Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Checking out aboat.. Need advice on what to look for

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM
TheFridge189

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking out aboat.. Need advice on what to look for

Hi all. This weekend i am checking out a craigslist boat. The guys says it runs good and has been started every day since I have been in contact with him. The boat is a 1/8 proboat miss elam. It has the 26cc zenoah pum. I'm just wondering if there are any specific things i should look out for when I go to check it out, mainly concerning the engine. This will be my first time ever seeing a zenoah engine, let alone one in an rc boat. Also, if there are any other specifics I shold pay close attention to, please let me know.
Thanks

Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Checking out aboat.. Need advice on what to look for

There should be several threads in here on that boat so try doing a search.
One big thing with any ProBoat boat is to check the flex cable alignment as sometimes the stuffing tube may be offset so the cable may be rubbing against it. Look at seals around the linkages to see if they're torn or damaged.
Hopefully you're not paying too much as it sounds like it's got some miles on it.
ProBoat built this one more for looks than performance. Too many people have bought their Miss Bud's in nitro and gas yet didn't have a clue as to what they were doing. People were impressed as it was a name and boat that everyone knows yet the hull was designed so that everything fits in there yet still keeps the look of the real thing. The problem then with the attempt at making them look as real as possible is that they don't handle like the real deal, more like a flat-bottomed boat than a hydroplane because the engine and radio gear are mounted too far back.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:50 PM
TheFridge189

Okay. Thank you for your input. I will be sure to check for the flex cable and linkages.
Regarding the cost, im getting the boat, 1/16 mamba brushless car and an eflite helicopter from the guy for $400. I have a feeling they aren't total junk too. He says he has to get rid of them because of a new born baby. I plan on taking the zenoah and the proboat gear out and putting the engine in my apache hull. I will then put what I had in my apache hull (twin 1/5 scale electric motors) into the hydro. I totally agree with you, in the fact that I feel like a zenoah really doesnt suit these hydros well. A compact yet powerful electric system definately seems like the way to go. So it still has some agility and power. Any thing else on the actually zenoah itself that I should look for?
Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Just have him fire it up, that's the main thing. If it starts decently and seems to run OK, that's more than half the battle.
You should be able to "recycle" a lot of parts from it as the radio system will be fine in another boat plus most other parts. Don't use the strut though as it really won't work well on any other boat.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 PM
glennb2006

And try and make sure it's not stolen goods he is passing on to you - receipts etc are good.

Glenn
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 AM
danielplace

Another boat! Lol.

Well since in reality what you are really purchasing here is a used Zenoah engine. Well considering what a used 1/16 car and cheap heli is worth to you. In unknown condition at that. You will soon find the radio, the hull, the clutch and most everything associated with these boats is poorly built it will all need replacing before long.

I would look for a second hand quality used boat and engine from someone you would get to know by going to a local lake club and getting to know the guy's and see hwat they have heard around there camp someone might be selling. The best part is the support and learning you will get out of going this route. It will be invaluable to help you start this hobby with less frustrations.

Those hydro hulls are not much good for over 40mph. The stock Zenaoh is about all you want in one.

The only way to really get ANY idea of the engines internal condition is by lifting the jug off the crankcase and doing a good visual check of the bore, rod, crank and bearings. You look for any excessive bearing play, signs of overheating, scratches in the nicasil cylinder plating or piston, pits in top of piston or cylinder dome. It is very easy to do and can often be accomplished by for the most part removing the four bolts holding it down. The ring must have it's gap centered on the ring locator pin you will find on the intake side of piston before you guide it back up in the bore.

Pretty sure you would be disappointed in most anythiong you tried to do with this hull other than just have some play time with it with the stock Zenoah after maybe swapping out the clutch for a collet. The clutches are the first part to fail. Oftentimes in only a tank or two of fuel. Wanna do something enjoyable and fast look elsewhere.