Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Dual rudder setup

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Dual rudder setup

Old 06-01-2012, 06:20 PM
xplayer930

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual rudder setup

Just purchased a zip kits easy vee today. Spoke with the owner about outdrive setups. I told him I want to have left an right turn capability so he suggested I run a dual setup. How do I go about doing a dual rudder setup? An is two servoes needed as well? Thanks!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Dual rudder setup

Octura has a dual rudder assembly that you can install on your boat's transom IF you really need it. Most boaters find that a dual rudder arrangement doesn't really help unless you really need to do high speed SHARP TURNS and can, if not done properly, hurt performance. It's your call as to whether you really want to go that route, just giving you a heads up and a source
Old 06-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Dual rudder setup

If you're not looking for blazing speed then you can mount a single rudder behind the prop instead of offsetting it. The only problem there is that you have to remove the rudder to take out the flex cable for greasing
Rudder depth can also come into play. Mounting it as low as possible will also help if the rudder is set up offset to the right but not insanely low. A turn fin on the left side can also help a lot with the rudder in the normal place.
Most Deep-Vee's will turn left fine for most people, you just lose the rudder depth when you make hard left turns.
I'd just try it with a single before deciding if you need dual rudders. Next I'd go with a left turn fin. This will save you the hassle and expense plus alignment of a second rudder. Toe them in or out and it'll kill the speed.