Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Spray Can Painting

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Spray Can Painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:08 PM
mjg202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Can Painting

Hi,
I am extremely proficient at painting with a spray can. I don't have a spray system or anything close. The boat isn't worth sinking $150 plus on a paint job. The boat is from China and is a Gas fiberglass hull. It is very good quality. I posted this on the general forum and had pathetic responses. My question is: What kind spray paint is durable enough to handle a 46" Gas boat. Surely there is a good paint out there that would be durable enough to do the job. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Mike
Old 03-06-2012, 06:56 PM
tapkoote

Default RE: Spray Can Painting

Krylon for plastic with a good clear coat
Old 03-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Paul M

What is a "good" clear coat?

I'd have to be pretty confident about how fuel proof it would be. That's a lot of work to see go down the drain with one splash of gas.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:02 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had good success using automotive spray cans doesnt really matter what make so long as its made for cars though some might disagree,then use a good quallity 2 k clear over it also available in cans and yes its fuel proof.
Mart
Forgot to say stay away from plastikote its horrible.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:23 AM
w3bby

You can get 2K directly in a can, [link=http://www.66autocolor.com/SprayMax_2K_Aerosol_Auto_Paint_p/spm-mix2k.htm]Spray Max[/link]
Old 03-07-2012, 12:31 AM
F1TUNNEL

I have been looking at cans also, I was thinking of trying Holts Dupli Color, its an auto touch up spray and comes in many colors. I also found a place near by that puts auto paint into cans for you. They could do cans as cheap as about $15 for basic unmixed colors, but not that many colors to choose from on the unmixed chart.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:30 AM
BH_Trade

Duplicolor engine enamel doesn't need a clear coat on top to be fuel proof, very tough paint, doesn't chip easily due to embedded ceramic particles, but the color choices are somewhat limited.  I did try their engine enamel clear on top and was very disappointed that it didn't "wet out" very well.  Tried Plastikote engine enamel clear instead and I was very happy with the final finish.

P.S. be careful with the Spraymax 2 part clear, wear a proper respirator if you elect to use that stuff, almost mandatory!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:37 PM
8MILLSNIPER007

I believe that the makers of "monokote" sell epoxy paints in spray cans and you can get them in many different colors.