Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

first gas boat intallation help

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

first gas boat intallation help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 02:47 PM
boatpro8898

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first gas boat intallation help

Hi I am new here and looking for advise I have a mono hull about 4 ft recently I started byeing everything I need I have a 26 cc Zenoah clone engine brand new water cooled http://www.ebay.com/itm/121139580404...84.m1423.l2649 I also bought the dirve system http://www.ebay.com/itm/151034289265...84.m1423.l2649 with the collet to go with it I have a hitec 75 MHz I have had this receiver for a while it has two servos and the receiver and transmitter I have all my fuel line and water line now I got the engine mounted wasent easy for me lol with the shaft a prop setup now if anyone could help with throttle linkage as in maybe the best parts I could use that would be kinda not so highly technical or a reference and also my engine is watercooled I tried to run the engine and the pump did not move water through now I don't know if these engine work like regular boats where even if idled they would pump I had water surrounding my rudder but no water any help om that would be appreciated I have had this hobby interest since I was a kid but have not fully realized it until now so I am ready thx you all for any help

Last edited by boatpro8898; 08-17-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

First, welcome to the site!
OK, you paid too much for the engine at you could have gotten a better Zenoah clone for less at www.gizmomotors.com . The drive was a good buy though but don't use that prop nut unless you like replacing props. The only way to save it though is to use a thin slice of silicone water line between the prop and nut if you insist on not tossing it away.
There are generally 2 good ways to hook up throttle linkage and they're both easy to set up. Many prefer Speedmaster's, www.rossisales.com or the type that uses a slightly different setup where you can rev the engine with the radio system of like Zippkits, www.zippkits.com .
If you're not using a clutch, you don't need the water pump so set it aside. The boat going through the water will push water up through the pickups.
Toss in some pictures when you can as those can help us to help you get it going on the right track the first time.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:05 PM
boatpro8898

thanks for your response and yes I know I overpaid I could have got a zen 26 pum fior the same price but I am impatient lol so as far as the pump goes its screwed to the head so am not sure about putting it to the side I tried to run it on land with a small water source and no water would flow granted it was only for 4 or 5 seconds so maybe it needs more time I do plan on getting a clutch soon so will it pump at an idle do I need something for this and I uploaded these pic please disregard the tape this is for me to see how it works I bought 4/40 push rodes but only one side was threaded so not sure how to hook the other swivel up and the throttle works pretty good I bought the bellcrank not sure how to set it up any help or better ideas or welcome something not to complicated or at least explaine
Old 08-17-2013, 06:19 PM
Ron Olson

It's Saturday night and we're in here, I really need a life! I'm bored to tears anyway so you've helped to make my night.
I contacted a guy I know in Texas and if anybody knows anyone there it would be him so I'm just waiting for a reply.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:53 PM
boatpro8898

im having trouble posting images or any thing I appreciate you looking into my situation one quick quest thought when hooking the flex cable to the collet I cant seem to keep it from free spinning sometimes it grabs and sometimes it doesent this part was the part that's ben baffling me and also I knew a guy when I was young who built these boats that's exactly how I got started I was int the boat with my family and I saw this rc boat running in the lake so I approached the guy and the rest was history the project got shelved and now here I am 10 or 15 years later with a boat parts and little knowledge of this so hopefully this will happen and I do appreciate it
Old 08-17-2013, 06:56 PM
boatpro8898

Old 08-17-2013, 06:58 PM
boatpro8898

Old 08-17-2013, 07:00 PM
boatpro8898

now im laughing because im reading my own post and looking at my pics and I cant stop laughing lol
Old 08-17-2013, 07:28 PM
boatpro8898

and as im researching I am realizing lol the sheer lack of knowledge I have I now see the water cooled head is not a pump not that I thought it was lol so I but I am figuring I would need a pump when I got my clutch please forgive my lack there of but I am figuring it out I have ben at this for 3 months contacting people online contacting hobby shops with little luck bought parts I did not need realized it cost a lot to get the boat going had I had the knowledge I do now I would be done by now lol but that would be to easy so im here and im confident I will be well on my way to wrapping this up
Old 08-18-2013, 04:11 AM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE =boatpro8898;11593474] [ /QUOTE]

"We" can't see pictures !

That's not strange if you use 'quote' tags to insert a image instead of the image-tag [IMG} :-)
Old 08-18-2013, 08:11 AM
boatpro8898

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0087.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	1909823   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0089.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	463.7 KB
ID:	1909824  
Old 08-18-2013, 08:18 AM
boatpro8898

i am going to cut a PIECE OF FIBERGLASS for the radio box and mount my servo receiver and battery in that this is essentially my mock do get a visual also I have located a fully threaded pushrod that should help and for now I am going with the flexible cable for throttle until I can figure out something else and I will be ordering my water pump Monday or Tuesday along with a pulse port still trying to pin down where to buy this at any advise would help I know it looks rough but it will be better thx to all and you should see pics now I had the servos hooked up but I disassembled for modifications
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SSPX0090.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	1909825  
Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 AM
HendricX

Full thread pushrods are UGLY ;-) .. Better use a solder ferrule on the other end , or cut threads on it yourself .. it's called modelbuilding ... :-)

With fibreglass lid you can't see what's happening inside , better use polycarbonate (G-sheet/Lexan/Makrolon)-glass.

Pulseport you will have to dril/tap the engine-case or carburator-isolator , or buy an isolator with pulse-tap.

As I'm in Europe , I can't help you with USA addresses.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:00 AM
boatpro8898

I never thought about threading the rods myself what would be the easiest way to do this that is very interesting and also to clarify the fiberglas piece is not for a cover it is a mount for my servos a radio gear to replace that jaked up piece of wood lol I will use a piece of plexi glass for the cover simple stuff and I know I have to modify for pulse port or like you said one prefabed I am looking into this now yesterday I took the motor out to fix the mount and the shft would not come out this is good I know so I unscrewed the top of the collet and it came off. my question is I reinstalled it at its not griped like it was it may be something that when its run it will lock in place I am not sure thanks for the help Hendrix and to all
Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Ron Olson

For a little over a Dollar for a pushrod it's a cheap investment. A little acetone, laquer thinner or Goof-Off will make that radio box look a lot better to get the tape residue off.
The rudder stand-off is too short as that one is better suited for outriggers or Sport Scale hulls. Zippkits has one that will bolt on right in its place that has more stand-off for a mono hull. You might want to look into a set of trim tabs while you're at it.
Uploading photo's in here is slightly different than before but those of us that have loaded pix over at "The Dock" are used to it.
Don't use the normal Reply box but go below to "Go Advanced" and there will be a picture uploader. Use the "Basic Uploader" to get files off your computer or there are other ways if you're grabbing shots off some place like Photobucket. It's easier and faster than "The Dock" also as you can upload pictures faster and larger than over there. Your uploaded shots will show up in a box at the bottom. Do the reply and you're good to go.
If you need some setup pix I can run outside and grab some quick ones with my cell phone for general reference. My radio box setups are pretty much the same from my mono's to my cat's.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:40 PM
boatpro8898

okay could you give me a link to the rudder stand off for reference I will definatly get that if it will help and I plan on cleaning this boat top to bottom but I am more concerned at the time being with getting this boat ready to run I also have a deep vee which after this is done I wll be going to next with im hoping more knowledge and experience and yes I would most appreciate a pic upload reference is key for me thx you for your response I am that much closer and also I have figured the photo uploading out so I have it down thx you though
Old 08-18-2013, 02:01 PM
Ron Olson

Sure thing, here you go:
http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=220
Old 08-18-2013, 03:38 PM
HendricX

Acrylic(Plexi) is more britlle as polycarbonate(Lexan)

And for the collet .. be absolutely sure that the flexshaft is 3mm or 1/8" THROUGH the insert ,

suspect yours has only grip on the front-side.

If it still slips , you'll have to solder the flexcable with Stay-brite soft-silver.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 PM
boatpro8898

thx for your response and I will check the length on my insert and as far as the cover goes what would you recommend I assumed plexi glass would have ben fine I have it on my checkmate for my window and it has great flexibility and durability but if there is a better material I am all for it thx
Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Ron Olson

Myself, I've got a sister in the laser cutting business and uses a lot of polycarbonates in clear and tints that I get for a song. I've also used Lexan from Parma that the hobby shop carries. Just keep the heat of a tuned pipe away from it.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM
HendricX

Originally Posted by boatpro8898
plexi glass would have ben fine I have it on my checkmate for my window and it has great flexibility
Quite sure .. you call it plexi , but flexible and plexi won't match , sure your material is polycarbonate/Lexan.

Same stuff is used as motorcycle helmet-vizor.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:51 PM
boatpro8898

yeah it is always good to have connections and I will most certainly not allow the pipe that close to it im sticking with the plexi glass for now and we will see now in regards to the pump I have three options one is this http://www.vaportrailsrc.com/Aluminu...-Pump-asp1.htm and theres this one http://www.vaportrailsrc.com/RC-Boat...Bonzi-awp1.htm not sure the difference in the two and finally this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/360711143382...84.m1423.l2649 im not sure which one would work and im trying to alleviate have to port the carb for the pulse port so I don't know which one is best I will be purchasing tomorrow any help would appreciate or of you have a lonk to something better feel free
Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM
boatpro8898

well I have had good experiances withit in the past so I am confident that it will work and ive always known it AS PLEXI GLASS not sure what you call it there
Old 08-24-2013, 08:16 AM
boatpro8898

hi so I have ben at it for a while now and I think this is more than I can handle myself and as I don't have another helping hand at the moment I am not sure what I can do next I am now trying to find someone individual and or company that can perhaps install the equipment for me I live an louisiana I am willing to ship my boat and all parts if anypone knows of a place or individual that can help I would much appreciate it as I have reached the limit on what I can do by myself thx to all that have helped and I will appreciate a little more
Old 08-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Ron Olson

This is about the only person that I can think of in your area. It's not unusual for him to fix up other people's messes or build boats from nothing. http://www.ccracingengines.com/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.