Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Can flipping hurt your engine?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Can flipping hurt your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can flipping hurt your engine?

I just finished my easy vee and took it out and ran it for the first time yesterday and It did great, I was surprised at how well it did because this is my first real boat and I dont have any prior experience setting them up and I haven't tweaked the set-up at all and It did very well, I dont even have trim tabs on it yet because I cant find one of them lol but anyways I was just wondering if it flipped for some reason could a hot engine being instantly submerged in cool water hurt it?
Old 01-29-2013, 02:59 PM
tapkoote

Default RE: Can flipping hurt your engine?

when it happens you want to imediatly
pull the plug, turn the boat upside down and pull it over several times to 
force out any water it gulped.
Dry the plug and start it right up.
Hopefully it didn't hydro lock and do damage.
Usually it 'll be just fine.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:01 PM
t-max97

Ok great I was just wondering. thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 12:28 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just on top of what Tapkoote says after youve started her up again after a dunk once finished for the day remove plug squirt in some wd40 and replace plug and slowly turn engine over to lubricate everything because it takes only a matter of hrs for the bearings to rust and be ruined.
Mart
Old 01-30-2013, 03:27 AM
neverthought

WD-40, stay away from that crap! It gums up after a while and will messes things up more than anything.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 AM
Jackal1983

The answer is Yes!!!

As soon as you see the boat going you need to be as quick as possible to shut the throttle down.... This will close the carb Throttle plate to limit the amount of water that can get in... Then shut it down if its no already had abit of a splash and stopped....

Once retreived take the plug out and pull it to get the water out... You will find with a pull start its easier to empty if you put the boat leant on its exhaust side... The water has two ways to exit then... The plug hole and the exhaust...
If your using a pulley and electric start just take the plug out and turn it over it will fire everything out the plug hole!!...

Dry your plug out... i usually spray with WD40 and put it back in... Spray all your coils as well if your on the salty stuff while you have the WD40 out they can play funny games when your trying to start and its not the best when your arms about to fall off because your pulling it so much!!!!!!!.

Get it started again... You might find a finger over the carb on the first pull will help it along abit! this will suck that little bit more fuel in....One started get her back on the lake to blow the rest of the water out.

If you fail to start it for any reason (IE electric box filled up!!! ) You need to get as much water out as possible.... A lot fire WD40 in the spark plug hole but the mist of the WD40 will striggle to get to the little Gudgeon pin bearing and the crank. Easyest way is to get the small red Tube that comes with the WD40 can and fire it through the carb with your throttle and choke open... Make sure your piston is right at the top of the cylinder and fire the WD40 or even Outboard fogging oil into the engine... This will then get all over your crank bearings and up top you need to get alot in there. Then move your piston down and spray into the cylinder through the plug hole this will coat the bores to stop them pitting.

Jack

Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 AM
neverthought

Here we go again with that WD-40, if you care about your engin, STAY AWAY FROM IT. It Will eventually damage everything you use it one more then do good. It's lubricating properties change when it dries and gets sticky, It's bad for bearings and electronics just stay away from it.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 AM
Jackal1983

Your WD40 must be different than the British stuff... Our WD40 is a very light spray can oil which evaporates after a day or so.... Never had it gum up tho. You can get another oil over here that leaves a right mess.... It's name escapes me!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 AM
neverthought

It is a penetrating oil and evaporates without leaving behind any protection, If you do use it to remove water make sure you oil it up afterwards with light oil like fogging oil, ATF oil or tool oil....
Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been using wd40 for years and never had any engine parts ruined even after several dunks in fact one engine i sold as used the guy said everything inside was like new and it had been dunked 4 times and ran for a good few hrs then left sat for a full winter.
Mart
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM
tapkoote

I'm going to add one more thing, the river I practice on has a tide. I.E. salt water
A motor I dunked once there, later turned a dark color, and at the end of the season
the top end failed. The aluminum turned color from the brackish water, I'm sure it did damage
to the top end bearings. If it happens again, I'd replace the top.
I also use a very good grade two stroke oil.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:40 AM
lohring

The biggest problems with flipping come from trying to compress any water in the cylinder.  If the cylinder mount lugs aren't bent or cracked the rod can be bent.  The most common problem that isn't obvious is a twisted crankshaft.  If the engine doesn't develop its former power, that's probably what happened.  The other problem is that cold water can crack the spark plug insulator.  The engine may run for a while and stop suddenly or not run at all if this happens.  I would change the plug in any case.

Lohring Miller
Old 01-30-2013, 10:39 AM
t-max97

Thanks for the info guys, The boat hasn't flipped yet I was just wondering in case/ when it does.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:52 AM
qdemon

One thing to remember if you've been running the boat in salt water when you get it home connect it to the garden hose and flush the engine with clean water or the water jacket WILL corrode up quickly this is a must do job.

Bob
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Jackal1983

Washing the boat out after salt water is a totally different ball game!!!
I usually get it home fill a bucket with warm soapy water and tip it in the hull... 
The put my finger over the carb and lit the boat up and move the hull around to wash the inside of the hull!!
Tip the water out and...  Connect the motor to the hose and start the motor... Then turn the tap on... I do it like this because if there is any water leaking from an oring it will blow it straight out.
Then turn the tap off and turn then motor off.

I blow the water out of the cooling lines with the airline and blow the engine off with the airline!!! 
Wait for It to dry and spray with WD40. I run in salt water most weekends with the engine getting dunked at least twice a day. I have never had an engine fade or go wrong with the salt water!!! 

Just needs abit more care and time!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:14 PM
t-max97

Thanks guys but there's no salt water within 7 hours of here so thats not a problem.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:11 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks guys sounds like I have been doing pretty good with mine after a float plane or two mishap good thread!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:24 PM
dadragon

3 in 1 oil or deisel works well for when I dunk a motor float flying.