Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Putting together a plan for a GTX...

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Putting together a plan for a GTX...

Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Putting together a plan for a GTX...

the only model boat books i know of are old, you are on the right track, here on rc universe,just post what your idea is, someone will have info for you,thats all the net is, one big book with a great directory,remember the working version of the s-520 is only a year or so old, the k-600 is brand new, so info changes quick,what we know today will be the old way very soon, was not long ago homelights where the heart of some great projects.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:00 PM
ALTEREDINSANITY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know the weights of the RCMK motors = rz 254, K30 vs s- 520, K600 ?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
wantariva

ok then, what would be the ideal electronics setup then? servos, receiver, the works? (nice stuff that wont break the bank like the rest of this build is going to lol) What is your opinion on the rotation of the motors?  One conter rotating from the other? Other than e-mailing mr. park where can I find the arneson drives at (preferably on an American site)? As far as I can tell my biggest expenditures are gonna be the motors and drives....everything else is pretty reasonable for a hobby I think  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM
Boss 330

ORIGINAL: ALTEREDINSANITY

Does anyone know the weights of the RCMK motors = rz 254, K30 vs s- 520, K600 ?
A complete dressed S520 with mounts, starter, exh flanges and collet is 7.2 pounds.
A K600 is 2oz. more. ~14 hp from 7.4 pounds...Pretty tough numbers. And i will add pretty tough engine. I have three and beat the crap out of them.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:14 PM
expresscraft

maybe bruce can get the drives for you, i think futaba is pretty hard to beat for radio gear, there are some inexpensive good systems but its kind of like putting cheap tires on a sports car,not saying they do not work well just saying if a good name brand radio fails, and it could. at least you did all you could to prevent it, if you crash your baby and you have a 40.00 off brand radio in your hand it will make you wonder if it was a good move, JMO. think the motor was 5.8 lbs without a pullstart i posted it somewhere on this thread, and i think the single weight is pretty close to all the single rcmk motors mentioned, the 5.8 was the s-520
Old 01-03-2012, 07:16 PM
wantariva

so were talkin fourteen and a half pounds for roughly twentyeight horsepower....so we could double that and still be at one horsepower per pound....even eight tenths of a horsepower per pound would make for a beffy power to weight ratio
Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM
expresscraft

hey al looks like its a go on hard ware, he should be shipping it soon,glad to see you on this thread,what do you think about counter rotating and using a electric starter like jrod has, so there are no starter issues
Old 01-03-2012, 07:20 PM
wantariva

bruce who can get the drives...i dont know a bruce lol
Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM
expresscraft

bruce is gizmo motors he bring RCMK into the usa
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 PM
wantariva

whats the advantage of using an electric starter....seems like it adds more comlplication imho
Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 PM
wantariva

ill email bruce tomorrow then...thanks
Old 01-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Boss 330

ORIGINAL: expresscraft

hey al looks like its a go on hard ware, he should be shipping it soon,glad to see you on this thread,what do you think about counter rotating and using a electric starter like jrod has, so there are no starter issues

Something to think about,if counter rotated matched pairs of L-R props in the size range that may be needed may not be available.
If counter rotated using an electric starter is the only way to go. The RCMK starters suck.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a thought but cr isnt a must on large hulls,plenty have built even 56 Apaches with normal rotating twins and havent had any problems,as you know you are limited on props with cr.Personally as ive said stick to one inline and one prop solves all the problems and you will have a faster boat too ahh ooops sory did i say that again .
Mart
ps as for starting forget the electic starters that will add much weight go with pulleys and use starter belts but you will need a good powerfull starter.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 AM
expresscraft

we already went through a page of this he would not even be talking boats if it was a single engine model, yes im talking pullies and a hand held starter, so you would have less weight on the boat, the pull start on the engine will not start the right hand motor. prop selection will be a problem,two standard motors, will work like in the video. but i think its not turning as smooth as it could. this could be just a prop change to fix, as was posted earlier thats only his second run, ive seen many single engine builds start off much worse then his,and i bet in any town that boat would be the one remembered at the lake. its pretty cool,and does not run bad at all.most cr boats are not swinging 3216 props at near 19000 rpms,everything you think you know goes out the window with this much power, i do not mean that as a insult, there is a lot of great info from everyone im just saying things that work with most engines dont work on the s-520
Old 01-04-2012, 07:04 AM
wantariva

ok so Im going to go with two s-600's that rotate the same way...thats settled lol I e-mailed Bruce....I'll let you guys know what happens. I wonder if he would give me a discount if I ordered the motors and drives from him at the same time? Also, expresscraft, what is your leadtime on a GTX hull?
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 PM
expresscraft

right now 10 days to 2 weeks, we do not have any gtxs on the build table at the moment but we still have other boats going, a lot of that is drying time, its cold so we are letting thins sit a little longer between steps, just let me know and we will get it in the line up.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:29 PM
wantariva

sounds good buddy...i just wanted a rough idea when the time comes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:11 AM
wantariva

I talked to Bruce....he does not deal in the RCMK arneson drives...just for future reference

Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 AM
expresscraft

maybe i will have to ck into that, i would think it could be put in a box getting shipped over anyways, rcmk makes a lot of neat things other then engines i will drop mr park a line
Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 AM
wantariva

wow, thats nice of you! Thanks
Old 01-05-2012, 10:49 AM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr Park will answer anyone's email s
[email protected]<[email protected]">[email protected]

site
http://www.rcmk.com/

guys at Tough Racing (in Korea) carry a lot of RCMK stuff that no one else has
http://www.toughracing.com/zc126d/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=161

JMO

Old 01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
expresscraft

i meant to carry items bruce does not carry,i thought he had rcmk in the usa pretty much tied up, i know if someone had it, it would sell
Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a word to the wise concerning the RCMK drives,theyre unlikeley to handle the power of an inline has anyone actually used them ?,the guy who aquired the AMG apache hull from Adriano that i built removed them as he felt they were too delicate even for running two from one inline through a gearbox.If you want reliability id go with stingers and a central rudder,not as scale but less chance of failures,the more i read of this build the more im convinced its going to be a very expensive disapointment.You may think im been negative but id rather be honest instead of feeding you bs like some will (are).
Mart
Old 01-06-2012, 05:27 AM
expresscraft

good info on the drives, uncalled for on the remarks,how can you argue the video?its right there. the build is on jims boat dock, we can all see it working, maybe its just not up to your standards i dont know.but really now, im just being honest .your
showing your a^%.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 AM
wantariva

I appreciate all of the advice for and against my ideas...thats why I joined this forum...to talk with informed folks. Its going to be two rcmk inlines though. If it doesnt work out I'll sell them and put two k30's in it. Its worth it to me to try something different. I will look in to alternative drives. I agree that the arnesons may be a little weaker but I hate the way stingers with a rudder look lol What are some decent stingers/rudders?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.