Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

cooling problem

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

cooling problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 AM
dsawyer44

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cooling problem

I have a mcCulloch ingine in my gas boat, that was modified with a water cooling head. It looks like someone used jbweld to seal the head. Is this the accepted method. It is leaking water in the boat and i need to reseal it somehow.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:05 AM
nitrohunter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: cooling problem

Take a picture of your issue and post it. It helps us understand exactly where you are getting your leak from. and remove the cooling head to see as well your issue. thanks
Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
slider46

Most cooling caps seal to the deck with an O-ring not J+B weld...
Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As already stated most cooling heads use O rings and are held on by screws on the top. I have a 30cc Ryobi/Homelite that was converted and modded by Boatman Hobbies when that site was active.It has an aluminum tube for the cooling head that is held on and sealed with JB Weld quick set and in the 8 yrs I've had it, it has never leaked.Problem is you can't take it off to clean the cylinder of corrosion.I put CLR into the head and let it sit over night and flush it out and do it a second time. The CLR disolves the crud out of it and as you keep flushing it till the water is clear.The red engine has the JB welded top and the yellow one has screws and O rings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33646.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	1877733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65891.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1877734  
Old 04-30-2013, 03:15 PM
danielplace

We used to do the McCollochs the same way and actually the entire roof of the exhaust was 100% JB weld. It is amazing stuff. I never had one fail after being modded in this fashion.

It is hard to advise what you best course of action is exactly to fix this issue with the water leak. If it is JB welded down then removing it may cause you more damage than can be fixed. Is it leaking where the JB weld is.

Might just need a really good cleaning at the leak and scuff it up adding a fresh fillet of JB to seal it up. ??? Hard to ghive good advice on something like this without almost seeing the thing in person. Post some clear pictures pointing out exactly where the leak is.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:28 PM
dsawyer44

I cleaned the head good and reapplied jb weld. It seems to be sealed at least for the time being. The coil is fastened to the head with jb weld, at least i think it is. Thanks for everyones help. I can't tell, but it looks like these coils must be open on the inside.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:53 PM
scales10

i was thinking about making my own water cooling setup like this but i dont wanna f it up lol, so the coil still has to have contact with the head to spark properly correct? i was wondering if i could make a setup and when i tightened the spark plug in it would seal the cooling unit
Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 PM
nitrohunter

That does not sounds to secured but you can tired only issue i seeing is insuring the gap space between the piston is not to far apart.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:35 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You say the coil is fastened to the head.I've had McCullochs and the coil is attached to the metal shroud that's behind the flywheel and holds it over the flywheel.On the McCullochs I've had ,if you take off the flywheel there are three screws that hold the shroud to the engine.Easy engines to convert to airplane use.As nitrohunter said ,post some pics of the engine,

Last edited by Tidnab; 01-04-2014 at 12:37 PM.