Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exceed racing

exceed racing

Alright, don't kill me because I bought an exceed. I'm brand new to boating. Got my son a small electric 2 years ago n he seemed ready for more. We found a "good deal," checked it out, seemed legit. We ran the boat dry, steered, accelerated the whole nine yards. Got it up to Michigan n put her in the lake. Fresh fuel, good plug, runs awsome on the stand. New AA batteries for the Servos and controller(rayovac industrial.) I know, not the best. Here's what happens, if you go towards the middle of the lake the boat will get about 20 feet away from you and the engine shuts down. Retrieve the boat, fires right back up. Try it again n the same thing. Now we have run this thing on the stand for several minutes with no issues. Also, if you keep the boat near the shore and drive it while you walk next to it, you're fine. Here's some #'s: controller model fs-gt3b. AFHDS, 2.4 ghz 3 channel, 10 model, car/boat. Boat: exceed racing 1300gs260 product code 12001. It has a fs260m with clutch. Any ideas are super appreciated. Any other info that I can provide I will. My boy just turned 9, this was a present, although we are in good spirits now I would like a have it running before its ice. T pro, mg996r, digi hi torque servos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    OK, I'll let you live! With the radio, do a range check. Fly Sky's usually have a great range but it's worth checking anyway. Seeing how it doesn't have a retractable antenna, just walk out a way to see if you have any loss, just play with the steering and/or rudder to see if you get any glitches.
    At only about 20 feet out it could be that the clutch is fully engaging and making the carb go lean stalling the engine. most of the carbs should be at 2 turns out on ther low-speed needle and 1 turn out on the high-speed.
    Kids pick up on this stuff quickly. My son was racing RC trucks at 6 and I finally let him race boats at 12.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

What are your high & low carb. settings?
    DaVette Boats

awe you beat me to it Ron.
    DaVette Boats

Ok peeps, give me a few days to check this out as I left the boat in Mich as it is too big to be carting back n forth. I'll check n repost asap.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sounds to me like a loss of signal problem and the receiver is going into fail safe mode which will automatically shut the engine down. Just like if you were to push the TX trigger forward to shut it down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you're ever in my part of Michigan, let me know.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

If it is a loss of signal problem what's the best way to diagnose and pinpoint culprit piece?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You or someone else should walk away from the boat while it's on and see if it starts glitching while working the controls.
    The receiver is supposed to be waterproof so right now we'll rule that out. I'd check the antenna with this as if the top-load coil got damaged from being bent that could kill its ability to get a signal even at a short distance. Some will leave it in the radio box but being a little paranoid about losng a signal, I mount my receivers on the radio box lids and still use an antenna tube to get it up in the air as much as possible. The Fly Sky RX's are dirt cheap so it doesn't hurt to keep a spare around. Some of their transmitters have had issues with the thing shutting off so check the power switch on that too.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Ok low was 3/4, high was 1 3/4. Here's what happens: turn on the servos, turn on the controller, red/green light flashing at servo, press the channel button on the remote n the two link together, the light is steady green, start walking away. I loose steering control and the engine dies at 15 feet away. Sometimes when I walk back up to the boat the green/red light is flashing, sometimes it has gone back to solid green. If it has gone to green I can refire n try all over again. If its green/red flashing I have to resink then retest. For some reason it will let me get 15 feet away once, then only 5 feet twice, then back to 15 feet. I noticed that if I press the enter button on the rotory dial every 3-4 feet away I was able to get up to 27 feet away. What ra ya think

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The fuel mixture is way off as it should be 2 turns out on the low-speed and 1 out on the high.
    I think that your receiver is junk.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Not necessarily true about the fuel mixture. It depends what carb he's using. I've been running 644 carbs for years and 3/4 low, 1 3/4 high is what I have always used. You need to ask what carb he's using before commenting on his settings. Doug

The first test resulted in 15' away and the display was flashing R 30. Second try, another 15' and L01 on the screen. The 3rd n 4th tries I only made it 5'. Every time, loss of steering and engine dies. Carbs says RUI*ING on it, no other id. Tell me about recievers, what's good, how much, compatible with my controller, how hard to do, any other tests to pinpoint reciever problems. Thank-you!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by dwr9 View Post
    Not necessarily true about the fuel mixture. It depends what carb he's using. I've been running 644 carbs for years and 3/4 low, 1 3/4 high is what I have always used. You need to ask what carb he's using before commenting on his settings. Doug
    You sure about that...im been running a mod 644 on my QD high torque engine for over 5 years now and i will never get my low needle down to 3/4 of a turn out,thats WAAAYYYY too lean! If you would have said 1 3/4 low...3/4 high i would agree. But definitely not 3/4 out on low...never even heard of a WT style carb with a low needle setting like that. 1 3/4 high is even too rich.

Ran 257's,771's,929's and 1048's and none of them will even get that low....not even my mod WYK33's....and i run at sea level all the time.
    Last edited by SS RC Boats; 10-31-2013 at 12:05 PM.

spektrum, high tec or futaba have a good radio system its fairly easy to change out might solve you radio issues but all and all you can never go wrong with futaba

also do a battery check befor any thing else i had battery issues befor in the past caused glitching lose of range and stuff of that nature even a bad on/off switch from it getting corrsion some times its the simple things that cause big problems

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yup, those are the settings I've used for years. My 644 is stock, I'm yours on the QD is not. I'm pretty certain 3/4 on the low is in the range recommended by Zenoah in the manual for the motor also. Doug

Quote Originally Posted by SS RC Boats View Post
    You sure about that...im been running a mod 644 on my QD high torque engine for over 5 years now and i will never get my low needle down to 3/4 of a turn out,thats WAAAYYYY too lean! If you would have said 1 3/4 low...3/4 high i would agree. But definitely not 3/4 out on low...never even heard of a WT style carb with a low needle setting like that. 1 3/4 high is even too rich.

Ran 257's,771's,929's and 1048's and none of them will even get that low....not even my mod WYK33's....and i run at sea level all the time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I've been digging around on modelgasboats.com for a long time now trying to find the recommended settings on various carbs, they must have it well hidden there. One carb article mentioned that they had never seen a low-speed setting under one turn out on any carb.
    If you have to, invest in at least a name-brand radio system with FM or better.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Are you saying I need to go out n buy an entire new radio setup? Guys I'm new to this stuff so a detailed explanation on things goes a long way. Approx cost? Just a reciever on the boat? Still need help. The water isn't frozen yet n my lil dude is chompin at the bit. Nobody at the hobbies stores wants to talk to ya about it. They just want you to drop it off. I want to understand this stuff.

ok you can try a 2.4 ghz 3 channle reciever i would roll with spektrum if possible, it might fix the problem now if you want to spend the cash yeah i would get a name brand radio system it dont have to be 2.4 ghz so you can save money there, i wish i lived neer you cause i could trouble shoot your issues alot better but thats my sugestion for the radio problems this would be a good example it isnt outragiously priced and will get the job done http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZZD1&P=0

So the reciever includes the antenna wire. Now being a 2.4 ghz setup the antennq isn't very tall, true? It wasn't when I got it. I tried to extend it with light gave wire and another tube from a doner boat, no difference. Have you read earlier in the thread about my current controller and such? Are those pieces poor quality? That reciever you showed me isn't expensive, hard to hook up? Just swap the wires and run the antenna? Should I keep a short antenna? I wanna get my kids some fun with this thing so bad. I know (now after I bought it) that this is a cheapo boat? But man. I'm gonna our a volt meter on the batts next time I'm there. Those were cheapos too(rayovac), but were new!? Thanks in advance.

Nasty,

Where are you located, Im in MI also and have 3 radio set ups that are not being used at the moment, and I would more than happy to help you get this set up. LMK

throw in some duracell not energizer every time i used energizer they blew up lol i dunno why but yes deffinantly try the batterys first if no change i would try a better reciever or radio system, no need to try and extend the antenna its set up that way for a reason my spektrum has dual antenna but also shorter compared to the older fm but still has an awesome amount of range reguardless i dunno much about your radio system but i will help you out as much as possible so you can enjoy it instead of fighting with it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast