Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For all you homelite fans!!!

I have been working on building a 46 inch commander II with a Homelite 25cc engine. Instead of going with the stock Homelite motor mounts I built myown mounts in hope to get the cg as low as possible. It seems like the stock mounts have the engine sitting up too high in the boat. They might not be the best looking mounts, but they are very strong and I was able to get the engine much lower into the boat. What do ya think? This is my first gas build and with the economy the way it is money is tight right now so I am building every partI can for it instead of buying them. As soon as I get back to work I will probally put a RCMK or x-force engine into it, but I will see how this Homelite runs first, it has been moded by myself and I have a 167 carb for it that someone was kind enough to donate to me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj22456.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	1772102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tp46420.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	1772103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yd81515.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	263.9 KB 
ID:	1772104  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: For all you homelite fans!!!

where did you get the cooling cap for it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The cooling cap I made myself, like I said it's not the greatest looking but it works and doesnt leak a drop! I am not done with the water jacket yet, I cant deciede if I want to polish it or give it a brushed look, or just paint it...

Name:	Ay75866.jpg 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	1772148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	So42690.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	1772149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ns44134.jpg 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	1772150  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How did you go about making the water jacket and what is it made of! I am looking at doing the same thing. but mine is a 45' sparkplug

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you can still do it with a angled spark plug, you will need a lathe to turn the cooling fins down on your cylinder. The easiest way to do thewater jackets on acylinder with an angled plug is to use a piece of brass tube and a brass plate. I have a link that shows you how to build a jacket for an angled cylinder/head, I will pm it to you. Depending on what engine you are working with youmight want to consider finding a engine that has a straight plug, not becauseof the cooling jacket butbecausei believe the vertical plug engines have a better style head and are capable of making more power, maybe not in all cases but this is true in most engines. I cut the squish band out of my cylinder andraised the compression upquite a bit along with several other mods. On a angled plug cylinder I am not too sure that you can get your compression ratio up to much. If you are just planning on running the motor stock then you dont have to worry about it. You canfind good weedeater engines all over the place for a few bucks. What engine are you planning on using?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a decent link on how to convert a weedwhacker engine for marine use:
    http://testfly.0catch.com/rc-model/rc-boats.html

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can check out my build thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_91...tm.htm#9122459
    I am not anywhere close to being ready for the motor. I still need to get the boat hull built.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I dont know if you are into any other remote control vehicles like r/c cars or airplanes,  I traded an r/c car that I use to race for the boat that you see in the photos above.  It was a car I rarely used and I wanted to get into gas powered boats.  The boat I got in the trade is brand new, it's an older style hull that was popular back in the 80's and early 90's, but it will do just fine for playing around at the lake!  Just an option for you to think about!  Good luck with your build, I would highly recommend that you use one of the homelite engines instead of the others.  There are parts available for the homelites to help with the conversion and there is alot of info on the internet about homelites. Just my 2 cents...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks, I do not have anything to trade or i would have already this is why I have been looking at building my own. Just have not had the time to do so.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lee,
    One more suggestion I can tell you, about the whole soup can cooling head thing.  There are much better ways to go than a soup can, you can do like I did and use a piece of square alluminum tubing or round tubing.  I dont have a tig welder yet so I just made a gasket and used some machine screws to put the top of my cooling jacket on- works great... Also using a hole saw to cut the fins down is not the best method to get the job done as the hole saw will want to walk around on you.  If you google cooling jacket for homelite engine you will find people out there that will cut your fins down and install a water jacket for 25. to 30.00 plus shipping.  I will turn your head down for you on my lathe if you pay the shipping both ways, just let me know. You can also buy ready made cooling jackets for the homelites for 15-25 bucks as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thanks for the offer. I will have to see how things go first. Like I said I need to build the boat first

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Beautiful epoxy hull and installation !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

C.K.Y,- Thank you for your comment, I still have a long way to go though.. I have built that radio box that came with the boat- I used neo magnets to hold the two radio box covers on which will make it nice and easy to get into the radio box. I held the box under water for 5 mins. and not a drop of water got inside of it. Then I found out that if you use a gas powered engine in this boat you are suppose to use a different radio box, geez- this boat came with the wrong running hardware and the wrong radio box... I will be using the radio box I already built, I will just have to cut the stringers down a little bit to get it to fit right. The correct radio box for a gas engine sits up really high up and I am trying really hard to keep everything as low as I can in the hull hoping it will make it handle better, it cant hurt right!!

Name:	Qn38168.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	1772427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb89384.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	1772428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch96436.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1772429  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You bet Lee, the offer is on the table, I have the machines to do it and I would like to think that at least part of this hobby is helping one another out, I have had a few people help me along the way so just paying it forward!!

ORIGINAL: leebart121

thanks for the offer. I will have to see how things go first. Like I said I need to build the boat first

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 8MILLSNIPER007

C.K.Y,- Thank you for your comment, I still have a long way to go though.. I have built that radio box that came with the boat- I used neo magnets to hold the two radio box covers on which will make it nice and easy to get into the radio box. I held the box under water for 5 mins. and not a drop of water got inside of it. Then I found out that if you use a gas powered engine in this boat you are suppose to use a different radio box, geez- this boat came with the wrong running hardware and the wrong radio box... I will be using the radio box I already built, I will just have to cut the stringers down a little bit to get it to fit right. The correct radio box for a gas engine sits up really high up and I am trying really hard to keep everything as low as I can in the hull hoping it will make it handle better, it cant hurt right!!

Hi 8MILLSNIPER007
    I use wood to manufacture the RC box for many years, the photos give you a reference that it is a low center of gravity.
    C,K.Y.

Name:	Hf98729.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	1772594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vq52718.jpg 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	1772595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di98503.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	1772596   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ex68951.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	1772597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oz29875.jpg 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	1772598  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Of58059.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	114.4 KB 
ID:	1772599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zb59327.jpg 
Size:	140.8 KB 
ID:	1772600   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt68626.jpg 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	1772601  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those are some nice looking boxes and I thought about building one out of wood but I already have this one built so I figured I will use it. I like the idea you have about using o-rings to hold the radio box in, makes it easier to get the box out.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 8MILLSNIPER007

Those are some nice looking boxes and I thought about building one out of wood but I already have this one built so I figured I will use it. I like the idea you have about using o-rings to hold the radio box in, makes it easier to get the box out.
    Hi 8MILLSNIPER007

I use the sponge material with super glue fixed , Use the claw nuts in wooden frame.
    CKY

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

you doing good on the build man. one thing you might want ot think about on the cooling cap you made
    it looks great but you want the inlet for water lowest you can go and the outlet for the water the highest.
    as you want the water all the way around the head to cool and not have air in there as if you have air in there that
    will make a hot spot.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Silverz98, Actually the inlet is at the bottom and the outlet is at the top, it doesnt look like it in the pics. Here are a few more pics of the head.

ORIGINAL: silverz98

you doing good on the build man. one thing you might want ot think about on the cooling cap you made
    it looks great but you want the inlet for water lowest you can go and the outlet for the water the highest.
    as you want the water all the way around the head to cool and not have air in there as if you have air in there that
    will make a hot spot.

Name:	Pm34669.jpg 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	1774358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om33455.jpg 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	1774359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jg13965.jpg 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	1774360  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

this is where id do it. just trying to help alil.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Silverz98,
    That wouldn't really help out anymore than where the outlet is now, the outlet nipple is about a 1/16th from the top cover as it is now if I was to take the top plate off you would see it- the photos don't look like it but it is. Actually the best place I could of put them would of been on the top cover I just didnt want them up there. I Tested the water jacket by loosing the top a little and it gets water coming out by the sparkplug hole- you cant get any higher than that, plus if I use a bigger inlet and a little bit smaller outlet sized tube it will make sure the water is in there long enough to get good heat transfer. Hey this is off the subject but earlier today I read a post that you had made a comment about Prather hulls (called them junk), I'm sorry you feel that way about them. I know that there are newer better designs but I still think the Prather hulls are pretty good for playing around. I have a 31" commander with an OPS 40 in it and it will run 58-60mph all day long! Next time I take it out I will get a video of it running and of the gps after the run. You have to remember that if it wasn't for the Prather's and Dumas hulls the hobby we all enjoy wouldn't be what it is today. Back in the 80s &90s Prather hulls held a few speed records and were definately a competive hull, My dad and I raced one in the late 80s to early 90s at the club level and we did pretty good, had alot of fun doing it too! I can remember during one race I was side by side with another boat and all the sudden the other boat did a 90 and smacked right into my boat, the damage the other boat was obvious from where we were standing, and I was expecting to have heavy damage to mine as well but I figured I would try and finish the race. After the race I was surprised to see that there was no damage done to my hull other than paint, the other guy wasnt so lucky. I think Prather hulls are far from junk even by todays standards! Not trying to start anything just voicing my opinion!

ORIGINAL: silverz98

this is where id do it. just trying to help alil.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it ok. takes alot to get me upset. just trying to help out. Rember im not a new guy to this hobby. and have messed with hommies along time. was just trying to help. id like to see this post where i said that about prather boats. not saying i didnt but dont rember.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ok found that post yea i did say that. for a back in day for sport boater the prather hommie was ok. for a race boat it was crap
    just my opinion as iv worked on and seen meany guys have them and try to race them in our old club back when homelites
    was a big thing to race, needles to say the guys that had them sold them fast when they could not keep up with the ones
    that was racing WHH and North Americans. it is what it is. sorry it ruffled you feathers. I WILL get the carb i promised you
    out next week in mail.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I didnt know that this was you!!
    You didnt ruffle my feathers, and I agree with you about the Prathers with the homelites in them were/ are not competitive, I took it as you were speaking about Prather hulls in general, not the prather/homelite combo.  I think alot of it had to do with the prathers could be a pain to setup, but I dont know for sure as I was into racing nitro back then and the prathers running nitro were doing pretty well- at least at the club I raced at.  I am sorry for the way I handled your suggestion about the water outlet and I understand why you suggested to move it over (because of the angle the motor sits at), I caught that after I had drilled the holes already, I thought the same exact thing as you mentioned about the hotspot so I tested it and found out by running a smaller outlet it allows the cooling head to fill up completely and I think it transfers heat better. I do appreciate the suggestions. Just let me know where I can send the money to for the carb and I will do so! Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the build is moving right along, too darn hot to work on the boat during the daytime so I have been working on it at night. I got the stringers glassed in, still have to do some finishing sanding on the epoxy because the fiberglass cloth I used would fall apart as soon as I cut it into strips. Wish I had the kind that is sewen on each side, sure would of made life easier and would of looked better as well. Got the engine all mounted up, my mounts worked pretty good. I also installed the flex cable tube and cut the flex cable to length, soldered the prop shaft on the end. All that is left to do is install the radio gear and box, fuel tank and trim tabs. All I have left to buy for boat is primer, walbro 167 carb and a prop!
    If anyone has a walbro 167 or simular carb and would be interested in selling or trading it for some nitro boat stuff please let me know! I am having a hard time finding a 167 carb. I checked ebay and most of them on there are either missing parts or out of my price range.

Name:	Yw67741.jpg 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	1778101   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni23119.jpg 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	1778102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz68783.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	1778103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dx68066.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	1778104  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast