Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Other SS Swashdrive users?

Hi there, I am finally starting my jet sprint build using a cast stainless steel swashdrive jet drive. I had ordered this sucker years ago but the project got sidelined.

First question, does anyone know if Craig from Swashdrive is contactable? Last i read he had parts available for guys with this unit in case they broke something.

Second question, anyone here still running a stainless unit?

Looking forward to feedback.

Cheers!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Other SS Swashdrive users?

Welcome to the forum.

The stainless unit was heavy and heavy. Can't say I remember seeing any in hulls. I brought one to the US from OZ for a buddy and remember the looks I got at airport security. He ended up selling off the drive and had me bring back a RTR Swashdrive jetboat minus motor for him. It had the plastic housing and was considerably lighter.

Last I heard (at least 2 years ago) Craig was doing tattoo needles and was selling off all his molds for hulls and hardware. A shame as he definitely raised the bar with how he did things.

What are your plans for the pump?
    One of the better gas boat picture sites - http://imageevent.com/justaddwata

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info.  You are right in that these pumps are heavy, but talk about solid construction.  From what I remember, even with the weight of these SS drives, the boats were still wicked fast and maneuverable.  I like the idea of the extra weight as it'll keep the intake well in the water with less air intake.

I have a mould for a jet sprint hull, was thinking of making a few hulls and setting this drive in it.  

I remember reading that Craig was working on some new technology.  He had stated that prop drives are ~30% efficient and jet drives are ~36% efficient.  He went on to state that his new drive was upwards of 60-70%, was working on patents.  Never heard anything past that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Kalsc

Thanks for the info. *You are right in that these pumps are heavy, but talk about solid construction. *From what I remember, even with the weight of these SS drives, the boats were still wicked fast and maneuverable. *I like the idea of the extra weight as it'll keep the intake well in the water with less air intake.

I have a mould for a jet sprint hull, was thinking of making a few hulls and setting this drive in it. *

I remember reading that Craig was working on some new technology. *He had stated that prop drives are ~30% efficient and jet drives are ~36% efficient. *He went on to state that his new drive was upwards of 60-70%, was working on patents. *Never heard anything past that.

I think that Adam at Jettec took over from Craig. Check it out at www.jettec.co.nz
    cheers
    Remember, Always look after the ORGANIC part of the model

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi there,

I have finished a jet sprint not so long ago (minus sign writing) using the cast unit. I used to have the plastic unit of Craigs also (got stolen) but this unit i am quite happy with for now. heres a short clip of the first run of mine.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0EcWdukZLo&feature=plcp

cheers
    steve
    Infinity RC
    1/4 scale jet boats

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Steve,

Great video!  It's a testament to how great the SS units are despite the "extra weight".  What hull did you use?  And what is your engine package?

Cheers!
    Sean

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oh sorry, forgot to mention that part.
    Im running a stock RCMK k30 with a Gizmo torque master 2" pipe.
    the hull is one i designed and lay up

I was having a few issuse with the drive line where the round collet kept slipping on the flew shaft i was using. i have since moved to a double square ended flex cable
    on the jetunit end i am using a MHZ Coupler , regular square end coupling from any of the suppliers and a double square ended flex shaft from warehouse hobbies made to the length i specified.

cheers
    steve

any other pics or info your after, ask away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec89899.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	162.8 KB 
ID:	1836367   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa85293.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	1836368   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej13034.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	1836369  
    Infinity RC
    1/4 scale jet boats

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I ended up buying the remainder of Craig's spares and units for the SS unit, since sold most off but depending on what you are after i may be able to help.
    Mick