Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New to RC boating...looking for advise.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New to RC boating...looking for advise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Iceqube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC boating...looking for advise.

Hello...I'm a new to RC boating as of this year. I bought a neighbors Rio 51z with a blown motor. I have redone the zenoah 260pum, added new servos, marine reciever, new radio, 67x105/3 prop, Walboro 990 carb and BH Hanson pipe. My question is, this winter I'm looking to do a complete tear down of the inside of the hull...the stringers are pulling loose and while redoing them im looking to redo the zenoah. I was wondering about the top end kit from gizmo motors gzr 30cc pro mod kit. I know it will produce more torque but will it produce alot more horsepower or will the GZR racing zenoah 30cc engine be a better bet? Has anyone put a top end mod on there zenoah?
Old 09-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The Rio's (both of them) are known for having loose stringers.
I haven't seen much about the Gizmo top-end kits but Bruce usually puts out good stuff for the price.. What you do is up to you whatever way you go, if it's just a sport boat or if you plan on racing.
Personally I'd try to upgrade the driveline while you've got it torn down as that flex cable setup isn't that good and is known to fall apart. I know a guy who has one and I'd like to get my hands on it for a few hours to see what I could do to fix it right. I'd toss the oiler too and just grease the cable.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:21 AM
Iceqube

Thanks for the help Ron. Like I said I'm new to this hobby and have learned a ton from this forum...all the people are great on here. I did read a lot about the stringers and the problem people have had...just did a half ass glass job on them to get the boat in the water so I could see it run..Do you think I should replace them with balsa stringers again or since I'm stripping it should I go with carbon fiber....the tray the servo and battery box, oil and gas tank are on has broke free from the stringers also and is badly cracked. It's just a fun sports boat...no racing yet...I live on the river so I take it out every weekend when we boat.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Ron Olson

Just use good quality marine grade plywood and coat them with epoxy, please don't use balsa. Carbon fiber is really expensive unless you know where you can get a good price on some.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:55 PM
BMAD01

I have 2, Gizmo top end motors I put together. I have the 29.5 Pro race kit in a Microburst mono. Very good motor. Easy to start, lots of low end power. Top end good also. The boat is now a rocket. This motor replaced a Quickdraw HT 26. Night and day difference in the boat now. I won First Place @ the District 20 Finals with it last Sunday. HOO HOO!!!
I have the 30cc Pro Mod Kit in an F-41 Stryker Cat. This motor is a bit different to build than the 29.5. I had to port match the intake to the aluminum isolator block I used. Port matching the exhaust cooling flange on both motors is a given. This motor is strong also, but I haven't decided yet if I like it better than the 29.5 or not. Been going thru pipe issues on the Stryker. I put the new GZR steel pipe on the Microburst a couple weeks ago and am very happy with it. I'll probably put one on the Stryker as they only cost $78.00. Enough dribble, I'm starting to ramble.
The Gizmo top end kits are a cheap option for more power, which ever one you get. Good luck with the stringers. You put either one of these motors in that hull and you'll be looking for something better in the not so distant future. Brian
Old 09-11-2014, 06:28 AM
Ron Olson

I'm glad to see that a lot of exhaust cooling flanges need to be port matched and that someone else is doing it also. I started doing them mostly out of boredom and something to do.