Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Lauterbach build.......

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Lauterbach build.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 04:50 AM
wdgreen
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zen40
Just wondering if anyone on here knows where I can get external Spring coils for supporting the water cooling fees tubes from the rudder to the transom, I have seen them somewhere but can't recall where. I think they look pretty good and add shape and support to the pickup lines.
thanks in advance.
Using the large size waterlines won't be a problem. I usually just tie the two lines together with some double sided velcro.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:53 AM
wdgreen

For those that have built and drive these hulls I'm setting up the radio gear and wonder what settings work well or best on the rudder, like in end point adjustment, speed of servo and expo.
thanks.
No expo, max speed, lots of right rudder, only enough left for straightaway corrections without flipping. Too much left will cause the boat to flip easily. Never let off the throttle while using left rudder, the boat will flip instantly. Drive it then adjust the rudder for your driving.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:30 PM
zen40

Cheers Wd, just went to start the engine for first time today with tank install done, radio setup etc,
frustrating NO spark at all, tried a couple of plugs, nothing, the only mod I've done is top mount for coil and it is self earthing to the mount with a brass tag. Disconnected kill switch so just red wire fron cool to mag connected and still no spark, brand New engine, any ideas?
Old 11-28-2015, 08:01 PM
zen40

Sorted, two dud plugs, good Ol champion, not my choice so swapped out with NGK ran a tank full through her and dialled in the needles to get her pretty close.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:09 PM
zen40

Slowly getting the stand sorted, built to transport and run up on, also built a add on for display to tilt the boat, I've got some laminated side panels to go on when I get them second coated in clear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2132958  
Old 11-29-2015, 05:25 AM
wdgreen

Glad you got the engine running. We toss out the champion plugs that come with the Zens. They have been known to come apart and ruin an engine. Always use NGK.
Hard to set the needles on a stand with no load. If you have a 257 carb then set the high at 1 turn out and the low at 2 turns out. This is usually pretty close to right on.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:10 AM
zen40

Howdy, I'm after a few option for prop recommendations got the lauterbach, running a standard Z26cc on alloy tuned pipe, I've got a AS 67 17 3 but would like a couple more options maybe a 2 blade as well, cheers
Old 12-26-2015, 05:58 AM
wdgreen

Best prop you can run is a 6717/3 400 from Propworks west. Tried everything else.
Same set-up as yours.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:33 AM
zen40

Cheers
Old 03-06-2016, 02:21 PM
zen40

Weekend just gone and finally ran CRC. Was a thrill to have PG Knight, Peter Senior and Andy Knight present at the launch at Lake Rotoiti where so much of New Zealand's powerboat race history was made.
a short and unfortunately no so good quality video of the first run of this model.
All n all a great success with the oat running very well, a couple of minor adjustments to the pipe setup and it will be sorted.
the crowd at the 17th annual classic and antique boat show were very appreciative of the work gone into CRC.
when I get some better video I'll also upload it.

Views:	254
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2151163  
Old 03-06-2016, 02:22 PM
zen40

Here's the link to the video.

http://youtu.be/t1bJEs6FOGw
Old 03-06-2016, 02:34 PM
cmsrp

Weekend just gone and finally ran CRC. Was a thrill to have PG Knight, Peter Senior and Andy Knight present at the launch at Lake Rotoiti where so much of New Zealand's powerboat race history was made.
a short and unfortunately no so good quality video of the first run of this model.
All n all a great success with the oat running very well, a couple of minor adjustments to the pipe setup and it will be sorted.
the crowd at the 17th annual classic and antique boat show were very appreciative of the work gone into CRC.
when I get some better video I'll also upload it.
Great job zen. Love it !!!!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:26 PM
zen40

Thanks very much.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:18 AM
corky051

Great job Zen!! Glad to see this effort a major success. Looks great on the water. Congratulations!
Old 03-30-2016, 02:30 AM
zen40

I've been making a few adjustments after the first few runs and sorting a couple of issues the bugged me. I've built on a water pick up on the back of the rudder to supply better cooling to the engine and pipe, the stock rudder pick ups struggled in long turns to supply sufficient constant flow.
ive also re-mounted the pipe bracket and used high temp silicone as the stock rubber grommet melted on first run. The silicone header cooling sleeve works a treat and really cuts down on a whole lot of intense heat, it has proved to be 100% leak free on testing.
I also shimmed the rudder piviots to get rid of what I thought was excessive slop and have the rudder with near on zero play while still allowing smooth range of movement.
Ive replaced the standard pull start with an ezzy pull starter which is sooo much better.
Im still mucking round with a windscreen setup and this is proving to be slightly frustrating as to what mounting choices I have, I really want a tinted screen but want to get it right.
A couple of other things are the lifting eyes they used for crane launching and the rear spoiler that was used on the full size,
My good lady is about to make a cover up for it as well.
really keen to get hrr back out on the water and get a few laps on her.

Views:	228
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2155090   Click image for larger version

Views:	221
Size:	1,017.5 KB
ID:	2155091   Click image for larger version

Views:	232
Size:	1.21 MB