Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Could a Gas boar motor be used for a Drag Racing motor??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Could a Gas boar motor be used for a Drag Racing motor??

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:08 AM
nitrohead5300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could a Gas boar motor be used for a Drag Racing motor??

One of the differences i have noticed between a onroad gas motor compared to a boat gas motor the boat motor does not have a fan type flywheel. I suspect that the fan type flywheel causes drag on the motor that increases with rpm. I think that a boat motor can turn higher rpms than the same size onroad motor because it does not have a fan type flywheel. So my question is do any of you rc boat motor guru think I could get away with using a boat motor for a drag motor ??
Old 12-17-2014, 05:24 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boat engines are water cooled --- hence no fan ........................
Old 12-17-2014, 06:26 PM
nitrohead5300

Duh!! I know that. So do you think I could get away with using a boat motor?? Just like the motors in real dragsters don't have a fan I figured I could do the same thing with our gas motors because they won't be ran for very long, a drag race is usually over in a few second. Motor on motor off.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:30 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Actually it would run for a long time. I've seen enough videos and by the time that they're fired up and do some burn-outs the engines would be hot without water-cooling.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:10 PM
mistycreekboats

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Duh!! I know that. So do you think I could get away with using a boat motor?? Just like the motors in real dragsters don't have a fan I figured I could do the same thing with our gas motors because they won't be ran for very long, a drag race is usually over in a few second. Motor on motor off.
Duh ??? If you have all the answers then why ask the question ?? Anyone who runs water cooled engines know they would never make it long enough to run a race .................

try lowering your rotational mass of the drivetrain if you want rpm ........... duh

Last edited by mistycreekboats; 12-17-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:52 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Tough to call but I imagine it is possible as long as you did not stage it for long (at all) and allowed a full cool down between races (could even flow some water through it when in the pits after the race). I have seen plenty of boats started and run for longer than I would feel comfortable at revs higher than I would pick before launch or when tuning - and then there are those times a boat runs ashore and revs an unbearable song - so they can do it and survive (sometimes).. Another option might be to fill the head with water before the race and seal with a silicon hose that will blow off with pressure - though dangers from steam scalding. Might afford the motor a little extra run time though. Full size drag racers dont get many races out of a motor - this may be the case with using a water cooled motor without cooling too though.

One of the differences i have noticed between a onroad gas motor compared to a boat gas motor the boat motor does not have a fan type flywheel. I suspect that the fan type flywheel causes drag on the motor that increases with rpm. I think that a boat motor can turn higher rpms than the same size onroad motor because it does not have a fan type flywheel. So my question is do any of you rc boat motor guru think I could get away with using a boat motor for a drag motor ??
Old 12-18-2014, 12:19 AM
MATHO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a lot ofArabs use not active cooled engines for their dune drag racing cars (outsidetemps around 40°C = 104°F) but they use alcohol instead of gas.
They firethe engine, let it run a few seconds and then the car runs up a dune hill anddownwards. Or they are running at sand beaches.
Alcohol(methanol) has a self cooling effect that means, that this medium will cool theengine due to evaporation cooling.
We haveprepared a few engines for that purpose w/o active cooling, we took air cooledcylinders but w/o fans.
I have seenin the web that a few US modelers took boat motors, put aircooled top ends onthose and were
runningwith success. But I do not know whether alcohol or gas.
If you’duse boat cooling cylinders and put water into the cooling heads, the water willbecome steam and will be blown out, this will work also,
the headswill stay at 100°C (=212°F) until the water / steam is blown out.
But: if youdo not use distillated water the inside of the cooling area will be filled withthe remaining particles of the water, for example chalk / limescale and thiswill lead to a worse cooling efficiency
Old 12-18-2014, 02:40 AM
nitrohead5300

Originally Posted by mistycreekboats
Duh ??? If you have all the answers then why ask the question ?? Anyone who runs water cooled engines know they would never make it long enough to run a race .................

try lowering your rotational mass of the drivetrain if you want rpm ........... duh
.....................No you think you know all the answers read my post all the way thru THE MOTOR IS NOT GOING TO BE RAN A LONG TIME.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:42 AM
nitrohead5300

Originally Posted by MATHO
a lot ofArabs use not active cooled engines for their dune drag racing cars (outsidetemps around 40°C = 104°F) but they use alcohol instead of gas.
They firethe engine, let it run a few seconds and then the car runs up a dune hill anddownwards. Or they are running at sand beaches.
Alcohol(methanol) has a self cooling effect that means, that this medium will cool theengine due to evaporation cooling.
We haveprepared a few engines for that purpose w/o active cooling, we took air cooledcylinders but w/o fans.
I have seenin the web that a few US modelers took boat motors, put aircooled top ends onthose and were
runningwith success. But I do not know whether alcohol or gas.
If you’duse boat cooling cylinders and put water into the cooling heads, the water willbecome steam and will be blown out, this will work also,
the headswill stay at 100°C (=212°F) until the water / steam is blown out.
But: if youdo not use distillated water the inside of the cooling area will be filled withthe remaining particles of the water, for example chalk / limescale and thiswill lead to a worse cooling efficiency
................................Thanks MATHO your suggestions and comments were very helpful.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:43 AM
nitrohead5300

Originally Posted by Justaddwata
Tough to call but I imagine it is possible as long as you did not stage it for long (at all) and allowed a full cool down between races (could even flow some water through it when in the pits after the race). I have seen plenty of boats started and run for longer than I would feel comfortable at revs higher than I would pick before launch or when tuning - and then there are those times a boat runs ashore and revs an unbearable song - so they can do it and survive (sometimes).. Another option might be to fill the head with water before the race and seal with a silicon hose that will blow off with pressure - though dangers from steam scalding. Might afford the motor a little extra run time though. Full size drag racers dont get many races out of a motor - this may be the case with using a water cooled motor without cooling too though.
.............................Thank you for your insight and tips.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:02 AM
radioman

when I was a wrench on a double A gasser we had a hose we connected from a water faucet to the block, make the run and after the run go to the pits reconnect the hose and open petcock and cool the engine down and refill with water for the next run
Old 12-18-2014, 06:11 AM
siberianhusky

I'm no rocket scientist by a long shot but why not just buy the flywheel and keep the finned cylinder for cooling? Seems like the obvious simple cheap solution to me..... who knows may or may not even do anything. Certainly a cheaper way to find out than buying and potentially cooking a marine engine.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:30 AM
nitrohead5300

Originally Posted by radioman
when I was a wrench on a double A gasser we had a hose we connected from a water faucet to the block, make the run and after the run go to the pits reconnect the hose and open petcock and cool the engine down and refill with water for the next run
.......................thanks for the tip radioman.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:32 AM
nitrohead5300

Originally Posted by siberianhusky
I'm no rocket scientist by a long shot but why not just buy the flywheel and keep the finned cylinder for cooling? Seems like the obvious simple cheap solution to me..... who knows may or may not even do anything. Certainly a cheaper way to find out than buying and potentially cooking a marine engine.
..........you mean buy a boat flywheeel?
Old 12-18-2014, 07:58 AM
siberianhusky

Ya they are available many places after market and different weights, could get a lighter one that would also spin up quicker. Cost anywhere from 25$ up.
I'm a boater who just stumbled across this thread, I admit I don't know much of anything about cars, may be a simple reason it won't work in a car, but if you figure a boat engine would work can't see why just the flywheel wouldn't work on your car engine.

Last edited by siberianhusky; 12-18-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 AM
radioman

all boat motors have a flywheel some older motors where air cooled most modern motors or water cooled so a flywheel with a cooling fan wont cool the engine enough the block and heads have water jackets in them the cylinders will get hotter without the water in them
Old 12-18-2014, 09:06 AM
nitrohead5300

most of the time a boat motor, has a cowl covering it so it gets no air flow over the cylinder head which is why you have water jackets. But in a dragster the motor would be sitting out in the open getting lots of air flow when the car gets going. So long as I don't idle too long or do alot of burn outs the motor should not over heat.

Last edited by nitrohead5300; 12-18-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:14 AM
mistycreekboats

.....................No you think you know all the answers read my post all the way thru THE MOTOR IS NOT GOING TO BE RAN A LONG TIME.
you should buy the most expensive Boat motor you can and just run it. Lol. DA

Last edited by mistycreekboats; 12-18-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:13 AM
nitrohead5300

First I am going to test out theory on a backup motor. To see if it is feasable. If the test motor does not blow then I will look at modified motors.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:30 AM
fuma

well, if your sure it will work do it
Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 AM
mistycreekboats

Looks to me to be more than a 'quick' run - guys run them here as well ---------

If you run alcohol you may get it to run long enough -- or a marine case with finned Air cooled cylinder - most marine engines 'spool up' better than air cooled because we run less rotating mass (no clutch - gears - u joints - big tires etc.

http://youtu.be/wNIjLU3diYI
Buy a WidowMaker and save yourself the grief

http://youtu.be/IC_QIHZ01MI
Old 12-18-2014, 07:38 PM
nitrohead5300

thank all you boat guys for your comments and tips I have a plan now.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:56 AM
MATHO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

let us know what's going on and tell us later about the results, we always are interested in new things.......
Old 12-19-2014, 05:46 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

A friend was a brag boat racer and had a bored out Mercury 400 engine in it running top gas and then alcohol. He had is water jacket filled with something (I think aluminum but may have been some type of sand) to dissipate the heat. AFAIK they do not run those engines dry.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:43 AM
nitrohead5300

Originally Posted by MATHO
let us know what's going on and tell us later about the results, we always are interested in new things.......
....................I will thanks for your advice.