Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: For all you homelite fans!!!

It's been awhile since I have updated this page so I figured it was time. Sorry I have been sick with strep throat and a nasty sinus infection but I have been feeling better the past few days so I got some more work done to the boat. Tried shooting some primer on it but could not get it to stick good, It's just too hot right now so I figured I would wait till the weather cools a little to paint it. It's been getting down to 102* at night! Anyways I am hoping to try it out this thursday or friday but it is just so darn hot out! I will shoot some video of it when I do run it for the first time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us52538.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	1790208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yu63439.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	1790209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qv55811.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	1790210  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is the full crank , 4 bearing , 30cc homie I was telling you about . I'm almost finished with it and have test fired it a couple times . Here is a link to the video of it running . The flywheel , coil and pullstart are off a zenoah 23cc . All mods were done by me .
    Jim

http://youtu.be/V-uxvIVAQrU

Name:	Qn38237.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	113.4 KB 
ID:	1792270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Up48047.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	1792271  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looking good Jim! So how many more rpms can she handle with the rod supported on both sides? After I get this boat all finished and handed over to my dad I would like to build qne for myself, only this time I would like to build a homelite with a fully supported crank!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have bumped it up over 15500 rpm on the test bench and it is smooth as can be . All this is experimental , you won't know what it will do until it in a boat .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, they can sound great on a bench, but as soon as a load is put on them it all goes to crap! Did you stick to your normal timing numbers? Or did you have to increase the exhaust to get it to rev that high?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jim is it a 2 or 4 port? I know for a short period Homelite was making a 4 port cylinder, don't know if it was in 30cc or just 25cc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The engine is a 2 port  and I set the timing at 176 degrees on the exhaust ,so it should still have some torque.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let me know how it does in a boat. Are you planning on building a boat for it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm still tweeking on it , I have a guy who wants to buy it , but I might make it a winter project .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, we took the boat today for its first run. Right away we found out the 482 prop is too big as the boat would die if you gave it throttle so I put a 280 on it and it was better. I couldnt get the motor up on the pipe but I dont think the 280 prop is too big because I noticed that the boat was running really low in the water. When I would turn the bow would be really close to going under so I moved the prop up a little bit and it seemed to help a little bit but still wouldnt get on the pipe. My son was shooting video- or at least he was suppose to be but for some reason the camera didnt work? After moving the prop up, I noticed I no longer had water coming out my exhaust on the saw's but I did when I would turn, I need to move my water pickup down a little further I guess. I think I need to move the whole strut up some, CG wise it seemed pretty good it was just the whole boat was sitting really low in the water. I wish the video came out so I could get everyones opinion on what needs to be done... All in all it wasnt a bad first run, wasnt great either but it could of been much worse. It was really choppy and windy out as well, I brought my 31 inch and my heatwave but it was too rough to run them. The motor sounded good, cant wait to see what she will do when I can get it on the pipe!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have one of Jim's engines ,a 25cc Homelite converted to a full crank and it ran 51.3 mph on a police radar gun. I had it in a 48" hull,O band pipe and pushing a Prather 275 prop.With a lighter race hull and a different setup and prop I'd like to try for 55mph.

Name:	Us53355.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	1799036   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To44758.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	1799037  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hmmm, what kind of pipe length you using? all the home lights i ran 25 or 30 all ways ran 482 most stock and pitched up.
    mono with moded 30 and canister would run 48 49mph all day. and with a dry tuned pipe 54-56 mph. same motor is a
    the extra wide f41 stryker cat went 63mph. if only i could find new rings for my homme's, as the years have went one
    my best motor has slowed down some. last time out with canister muffler she run 45. and with pipe 52. she has
    alot of racing hours and even more fun hours on her

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the length was 12 1/4" or 12 1/2".Might have to try a bigger or smaller prop or maybe a special cut one.I ran in the evening when all fisherman were gone,but the water was as smooth as glass. I might have gotten a little more speed on water with a little chop.I get my rings on Ebay,but you have to measure the thickness,to get the right one if you don't know the model of the engine.I ordered some and when they came they were the thin ones ,when I needed the thick ones.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

here is my mono it is a north American Intruder it got bust up bad and to repair thats why that paint job is on it.
    wish it still looked like it did new. Sammy build great boats.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

with pipe the pipe is a mag3 pipe from north American

here is the only pics i could find of the cat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: silverz98

hmmm, what kind of pipe length you using? all the home lights i ran 25 or 30 all ways ran 482 most stock and pitched up.
    mono with moded 30 and canister would run 48 49mph all day. and with a dry tuned pipe 54-56 mph. same motor is a
    the extra wide f41 stryker cat went 63mph. if only i could find new rings for my homme's, as the years have went one
    my best motor has slowed down some. last time out with canister muffler she run 45. and with pipe 52. she has
    alot of racing hours and even more fun hours on her
    Is that 482 with a surface drive or a subsurface? I am running a subsurface. Sorry, just noticed your photos! I am sure I can get alot more speed out of her, I just have to get the boat up out of the water. I'm really bummed the video of it didnt come out as I am sure you guys could of helped me out alot.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So if I understand you correctly , you are running a sub surface drive , if you are there is your problem, raise that strut up so your drive shaft is laying in the "V" of the hull you will see a big difference in your engine unloading and the hull getting out of the water.
    Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

just looked at your pics and seen you are sub surface , i agree with chip it run better surface drive. all so put a flat edge on bottom and make sure your trim tabs tips are not touching water bend them up some if need.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Tidnab

I think the length was 12 1/4'' or 12 1/2''.Might have to try a bigger or smaller prop or maybe a special cut one.I ran in the evening when all fisherman were gone,but the water was as smooth as glass. I might have gotten a little more speed on water with a little chop.I get my rings on Ebay,but you have to measure the thickness,to get the right one if you don't know the model of the engine.I ordered some and when they came they were the thin ones ,when I needed the thick ones.
    My pipe is an older enforcer pipe that was designed for the homelites, but I didnt notice this until you guys mentioned it, the pipe is a 0 band and from the center of the exhaust to the band it is 9-1/2". Which would make it a high rpm pipe. It looks as if the guy I got it from cut both the front and some of the back off of it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah I was told NOT to set the Prather hull up as a subsurface drive because they didnt handle well that way, but I can still move the whole drive up quite abit. Going down the straights I noticed even part of the keel was in the water and entering a turn it would damm near run the nose underwater. It was pretty rough out but not that bad, no whitecaps.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That was one of the main reasons I bought the XPII drive for it was so I could set it up as sub or surface drive easily. After Listening to alot of people tell me not to go surface and I had allready setup the boat for subsurface, I was able to talk to a couple guys that had the same boat only setup as surface drives and they said they loved them and they handled great, so now I dont know if I should just pull the flex shaft out close up the bottom and try it as surface or should I try moving the strut and whole drive unit up as far as I can and try that?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: silverz98

here is my mono it is a north American Intruder it got bust up bad and to repair thats why that paint job is on it.
    wish it still looked like it did new. Sammy build great boats.

I like the North American RC mono too! I think the paint job yours has on it now looks pretty cool.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Prather hull wouldnt of been my first choice, it was built for my dad, he is a big Prather fan as we use to race the smaller mono in the mid 80s-early 90s and he always wanted a gas powered boat. I traded a rc car for this boat so I think I did ok. I am not looking for a barn burner, just something he can go out and play with, these days his hand eye coordination isnt the best!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i would raise it first see how it does before tearing it all apart. worst case that what you will have to do. thanks on the paint. but i do wish it still looked like it did when it was new. she been ran and raced hard but still a good boat. been thinking about redoing it this winter. and painting it like it was when new. it just wont be gel coat

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Raise it as far as you can , run it and if it improves , then make it surface drive , you will see a big difference . From the center of your pipe [ largest Dia.] to the face of your exhaust port . [measuring down the center of the pipe] should be around 11 1/2" to 12 1/4"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast