Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Battery for gas boat electronics.

I have been using 4 double A energizer batteries in a battery pack to power my 2 large non digital scale servos. 1 throttle standard servo, and rx. Needless to say the batteries drain quickly and it's expensive. I have 9.6v 1600mah and 700mah nimh. And also 7.4v nicad batteries at 1800 mah. And 8.4v nicad batteries at 3000mah. Can any of these power my electronics safely.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You're safer with the 7.4 volt packs. I've tried 9-volts but I really don't recommend them. Most boaters are only using 6-volt packs, 5-cells if you will.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks Ron. Have a bunch of them from my kids traxxas cars. They switched to lipo and brushless. So I have all these practically new nicads around. Wasn't sure if you could only use 6v. The weight of the pack up front will do my tunnel balancing good. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    None of those are suitable for receiver/servo use unless you have HV lipo rated servo's of which your analogue servos almost certainly are not. You will need a regulator which is a waste of time and money and more electronics is not what you want in a boat.

Get a Life 2S 6.6 volt pack of 1300 mah to 1800 mah. Plug right in and work with almost all servos.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I agree with Daniel. I switched over to the 1300mah Life packs he suggested and will never go back to NIMH batts. In fact I bought mine from him. They hold a charge forever. I run a volt meter in my radio box's and they never seem to get below 6.45V! I balance charge them maybe once every 3 weeks out of guilt mostly. Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If you work up a 5 cell pack of NIMH that will work also I use 3000 ma and they last a long time for me.
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by idocdave09 View Post
    If you work up a 5 cell pack of NIMH that will work also I use 3000 ma and they last a long time for me.
    Dave
    I could do that I guess.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Do you have a charger that will charge LiFe packs. Not LiPo but LiFe it is a different . Lipo's 2S charges at 8.4 volt and a LiFe is charged at 7.20 volt. These are not the actually voltage just the charge voltage. Once it is off the charger a LiFe will settle down to 6.66 - 6.68 volt

If you have the compatible charger already then just get a LiFe pack. They weight a lot less than what a comparible NiMh is and the LiFe will supply a full 6+ volt for it's entire safe discharge even under load.

They are cheap. My LiFe 1300 packs only cost $17 each.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I have to check. I do believe my Hyperion 1210i can charge life. Then I'll get back to you about the pack.