Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

forabuck thundercat hull

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

forabuck thundercat hull

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:20 PM
mxzrev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default forabuck thundercat hull

what do guys think about the forabuck 58' thundercat hulls..i have a chance to purchase one to put my quickdraw 35cc motor in...the guy wants 375.00 for it...it comes with all the hardware and servos installed...how do they handle and would this be a good boat for this size motor..just looking for any advice form some expierenced boaters to lead me in the right direction,thanks for the input.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: forabuck thundercat hull

Expresscraft make the Thundercat - Forabuck just copied it

The hull is very stable - perhaps too stable. even with a QD35 the boat will likely be flat through the turns. The boat is often set up to run wet - if you try to air it out it tends to want too much air.

Would not be my first choice of hull for a QD35 (or any decent motor for that matter). Boat lacks all scale looks. If your sold on the style and have seen the condition, hardware, and are satisfied it will work for you then it is not a bad price (depending on condition, hardware, and build quality). But at that price it is not a steal. I have purchased a thundercat with a QD35 for $650 and did so just to take the motor out of it. I have two thundercats and a forabuck. I cannot say I am super sold on the design though.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:01 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ihave and had several Forabuck hulls - okay play boat but I agree with Matt - some better hulls out there.

Just my 2 cents
Old 06-05-2010, 02:34 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

I have and had several Forabuck hulls - okay play boat but I agree with Matt - some better hulls out there.

Just my 2 cents
Think your his number one customer Randy
Old 06-05-2010, 03:13 AM
mistycreekboats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I'm sure I am ... but just rying to be honest with a ZSn it's a good play boat with a QD it's a waste of a QD ....... rather see the QDsmokin' in something faster ........ lol

How's things Mart ........
Old 06-05-2010, 03:55 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: mistycreekboats

Yes I'm sure I am ... but just rying to be honest with a ZSn it's a good play boat with a QD it's a waste of a QD ....... rather see the QD smokin' in something faster ........ lol

How's things Mart ........
Not having seen one personally i couldnt coment on them with any certainty but going on what ive seen and heard on the forums i agree save the qd for something better.
Things are good mate im receieving great feedback on the new Apache hulls im doing ,my main problem is going to be keeping up with orders but thats a good thing i guess so cant complain.We need to catch up sometime mate.
Mart
Old 06-05-2010, 10:48 AM
mxzrev

thanks guys...its not my first choice but the guy lives close by so i dont have to deal with shipping and that hassle...as for the boat its like new with speedmaster hardware,very good condition..i know its not a great looking boat,but i am pretty new to the hobby and building and setting a boat up is not my strong point right now,just want something to get my feet wet..it had a QD 35 in it already so i just have to bolt mine in,i need to keep it simple i guess for now...really not much boat action around here,no one to really show me the ropes of the hobby,thanks for the input.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:06 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Justaddwata

Expresscraft make the Thundercat - Forabuck just copied it

The hull is very stable - perhaps too stable. even with a QD35 the boat will likely be flat through the turns. The boat is often set up to run wet - if you try to air it out it tends to want too much air.

Would not be my first choice of hull for a QD35 (or any decent motor for that matter). Boat lacks all scale looks. If your sold on the style and have seen the condition, hardware, and are satisfied it will work for you then it is not a bad price (depending on condition, hardware, and build quality). But at that price it is not a steal. I have purchased a thundercat with a QD35 for $650 and did so just to take the motor out of it. I have two thundercats and a forabuck. I cannot say I am super sold on the design though.
How do you feal about the 50" version Forabuck makes?
I'm wanting to do an electric version
thanks!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 PM
henschel
My Feedback: (47)

forabuck Thundercat made for me. You decide. Least Vern gets back with me and builds what i want.
Attached Images    
Old 02-15-2013, 07:09 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not know about his copy of our boat, but I won plenty of races here in distric 3 throughout the 90"s with our Thundercat powered by a QD35, its a great set up. when set up correctly. The boat was modeled loosely after a talon boat. my Thundercat ran between 55-60 mph with the 35 and very reliable at that speed, and 10 years ago when guys still used the 35 those where very good numbers, great numbers for a 58" cat.even today that set up would not be terrible in offshore, maybe no first place wins but with simply finishing you would not be last either.we make that boat out of carbon fiber for 350.00 so its also a great deal.as you can see they do not run wet.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27701.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1852373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74776.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1852374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41777.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1852375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp40796.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1852376  
Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't waste my time or money on a 4a$ hull. From what I've seen of them, the lay-up isn't the best and cheap ply stringers. Get a better hull for that QD, it deserves it!
Old 03-22-2013, 05:07 PM
henschel
My Feedback: (47)

Ron you are right about that. Stringers are low grade ply. Lay up wasn't that good. I got a Expresscraft GTX from Tom and it is a lot better quality. You get what you pay for. Me my next cat will be a Expresscraft Thunderbolt