Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

duel rudder

Old 04-16-2014, 05:12 PM
RMWRIGHT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default duel rudder

I have a Aquacraft Rio 51z .Seriously thinking about putting a duel rudder system on it. Does anyone have any tips or advise?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Since that's just a sport boat ,then why not.I've had single and dual and with the single turning to the right was great but to the left was a little harder,because the boat was leaning to the left and most of the rudder was out of the water.They say dual rudders create drag and if racing you wouldn't want that.I noticed no real loss of speed with duals.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:02 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He is correct about no real big difference in speed,but it is little things that add up that make a difference, Even sport boaters normally want as much as they can get.Boats take a beating so more parts are also a issue in terms of reliability.I would consider a single rudder behind the prop in the middle if your transom will allow it, now you have rudder in the water left or right, your boat will still turn better to the right because of engine torque,A good balanced and sharpened prop will also help here,And you will have the same amount of parts as you do now,Not adding any further risk of failure to your boat.The only sales pitch I agree with on duel rudders is if you simply like the way they look.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:28 AM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to consider with dual rudders is most dont have the kickback function and many are cast so if you hit anything your in trouble,id stick to a single offset rudder,ive NEVER had any issues turning left with that system,sure turning right is easier because of prop rotation but left turns are not a real problem
Mart
Old 04-17-2014, 09:37 AM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHH have kick up and duel rudder (like WHH) are great for sport boats - also no turn fins with duel rudder. WHH has many many boats out there with duel rudders and no issues

My son's boat (with WHH duel rudders) turns left way better than any of mine -- yes mine will - but with turn fins and sometimes will 'skip' in a hard left turn. He just wanted duel rudders and it runs great

WHH are simple - inexpensive and no issue getting parts - not much heavier if you subtract weight of turn fins and brackets that you don't need

Avoid the 'eBay' duel rudder crap

Just my 2 cents (I run all single rudders myself -- but I don't do lefts Lol )

Don't get me wrong all 3 types mentioned all can work - most race boats are single offset (work great) - Bonzi sells a ton of inline rudder (like Tom says) and work great as well [are a pain to change props though] all work well
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362_1200x896.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1987683  

Last edited by mistycreekboats; 04-17-2014 at 09:55 AM.