Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

52" lauterbach hydroplane kit

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

52" lauterbach hydroplane kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 11:25 PM
zen40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 52" lauterbach hydroplane kit

Hi, I'm interested to know if anyone has a 52" lauterbach hydro kit, as far as I can ascertain Blazer Marine do a very nick kit of the Lauterbach Special. A day before I go to order one the site has a message that they are closed for restructuring?
Just my luck or bad timming, they seen reluctant to make contact through their contact forms online.
Just wondering if anyone has a kit tucked away they might like to sell. Thanks for any info in advance
Old 04-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Brian is kind of getting out of the business. He's got a full-time job plus a wife and kids. I think that he found out what a toll this is taking on him.
OK, the good news. Joe at Zippkits is in talks with Brian about taking it over.
There's a lot of moving and shaking going on right now. Tony Castronovo sold Warehouse Hobbies to Bonzi'. Expresscraft as far as hull manufacturing is also up on the block. Insane Boats was sold by Jeff Michaud to the guy who is second in line there.
I don't know how long the transition will be right now between Brian and Joe will be. It could be very quick as all Joe would really need are the computer programs for his new laser cutter.
I don't know if this includes all of the scale and Sport boats plus his new Slingshot gas 'rigger. It would be interesting to see how it affects Joe's current line of boat kits as some of these would be competing against his current line-up. I talked to him briefly this morning but he was busy and I didn't bring this up to him.

Contact Brian as he still has some kits but won't be filling any more orders once those are sold.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 PM
zen40

Thanks Ron, you seem to be in the know so to speak. Do you know how I get hold of Brian please, thanks very much.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Ron Olson

There is a "Contact Us" at the lower left corner on the Blazer Marine site. Other than that, I don't have his e-mail address although I've known Brian for kind of a long time. He lives in Cincinnati but comes up to a lot of IMPBA D-2 races. His boats rule in this part of the US, from the Sport 20's on up to the gas boats. Brian's father Bob has assembled a lot of them for the racers in the area.

BTW, thanks for your thread as I happened upon it while trying to find a way to let members here know what's going on in the RC boat industry. It seems like for some reason that there's a lot of movin' and shakin' going on lately.
I was supposed to be seeing Joe Petro (Zippkits) this weekend at the Toledo Show and talk to him there some more about what's going on between him and Brian but some things came up last night that threw a wrench in those plans.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:30 PM
zen40

Thanks again Ron. I have tried the contact form on the website but no reply.
i grew up around the New Zealand powerboat racing circuit as a younger man and always liked the few lauterbach hull that made it to NZ.
my father played a major part in the building of GP5 CRC Latimer Lodge with PG Knight who successfully campaigned her both here and abroad for nearly 2 decades. Hence the reason I would like a kit and to finish it in the Latimer Lodge livery.
i have found another kit for a Lauterbach special from ML Boatworks but it is substantially smaller. I think Newton Marine do plans for a Lauterbach special but I'm unsure of the size and wether it is the correct model to match the Latimer Lodge hull.
i guess I could scale it to some degree, it comes in a 3 plane view and bulkheads, probably 1/8 scale.
i hate it when you see something then it becomes unavaiable, hope they get the restructuring at Blazer sorted quickly.
Cheers
Old 04-01-2014, 11:34 PM
zen40

Default CRC Latimer Lodge

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1613
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1983339   Click image for larger version

Views:	2027
Size:	654.5 KB
ID:	1983340   Click image for larger version

Views:	1520
Size:	639.1 KB
ID:	1983370  

Last edited by zen40; 04-01-2014 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Ron Olson

If Brian doesn't back to you soon I have ways of getting his e-mail address through different avenues. I know people.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:05 AM
mickieb49

Hi , I have a Lauterbach kit I don't think I will get a chance to do anything with, PM me and we can go from there.
Mick
Old 04-05-2014, 03:10 AM
zen40

Thanks very much Mick, I think I have sent you a PM.
regards
Old 04-05-2014, 04:33 PM
mickieb49

Pm Replied mate.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:32 PM
zen40

Thanks to Mickieb49 I have a 52" lauterbach kit on the way, cheers.
a few hardware questions for those who may be able to help.
i intend to use either a G26 or 30 for the power plant. Just wondering on things like the rudder, I've looked at a twin pick up 1 1/8 x160 how does this sound? Also the rear strut, shaft and prop, I'm not sure what I will need, do I run a 1/4" flexible shaft or solid? Do both these options need oilers? I know on full size lauterbachs the shaft angle can be run at either 12* or 14* I think a 100* header with a nice pipe will be ok.
also wondering on the option for the use of a clutch! I kind of like the idea.
im keen to machine up my own turn fin and bracket and wonder if it would be a good option to make early mods to be able to mount it on either sponson.
so many questions sorry.
thanks for any help or advise in advance.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 AM
Ron Olson

There's nothing on Brian's site about what hardware to run but I'm guessing that he's advising using Speedmaster hardware. You should be getting an owners manual with the kit, Brian does a nice job with those.
Flexible cable, straight shafts aren't used in the US anymore.
You don't need an oiler as you can just pull the cable out for greasing which at the same time you can see how the cable is doing, broken strands, etc.
I'd completely forget about using a clutch, just be careful. This is a high-performance boat, not a play cruiser.
You only want the turn fin on the right sponson.
The 100 degree header is probably not te one to use, most likely a 90 degree with a 2" offset as it should exit straight out the back through the transom.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:12 PM
zen40

Thanks Ron, I was thinking of setting up turn fin mounts on both sponsons but only running one fin so I could change it over for left and right hand circuits?
Flexi cable it is.
The more I've read about clutches the less I think i'll use one, by all accounts they rob power and don't last too long.
Thanks for the advise about exhaust, I guess i'll have a better idea when the engine is in and I see the room I have.
Cheers
Old 04-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Ron Olson

If you're going to race it, we all go the same way even it the water in your toilet swirls the other way!
Old 04-09-2014, 02:53 PM
madanna67
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are few Pics of a new lauterbach build not yet finished. The hardware is speedmaster the turn fin is from Blazer. I am running one of zipp kits drop header's and a cooper cobra pipe. I also have a new zipp stainless pipe to try as well. The drop header is a nice as it keeps the pipe lower in the hull and away from the top hatch. A standard 90 is very close to the top hatch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	029.JPG
Views:	1925
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	1985600   Click image for larger version

Name:	031.JPG
Views:	1706
Size:	369.4 KB
ID:	1985601   Click image for larger version

Name:	034.JPG
Views:	1711
Size:	544.7 KB
ID:	1985602   Click image for larger version

Name:	035.JPG
Views:	1534
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	1985603   Click image for larger version

Name:	039.JPG
Views:	1835
Size:	666.7 KB
ID:	1985604  
The following users liked this post:
murci (03-12-2023)
Old 04-09-2014, 06:21 PM
zen40

Excellent info and pictures, thanks very much madanna67, just for ordering reference, what length is the rudder, rear strut and drive shaft lengths, I have to order from overseas to get this type of hardware in New Zealand. Boat looks great, is it being finished in any particular GP number as in a copy of a real size boat? thanks again.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:20 AM
zen40

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
If you're going to race it, we all go the same way even it the water in your toilet swirls the other way!
He he nice one.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:08 AM
madanna67

Headed into work now, but I will get you some more detailed info on the hardware when I get home from work tonight.
Originally Posted by zen40
Excellent info and pictures, thanks very much madanna67, just for ordering reference, what length is the rudder, rear strut and drive shaft lengths, I have to order from overseas to get this type of hardware in New Zealand. Boat looks great, is it being finished in any particular GP number as in a copy of a real size boat? thanks again.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:14 AM
zen40

Originally Posted by madanna67
Headed into work now, but I will get you some more detailed info on the hardware when I get home from work tonight.
Thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 02:44 AM
Ron Olson

A closer dealer for Speedmaster hardware: http://www.hobbysupplies.com.au/Speedmaster.htm
Old 04-10-2014, 12:52 PM
madanna67

Here are the Speedmaster part numbers for the Rudder and Strut.
Strut is SPDS-008-250HR 1/4 Hydro Round Bottom Short Brackets
Rudder is SPDR-011-60-SB 1 1/8 Standard Bearing Block, Single Pick up Tapered Rudder Blade
If you want a Duel Pick up Tapered Blade You will want to order SPDR-011A-60-SB

This is what came in the hardware kit that I purchased from blazer. And the kit came with the single pick up tapered rudder. If you want the extra cooling line go for the duel pick up rudder that I listed. The turn fin and bracket are the latest one's from blazer. The flex cable is a 36 inch 1/4 Cable. It is a little long and will need to be trimmed. The rudder control rod is 4-40 rod that is ran into a 1/8 brass tube to stiffen the rod, the 4-40 rod was a little flexy because of the long length so the 1/8 tube really helps to add strength. Standard Motor Mounts from Gizmo were Used for the engine. A Flat hard tank made for cat hulls was used for the fuel tank. I hope this helps you out with your project a little. Happy Boating!
Old 04-10-2014, 11:20 PM
zen40

Rudder is SPDR-011-60-SB 1 1/8 Standard Bearing Block, Single Pick up Tapered Rudder Blade

This is what came in the hardware kit that I purchased from blazer. And the kit came with the single pick up tapered rudder. If you want the extra cooling line go for the duel pick up rudder that I listed. The turn fin and bracket are the latest one's from blazer. The flex cable is a 36 inch 1/4 Cable. It is a little long and will need to be trimmed. The rudder control rod is 4-40 rod that is ran into a 1/8 brass tube to stiffen the rod, the 4-40 rod was a little flexy because of the long length so the 1/8 tube really helps to add strength. Standard Motor Mounts from Gizmo were Used for the engine. A Flat hard tank made for cat hulls was used for the fuel tank. I hope this helps you out with your project a little. Happy Boating!
Such good info, thanks very much, ment to say that the pipe setup in your boat looks mint, love the drop header, very tidy.
i'll do a build thread when I get started. Cheers
Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 PM
zen40

Hi, Im just looking at headers an wonder how much the drop on your header you have, I've found several with a 1" drop. Cheers
Old 04-13-2014, 06:37 AM
madanna67

The Header is from ZippKits the part number is 2018. The header has a 1 1/2 inch drop.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:36 PM
zen40

The Header is from ZippKits the part number is 2018. The header has a 1 1/2 inch drop.
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.