Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

48" Dumas scarab

Is this boat to small to put a gas engine in? It had an 11cc K&B in it.

no it will run great with a gas motor,check the bottom of the hull with a straight edge, those where great boats but had a hook in the bottom at the transom, just sand to give it some tooth, then fill with body filler and block sand straight and it should be a very fun great looking boat.
    Owner - Express Craft Model Boats

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thanks EC !!! It hauled the mail pretty good with the 11cc in it.. How wide do the rails have to be to fit the gas motor?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Five inches is the norm with gas engines. Your boat should already have 5" rails in it.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You are correct Ron. So no dissecting needed.lol What about stuffing tubes? What size do they have to be for gas? This boat also has the old radio box that you build. Would like to upgrade to a lighter more modern one. Who sells them?? Thanks Ken

go to zippkits.com and see what joe has

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thank's EC .. I think its time to restore it to something useful. Where is a good place to get a decent 26cc engine from with pipe??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    OK, Tom beat me to it!
    You may have lucked out as if the boat already had theK&B in it then it should have a 1/4" drive installed so that'll save you a bunch right there.
    I've used a lot of the Zippkits radio boxes, they're light and fit really well betweeen the 5" rails. I went and got all fancy and used his billet aluminum servo mounts, they make installing and removing servo's a piece of cake. Joe should have everything that you'd need for the conversion and then some. Shipping is always fast. Most of the time his wife Stasia takes the phone orders, she's a sweetheart.
    I'm trying to upload a shot, this site isn't letting me do it right now. I'll try again later.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thank's guys!! Just went on there site. How is there Race Pro 26 engine?

I am not sure about the race pro .26. Not saying anything bad about it,I am just not familiar with it. What I would recommend as safe bets would be Dan at Bonzi sports for a stock zenoha, (not modified) There are better engine guys for mod motors. Dan also has a great mount and the best clutch if you go that way.keep in mind the dumas is from the late 80's and it is a good hull, but to me there are better choices if you are willing to drop 4-500.00 on a mod race motor.So with that in mind today's stock power plants like the 29cc zen is a great power plant for your boat even the 26 but for the difference in price I think less then 20.00 I would go with the 29 all day.either way if you decide to join the IMPBA or NAMBA and go racing. your set up as a new boater will probably hold you back more then your stock motor,If you get into the hobby enough to want to go race then your dumas stock zen powered boat will have been a great test bed for you to learn on and decide what direction to go if you ever do want to pursue hard core racing, I think that with the thought of just having a great time with a very good model boat without breaking the bank. I would just put a stock zenoha in it with a clutch if the money is there 150.00 less the 18.00 a collet would cost if you dont use the clutch.Plus hardware will last for years. so good hardware is never a bad thing. Speed master is kind of high priced compared to some. but they have been there for years and regarded by many as the best. There is value in being able to get a replacement part that goes beyond the price.I would like to see you spend money on a great prop to make your boat pick up some speed and handle better then just throw money at the motor when you are just learning. (Get a good successful build under your belt first).And most important....have fun.
    Last edited by expresscraft; 05-20-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Like I posted earlier, I have one but just haven't dropped it in a hull yet. I probably ought to at least pop the top off to see what's inside.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thank's again guys. I have been boating for about 20 years. Never raced though. I just like to screw around on the weekends at the camp. I have quite a few nitro boats from out boards to inboard deep vee's and outriggers (all outdated too lol). Looking to get into the gas world but not break the bank. Thanks for all the advice and info I appreciate it..Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Tom hit it again. Bonzi' does have probably the best prices around for stock Zenoah's as for a few dollars more you can have the real thing but unfortunately that's about the only thing that I'd buy from him as prices on most of his other items are a little high.
    I've tended to shop around on prices then I try to stay with that one outfit as it makes things easier for me. I use Zippkits motor mounts for instance as it makes it easier if I have to if I need to do a motor swap. The same servo's, etc.
    IMPBA 17238 S
    269 Racing Team

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Gizmo is 20 dollars cheaper than Bonzi for stock 260 and has 29.5 's on sale for a smoking deal right now - Gizmo has always shipped to me cheaper (Way cheaper) than Bonzi - but might be cause I live across the border - not sure about shipping in US

Just my 2 cents

Cheers
    Think "Fink" - build what YOU think is cool ......

http://www.youtube.com/user/mistycreekboats

Either way gizmo is a great contact as well, I was mainly pushing you or other that read this towards bonzi for for the complete package of motor, mounts and clutch. If you go with a clutch i really do feel bonzi has the best clutch.they are not the cheapest for sure and you do not need a clutch at all. I do think most sport boaters will agree once you use a clutch you will not be happy without one.The really good thing is you have a lot of very good sources for parts,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Thank's again!! I like the fact I ask a question and get different opinions BUT quality opinions. You guys are more helpful than you probably know to the non everyday RC boat enthusiast. It's great you guy's are willing to share in your experiences with us and make our learning curve a hell of a lot shorter than yours was I'm sure. Thanks again!! Ken

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I agree with Tom on clutches - think I have ran around 15 - 20 clutched boats and Bonzi does have the best clutch - if we use one - it's the only one we use.

If you do a package deal like Tom says he may work out the same in price as then you don't have to pay shipping from two places -

(up here the diff in shipping from Giz vs Bonzi is more than 50.00 + duty + taxes - that's main reason we avoid Bonzi (+ the fact Bonzi ships Fed Ex to us here and we always pay duty & taxes - not so from Giz - he uses USPS so always way cheaper here for us to avoid Fed Ex)

Glad the boys helped you out some -----

Cheers

RD
    Last edited by mistycreekboats; 05-22-2014 at 01:34 PM.
    Think "Fink" - build what YOU think is cool ......

http://www.youtube.com/user/mistycreekboats