives, we are doing it with a seahawk, (customer preference) but it will work just fine in a gtx, look forward to your thread, we are just ordering the gear box, and the boat hull has not been started yet, it will be good to change ideas with someone doing almost the same build.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:35 PM
wantariva

im amazed at how much this thread took off. some really great info has been put out there in this thread. some of the advice that i really need is general beginner type stuff...like what brand and spec components to use for my electronics and how to build a proper stuffing tube and how to oil it and why its necessary. the scale build that was linked to is pure beauty...super clean and thought out. is it permisable to have servos outside of the sealed box like that though and what box was that. also...where can i find the fittings for a fuel tank that would be filled via hand crank pump...do i just use the fuel dots that i found on gizmo. i am also starting to think about paint schemes...i think i want to do a ford mustang boss type theme...maybe dark metallic blue with white and flat black accents would look really sharp on a gtx hull. my other hobby is mustangs and i would use the same ford true blue paint code that my car is. i could also use some good links to learn how to glass in stringers and whatnot as i have very little experience with fiberglass. im really getting excited about this...now all i have to do is save the cash haha thanks again everyone and keep the suggestions coming. oh before i forget...that youtube link above....was that boat using two twins....if so im totally sold on four cylinders...it sounded amazing and had power to spare...he never really had it wound out by the sounds of it haha
Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 AM
F1roddo

ORIGINAL: expresscraft

fridge those are the stacks, same ones raj ,from xxx boat works use to sell,his dad and mom live right up the street he told me about them years ago, randy im just saying you mention me posting my boats every chance i get. SO WHAT? its what i do, its no secret, my race bikes are surrounded by boats, they sit right in the middle of the shop, just went boating yesterday if you must know, oh and the day before, and it was not even the week end, man life is GOOD,HOW CAN IT BE BAD YOU CAN GET THAT AWESOME 65'' CARBON FIBER GTX FOR 350.00 WOW now thats a sales pitch.
Not to take sides here, but Tom ..... thats a great price for a big hull and in carbon fibre too. I just wish shipping wasn't a killer as I am starting to like driving these larger hulls more than the smaller ones.

Wantariva, what ever direction you go with the build and engine choice, remember the main thing is to enjoy it and create something that you will be impressed with everytime you look at it. Giddy UP!!!!!

Cheers
Chris
Old 01-03-2012, 04:12 AM
blizard05

For tanks,check out Sullivan tanks www.sullivanproducts.com
Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 AM
expresscraft

hey pm boss330, he just retired from building some of the fastest mustang engines out there,he runs his boats all three with rcmk inlines almost daily, he held the pro stock #1 plate in motorcycle drag racing 2 years in a row, he is a pretty awesome guy.the fuel tank he is running was made from a drink bottle, and looks very nice, the boat in the video does have 2 in lines, that video is the boats 2nd time out, thanks for the compliments wish i had a better way to get our stuff to Australia, i will be working on this now that we have gone all boats in our shop, no sides need be taken everything posted was meant to help, matt and the other guys do a lot for the hobby all the time even if we do not always agree, they all have good info and i hope will stay in this discussion. even more so if it becomes a build thread,
Old 01-03-2012, 08:53 AM
wantariva

Sullivan definitley has alot of tanks to choose from. Thanks for the link. Does a book exist out there that has different build ideas and teaches the basics that I could buy and read over?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.