Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

***Introducing the R/C Boat World Championship Series***

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

***Introducing the R/C Boat World Championship Series***

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 AM
CC Racing Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ***Introducing the R/C Boat World Championship Series***

Guys,
We really do appreciate all the feedback, but please lets try to keep this positive. The race series will begin next month and the first race is just about sold out. We have had some single races here in the states in the past that where quite big in there own right and all have had racers from all over and other countries attend. The IMPBA Gas Nationals, NAMBA Nationals, Vegas World Cup and VooDoo World Championships all have done very well. The problem that was discussed among racers was that one race should not make a national or World Champion as one could just have a lucky weekend. I know I have won races at three out of four of the events mentioned and never considered myself a National or World Champion but just a race winner. This is exactly the reasoning that got us together to start this Series. Racers will have to do well at more then just one race to earn a Championship. Just one lucky weekend of racing will help the cause, but will not be enough to get you the big trophy at the end of the year.

As far as the name goes it will not Change this will be the RC Boat World Championships. We are going to do our best to promote the Series and hopefully it will grow. We have not ruled out anything and maybe in the future we can figure out a way that it can expand to other countries. As of right now Canada is the only other Country we are having talks with. I think that we all should give the Series some support and help it grow, as the hobby itself could really use a boost. Bickering about trivial things such as the name is not going to help anything. Things like this Series need to start somewhere and I am truly hoping that with the group of hard workers that have stepped up so far to help get this Series of the ground that it will grow and turn into something the Hobby itself can be proud of. The main goal for of all of this is promote and bring more people into the Hobby and hopefully this Series will help do that.

Maybe in the future we can have the winners of The RC Boat World Championship Series and the Winners of the Naviga World champs get together at a race and see who is the best at that time. Biggest problem with that is what rules do you race under as that starts another batch of issues in itself. After this first year of racing with the series there will be racers with rankings and that is also something that has never been done. If any of you guys would like to come to any of these races we would love to have you. The finals will be in November at the VooDoo Facility in Louisiana and I can assure you some of the best racers from our country will be there racing.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 09:24 AM
lohring

International racers have traveled to races all over the world.  In this country people regularly travel to Europe and have attended a" World Circuit" race in Australia.  The Las Vegas "Gas World Championships" has always attracted international racers.   Over the years, European and Australian racers have raced at the Winter Nationals as well as the NAMBA Nationals.  Joerg set the world model speed record in Los Angeles at the annual SAW event. 

The point is that if the event is attractive, people will come.  I would not expect many racers, even from the US, to make more than one or two races.  The cost and logistics are too difficult.  Still, it has the potential to help promote model boating.  It would be great if some of the established races could be included.

Lohring Miller
Old 12-21-2012, 04:14 PM
CC Racing Engines

Lohring,
You are correct that all of the big races mentioned have had racers from all over. We have had racers from Australia, Virgin Islands, Canada and Puerto Rico to the VooDoo facility. We have been notified that we will have visitors from Kuwait, Japan, Canada, Puerto Rico, Germany and new Zealand coming to the finals at VooDoo this year. This is a very new idea to promote our hobby and we are hoping that it all works out good and it is looking great so far.

We have welcomed contact from all established races and would love to include them if we can to the Series. All of us that are involved in this Series are very open minded and only want the best for our hobby and this Series. We are more then willing to make any necessary changes that need to be made for the good of the Hobby and the Series itself. We just need to get through this first year and see what changes need to be made. We will do our best to improve the Series as we go to only make it better with time.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Hesco Racing

OK seems the point Mart Ron and I was trying to make was lost. In you first post you state the following line

"Each one of these races will be a World Championship Series Race and at the end of the year the top point’s earners in each class will be crowned World Champions in each individual class of racing."

This is where we see the fundamental flaw in your approach. I respect that nearly all of your big races are world races in that anyone from around the world can participate. But when you win that race you become the Voodoo champion or the Las vegas gas world champion, you don't suddenly become the WORLD champion.

What you are suggesting is that those that are fortunate enough to partake in all the races of the series would be the only contenders for the WORLD CHAMPION in his class and that is not fair to the rest of the competitors that can not make it to all the races. So if you don't have a big bank balance you don not have a chance to become WORLD CHAMPION in you series.

But hay enjoy and the best of luck with the series and I am rooting that it would grow so big that you have to travel to other countries outside of the borders of USA to complete the WORLD Championship series.

Cobus
Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 AM
w3bby

I don't doubt the good intention behind the series in promoting our hobby however let's be quite honest here, the thing that gets the NON US posters is the use of "World Championship" for a National Championship under a National Federation. The Swedish Federation hold a series, all welcome, at the end of the series the winner is the Swedish Champion, the South Africans crown a South African Champion, the Germans, the British and I suspect most of the rest of the model boating world do the same. None claim world status......

What is wrong with the name North American Championship Series and North American Champion or for that matter, Continental? Absolutely nothing apart from maybe it doesn't polish the ego enough, attract potential sponsors as well or whatever.

North America is a continent, America is a nation, neither is a world....

I do wish you luck with the series and echo Cobus that maybe it will expand enough that the separate rounds are held in different countries and thereby qualifying the use of "World" in the title.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:06 AM
Hesco Racing

Could not have put it any clearer Ian. Well said.

Cobus
Old 12-23-2012, 07:22 AM
CC Racing Engines

Guys,
Honestly we never thought that it would be any type of issue with the name. There have been only a few guys on here that have complained and I have tried to explain everything the best that I can. This has nothing to do with anyone's ego, but yes you are correct it does have to do with attracting sponsors and individuals to our hobby. The goal of putting this on is to attract more people to our hobby and promote it. Things like sponsors and advertising and big races are definitely items that this hobby needs. IMPBA and NAMBA do not allow the words Nationals to be used in any races that are being put on unless you are grandfathered in from long ago. We have a website built and races that already have the name in the fliers and other issues. We have spent a tremendous amount of time making this happen only for the good of our hobby. Hopefully this will help clubs with races that attract large amounts of boaters and help secure ponds and lakes that are being lost all around us.

We are sorry that some of you guys are taking offense with the name, but the name will stay as we have too much time and energy invested in what we have already done. I hope you guys spend as much time promoting this hobby as you do complaining about a name. Putting on and coordinating a Series like this is not a easy task and take a lot of work from a lot of people. The time that people spend trying to make this work is time they could be spending with there families or doing other things. When all of this goes on it just takes away from the hard work that a large group of boaters and there families have put fourth with no other reason then to help promote our hobby. At the end of the day it is still just a name, but hopefully it will help bring more people into our hobby and that is what this is all about.

Again hopefully the Series will continue on the path that has already started and races will sell out and it will help grow our hobby. We will continue to have a open mind and possibly some time in the future figure out a way to have one big race where we can invite the winners from the big races all over the world to race at one event under one set of unified rules. For now we need to work to make this series a success before we can go any further.

Thanks for your concerns and please lets move past the name as it is here to stay. If you have questions about anything else with the Series please let us know and we will do our best to answer all of your questions.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Old 12-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Jackal1983

Hi Guys,

W3bby says it all really...

I'm going to be positive about this!!! I have no issue with the Name... Most World Titles seem to come from the states!!! Ive been involved with jetskiing for around 15 years and they have a World Championships in Havasu.Its a one off event held over a week every year.... The diffrence being you can qualify for it all over the world by racing in your own country following One Set of rules. You then qualify to be put into the world Finals in your own country.

This is how i think it should be done. You have the first part sussed and got the American Championship underway. You need a few more countrys onboard running the rules and the rest will follow to become world Champions. Its not going to be instant.... its going to take time to get other countrys on board... Id be intrested competing in the UK to compete over there in a one off event held over a few days!.

At the moment when you read into it it just seems like America is the World!!!!

The point is If i was wanting this World Champion status then how many flights from the UK would i need to take????..

Jack
Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM
CC Racing Engines

ORIGINAL: Jackal1983

Hi Guys,

W3bby says it all really...

I'm going to be positive about this!!! I have no issue with the Name... Most World Titles seem to come from the states!!! Ive been involved with jetskiing for around 15 years and they have a World Championships in Havasu. Its a one off event held over a week every year.... The diffrence being you can qualify for it all over the world by racing in your own country following One Set of rules. You then qualify to be put into the world Finals in your own country.

This is how i think it should be done. You have the first part sussed and got the American Championship underway. You need a few more countrys onboard running the rules and the rest will follow to become world Champions. Its not going to be instant.... its going to take time to get other countrys on board... Id be intrested competing in the UK to compete over there in a one off event held over a few days!.

At the moment when you read into it it just seems like America is the World!!!!

The point is If i was wanting this World Champion status then how many flights from the UK would i need to take????..

Jack
Jack,
Thanks for being understanding. With the rules around the world being so different for the racing that we do it is going to be tough to make it work, but I think it is possible. We are very interested in all options of making this work. We have even considered having races around the Country that would just Qualify racers for the World Finals. All of this is possible, but we need to get the Series off the ground and successful first. I like the idea of qualifying for a Championship race around the World and having a Championship race to decide the best of the best and I will discuss it with all the heads of the clubs involved. As of right now the only other Country to show interest in holding a race is Canada and we will be discussing options with them as we go.

We are very open minded about the future of this Series and we will make changes that we think will help promote our hobby and the Series. If turning this into a series that will host racers from around the World with a final race that will decide Champions then we will go that way. We have to let the Series grow some legs and support itself before we make some major changes. We need to get through this first year and see what adjustments need to be made to rules and so fourth. I would really like to hear from some Race representatives from other countries and discuss the possibilities of having qualifying races in other countries with the finals being held here in the States.

Thanks Again
Old 12-23-2012, 06:37 PM
MrMikeG

I think it's cool Carlos take the time and effort into developing a race series like this. If it went on to the final being the best of the best or a qualifing final it would be even better. Most countries have a class similar to the US classes and it would be great for other countries to hold qualifiing races.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Hesco Racing

Carlos if you were to set it up as Jack had said I would get in my car tomorrow and go lay our our course to comply with your rules and race our season accordingly so that our guys can qualify for a 1 weekend or longer world event. Our club have never pursued this as racing as Naviga is the only other body racing the M shape course. My gripe and seriously it is only mine is that with the start of your mail it was the first word anyone read of it and the system was forced on all international boater as this is how it is going to be and you will be WORLD champion.

Cobus
Old 12-23-2012, 10:08 PM
CC Racing Engines

Guys,
I will immediately start discussing this with the heads of the clubs involved in the Series. I agree that this could be a great idea that could help everyone promote the hobby and possibly turn the Series into a worldwide organization. Please understand that i am not the final authority on this and I will have to discuss this with everyone. I like the concept and will see what everyone thinks. I am not sure, but I do not think we can change the plans for this year, but we can start planning for the following. I will however see if the guys would be willing to make changes for this year. We will need to hear from the heads of clubs in countries that would be interested in participating. It is only possible if there is interest from other countries. I think if this is done correctly we could possibly find sponsors that will help fly qualified racers in for the race.

Let me make sure that we are all on the same page:
Each Country can host it's own Series of races or race that will allow racers to qualify for the World finals?
Only Qualified racers will be allowed to race at the Worlds Finals???
Winners of the World Finals will be crowned World Champions?
All Countries involved will follow Series rules of racing?
The Finals will be at the VooDoo facility in the United States??

Lets discuss this so I can fill all of the members of the Series in on this discussion.

Thanks
Carlo
Old 12-24-2012, 12:56 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CC Racing Engines

Guys,
I will immediately start discussing this with the heads of the clubs involved in the Series. I agree that this could be a great idea that could help everyone promote the hobby and possibly turn the Series into a worldwide organization. Please understand that i am not the final authority on this and I will have to discuss this with everyone. I like the concept and will see what everyone thinks. I am not sure, but I do not think we can change the plans for this year, but we can start planning for the following. I will however see if the guys would be willing to make changes for this year. We will need to hear from the heads of clubs in countries that would be interested in participating. It is only possible if there is interest from other countries. I think if this is done correctly we could possibly find sponsors that will help fly qualified racers in for the race.

Let me make sure that we are all on the same page:
Each Country can host it's own Series of races or race that will allow racers to qualify for the World finals?
Only Qualified racers will be allowed to race at the Worlds Finals???
Winners of the World Finals will be crowned World Champions?
All Countries involved will follow Series rules of racing?
The Finals will be at the VooDoo facility in the United States??

Lets discuss this so I can fill all of the members of the Series in on this discussion.

Thanks
Carlo
Hi Carlo,i think now you get what weve been trying to say .
I think if you can pull this off then this would be something to be proud of,sory if you felt i was giving you a hard time Merry Christmas and good luck.
Mart
Old 12-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Jackal1983

Spot on Carlo!!! 

The rule book as to be the same and there needs to be a governing body which will be you guys. 
Qualified racers have the choice to go to the states to compete at the world finals. 

It will be hard work but I think it will be well worth it buddy. 

Jack

Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Hesco Racing

Now your talking Carlo. See we are not so negative as you thought we were. Jack is right 1 governing body laying down the rules.

Cobus
Old 12-24-2012, 08:39 AM
lohring

A single championship race makes it a lot easier for people all over the world to compete.  Picking each area's best based on a series of local races would make this a real championship.  You might consider allowing the various local bodies to pick the local champions under the local racing rules.  That is, Europeans would race under NAVIGA, North Americans could race under NAMBA or IMPBA, Australians could race under AMPBA rules and so forth.  However, the championship would be held under the RC World Championship rules.  That way, existing local races could be used as qualifying.  Only classes similar to those in the World Championship would count toward qualifying.  As an example, the NAVIGA hydro classes would qualify toward the heat racing championship  races while the multi classes would qualify for the offshore championships.

A long time ago an automobile racer that was getting into model boat racing asked me what it took to qualify for the NAMBA Nationals.  My answer was his check had to clear.  This is a better solution.

Lohring Miller
Old 12-24-2012, 09:49 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: lohring

A single championship race makes it a lot easier for people all over the world to compete. Picking each area's best based on a series of local races would make this a real championship. You might consider allowing the various local bodies to pick the local champions under the local racing rules. That is, Europeans would race under NAVIGA, North Americans could race under NAMBA or IMPBA, Australians could race under AMPBA rules and so forth. However, the championship would be held under the RC World Championship rules. That way, existing local races could be used as qualifying. Only classes similar to those in the World Championship would count toward qualifying. As an example, the NAVIGA hydro classes would qualify toward the heat racing championship races while the multi classes would qualify for the offshore championships.

A long time ago an automobile racer that was getting into model boat racing asked me what it took to qualify for the NAMBA Nationals. My answer was his check had to clear. This is a better solution.

Lohring Miller
Exellent posting makes total sense.
Mart
Old 12-24-2012, 01:33 PM
CC Racing Engines

Guys,
I like it all so far and will talk with everyone involved. It will be up to you guys to promote this in the Countries that would want to be included. I would like you guys to have people that will be putting on these races to please get in touch with me so we can discuss and work out some details.

Lets see where this will go I am very interested.

Thanks for all the input so far.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Hesco Racing

Carlo it is great to have someone listen and take in what everyone says and not just bombard everyone with his/their own opinions.

Cobus
Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM
DaveMarles

ORIGINAL: w3bby

I don't doubt the good intention behind the series in promoting our hobby however let's be quite honest here, the thing that gets the NON US posters is the use of ''World Championship'' for a National Championship under a National Federation. The Swedish Federation hold a series, all welcome, at the end of the series the winner is the Swedish Champion, the South Africans crown a South African Champion, the Germans, the British and I suspect most of the rest of the model boating world do the same. None claim world status......

What is wrong with the name North American Championship Series and North American Champion or for that matter, Continental? Absolutely nothing apart from maybe it doesn't polish the ego enough, attract potential sponsors as well or whatever.

North America is a continent, America is a nation, neither is a world....

I do wish you luck with the series and echo Cobus that maybe it will expand enough that the separate rounds are held in different countries and thereby qualifying the use of ''World'' in the title.
I absolutely agree, to call it a World Championship is ingenuous at best and at worst I don't want to say. Just because other American series are called World championships does not make it right, they are also American championships or series and most people outside the US view them as such. Any real World Championship would have Championships or finals in various competing countries. If you want to have a USA championship and invite a few people from other countries then fine but that is still not a world championship. I wish you luck with your national championship and you are entitled to call it what you like, but don't expect many racers from other countries to respect it as such. As Ian (w3bby) says "Polishing the ego" does sum it up very well. I suspect many others outside the US will think the same way.
If you guys are good then go to a Naviga world champs and compete against the people there who have been whittled down through eliminators from many thousands of competitors from around the world, only a max of 5 in each class from each country is allowed in and they don't split up the classes regarding capacity to make it easy, for example in gas classes its anything up to 27cc and then 27cc to 35cc.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:09 PM
CC Racing Engines

Dave,
I think we have about kicked this dead horse as much as we can, but we do appreciate your opinion. Hopefully we can get some other countries involved in the future and make this a Series that everyone will want to be a part of. We all need to do whatever we can to try to promote our hobby and this is a start.

Thanks again and have a great New Year.