Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

44" Mono gas to electric conversion ?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

44" Mono gas to electric conversion ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 08:17 AM
yamaha74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 44" Mono gas to electric conversion ?

I have a 44" gas mono that has a Misubishi T110 gas motor in it, that is pretty much worn out, / probably not worth rebuilding.
Anybody ever done an electric motor conversion ? ...or is it too pricey to buy an electric motor, speed control, battery's, drive coupler, etc.
The only reason i was thinking of going electric, is that having a dead gas boat in the middle of the lake is'nt much fun ...

Wondering if i should go with electric, or just find another gas motor ?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 AM
glennb2006

Default RE: 44

It can be done, you will need a big motor, big speed controller and big batteries!

If you are really set on it then go for it, but I suspect that you will find it cheaper to fit another petrol engine in there.

Glenn
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 PM
wetsleeves

It will be way cheaper to just purchase another motor than buying all the electrics.
If you dont purchase the right combo, motor, esc, batteries, then you will definiatly have a boat sitting in the middle of the lake, the only difference will be the magic white smoke coming from the hull.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:08 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a customers Navaho (Apache) shes 58" long runs on two cheap turnigy 600 outrunners 880 kv think he may have changed to twin himodel 910 kv he runs them on 6s lipos and cheap hobbyking 200 amp esc,s she runs a consistant 50 -52 mph on these setups and cost was about what you would pay for a modded zenoah so not too bad and she runs arround 8 mins but that would double if you ran two 6s batterys in parallel to each motor.If your worried about the cheap esc,s you could go with the turnigy 180 esc (seaking in another wrapper).If you wanted a single motor you would need something like a leopard 5692 on say 8 s,twins would be my choice.
Mart
ps go to offshore electric forum and you will get better advice on there for what your planning.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g5ZfT-bQ70&context=C40bf5daADvjVQa1PpcFNRpgimoWKg5FpxwQ_KhwnG EgNanUaYde4=[/youtube]
Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Myself, I'd just swap in another better quality gas engine as that will prevent a lot of headaches. Any stock RCMK, Zenoah or Sikk will be better than the Mitsubishi ever thought about being. Warehouse Hobbies has a new engine out that's getting some serious testing done and is so far proving to be very good for under $200.00.
Add up the costs of converting over to electric from the motor, battery packs, charger and ESC and you may end up with sticker shock even through a discount place.
Putting this in the gas forum you will get biased opinions, we like our boats as-is.