Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Any Gas Outboards???

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Any Gas Outboards???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Outboard Jay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any Gas Outboards???

F1
Want to see the vid...I have an inboard tunnel w/ the YPS outdrive that turns....really turns!!
Your new MHZ will amount to$$$$ ....Go do it to it!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 PM
F1madness

Yeah post the vid jay i always love watching F1's in action
The mhz drive is not that badly priced for me at mo with the way the pound is against the euro and wont have to pay duty etc either
Mhz do have an OB for gas now but only with a clutch system and the transom mount doesnt look meaty enough but i maybe wrong haha
Old 08-29-2012, 03:40 PM
specialk1

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: klord125

I saw on youtube a co. precision machine or marine? made one. Was wondering if it went into production. Really new to all of this. Thanks Ken
http://tpmoutboards.webs.com/ try this link .. Wade is a great guy to deal with
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50448.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	1796505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28938.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1796506  
Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Hesco Racing

Wade has made a beautiful leg but we are still to see it running on a boat at speed. My 2 cents on the inboard outboard question is what makes a F1 an F1. To me it is the fact that the thrust and turning is done with the prop where a cat (even one that looks like an F1) has thrust by prop but steering by rudder. The caudwell motor and drive system (developed in Cape Town RSA) has the motor inboard but the steering system is still by means of prop thrust. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4buTnduRJXc

Cobus
Old 08-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Outboard Jay

Right you are Cobus EXCEPT FOR DOMINIC YOUNG'S (South Africa - Cape Town) cambered out drive for an inboard gas engine that is rigged like an OB allowing the whole leg to not only move right or left but tilt into the turn which is very effective on a dog-leg course for example with left hand turns, not just all right hand turns....I have one and have driven it for fun...unfortunately,no racing, but it has proven to be exact.
By modern standards 2 cents is a worthy amount...all you who read this thread can vent in any way and that 2 cents would be well spent!
(This has been a worthy discussion thus far,...all are invited to contribute keeping in mind RCU rules and just plain respect for other's opinion and staying with the initial intent of learning about gas OB's from a world wide audience...ain't that grand!!!!)

Jay
Old 08-30-2012, 07:14 AM
Outboard Jay

TIME TO RE-LOAD:
For general info how do you rig your hull?
IE, what works for you: flex cable? steel rods? carbon fiber rods for steering?
1 or 2 servos for rudder?

Just in general, what are the steps you use that have been successful, and what should a fellow "tunnel bum" in PC land stay away from to save valuable time and $?

Jay
Old 08-30-2012, 11:21 AM
F1TUNNEL

Hi Jay,
All this info can be found on the other gas ob thread! I thought this thread was meant to be USA specific?
Cheers,
Dion.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Outboard Jay

Right F1....but I think it's a matter of educating those who don't have access to info...there's a built-in prejudice in the US....the more info that is at hand , the better...keep at em'...repetition is the mother of invention??? ....something like that....anyway I'm pushing/trying from any angle!! ....thanks for your input.
The more it appears on ANY thread, the better.

Jay
Old 08-31-2012, 01:09 AM
F1TUNNEL

You're spot on Jay!! Down here you will find most are open to everything to a point. It will be great to see the tunnels gain the popularity they had in the early nineties when I found them. There are so many more hull and end engine options nows which is a real bonus. You really need to con a few youngsters into the tunnel thing over there- get them off those ipads!!
All the best mate,
Dion.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Outboard Jay

It seems that the responses have run the course. There is a lot of "interest" and ideas have been exchanged on this thread and others.
So...the next step is to ask for all those running gas tunnels in northern California,or who might in the near future, to use this thread as an assembly place, ie, make known your willingness to be part of gas tunnel if you want this class to grow and flourish. I will be very happy to
keep tabs on a "roster" so we will all have access to others. I am now searching out a suitable site where we might meet and exchange more information and run our hulls in some sort of a fun-run venue.It's got to start somewhere and if we ALL participate...why couldn't gas OB tunnels eventually be as successful as the very active thunder boats????

IT'S UP TO US ALL AS "TUNNEL NUTS" TO GET ON THE BALL!!!

JAY
Old 08-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Body Guard

Hi Jay,
I'm right behind you. Hope everything goes well with your good intention.
Inboard or outboard, doesn't matter, as long as it's a tunnel.

Will post some pics when I get the chance. Hope it will help stir some interest.

Best Boating Regards.

La-Tiff
Old 09-07-2012, 06:47 PM
F1roddo

Hi guys,

Some of you may have already seen these pic's of my inboard f1 tunnel, but thought I would post up again and add some interest to this thread. I have been running this hull now for about 6weeks, and still testing setups and props. I changed to this hotpipe from Don Shanks and it works really well. I originally started with a voodoo 6717/3, which ran well, but got a couple of new props from Brent, at propworks. These two props from Brent worked exceptionally well, better than I expected. My inboard, as other inboards, is obviously not the traditional F1, but mine handles and runs just like the full size boys, its alittle hair raising at times.
I would love to build another F1 with an outboard scale looking setup, but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of geared scale looking drives out there. Yes, Wades unit is a beautiful piece of machinery, but to far out of my budget. I know of the 2brothers geared drive unit, again very nice and I've heard it goes very well, but cost comes into it again. I'm not really a fan of the other legs like lawless, Morty, Youngz and even the the new insane leg. I'm sure these legs go well, but for me .... well, just don't like them. I think Mhz also have a geared outdrive now, with clutch or no clutch, but haven't heard feedback on that anywhere yet.
I would love to see more F1 hulls offered and more options for geared drive units, this class can only go from strength to strength.

That being said, I think its comes down to many things, but mainly, if you are having fun building a F1 inboard / outboard or running F1 inboard /outboards, who cares what it is, or what catergory it should fit in.

As La-tiff said, Inboard or outboard, doesn't matter, as long as it's a tunnel.

Fun is the name and fun is the game!!!!

I will hopefully try and get some vid of mine next club day to post up.

Cheers
Chris

Name:	Mk25698.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1799186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15220.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1799187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13727.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	1799188  
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 AM
rcdoug786

We have two gas outboards built in Bakersfield and one more on the way. The LA area has 4-5on the way also.
We are all building the Insane F-1s and out drives.
Going to try to try to make it a spec. class. The motor so far is going to be a 29.5 Zenoah, 1048 carb and any pipe.

Photos of the first Bakersfield build attached.

Name:	Fd91028.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1802757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97603.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1802758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl18944.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1802759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37394.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1802760  
Old 09-19-2012, 10:42 AM
Hesco Racing

Not to sound pessimistic but if the 1/4" cable don't last with the torque of a 260, wonder how long it would last with the increase of the 29.5cc.

Cobus
Old 09-22-2012, 03:56 PM
rcdoug786

Jeff has many runs on his without failures.Take a look at the engine and shaft angles. Way less than most. When we start running over each other in the corners, it might be another thing. Shouldn't be long before that happens.

Doug
Old 09-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Outboard Jay

Rodman / Doug,

Thanx for the pix of your hulls...they look "MAHVELUS" ...I hope when you run your new Venom that it will all go smoooooth!
You might persuade your buddies to run a "dog leg" or a course where driving is paramount ...not just turn right and go fast!!
It's so much more of a kick to have a challenge at every race...by that:
I mean who ever is the CD sets up the course so that it's never the same ole' ole' ...the elongated NAMBA courses are great
for those who love MORE AND MORE speed..but to me they are BORING...driving plus challenge plus FUN is the formula for
true OB racing...we also had timed laps AND 15 minute enduros...with a running start and a required pit stop half way thru'
for every boat.

Next Sunday I'll be in SF at THE WOODEN BOAT PARADE ...it is held at beautiful Spreckels Lake in Golden Gate Park...all sorts
of fantastic boats in many categories...I'm just going to have 3 hulls...2 gas OB's and an collector's AMPS engine mounted on
a hull I designed in 1988 that ran under the sponsorship of ARCADIAN...THE FULL SIZE HULL WAS SPLINTERED AT HAVESU..
Keep us all in the OB world in the loop as you run 'em!

GO OB!!!!!

Jay

Old 09-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Outboard Jay

MY BAD!!!!

Insane F-1's not Venom!

Jay
Old 09-24-2012, 01:23 AM
F1TUNNEL

Nice boat Doug! Is that the Insane leg?
Jay, you will have to put up some pics of the boats you mentioned,
All the best,
Dion.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:42 AM
rcdoug786

Sorry for the delay Dion.
I have been horribly busy at work.Yes it is the Insane leg.

Doug