Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

My new 65" Bonzi Epic Cigarette Boat

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

My new 65" Bonzi Epic Cigarette Boat

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 08:26 PM
enzothecat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new 60" Bonzi Epic Cigarette Boat

Just thought I’d show off my new Bonzi Epic boat.

Although I have no affiliation with Bonzi whatsoever I want to get the word out that there is such a company and product. It was just by chance I found them and I’ve noticed there is hardly any mention of them on the R/C forums.

I’ve done everything RC, and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING…well except turbine. Haven’t tackled that yet. As LiPos and brushless motor technology has progressed, I’ve been on the cutting edge. Having a second home on a large lake, I started to get into boats….AGAIN. The electrics have been challenging to say the least..AND EXPENSIVE. Also, the quality and size of the boats these days has left me wanting. There just aren’t any options for boats that can handle anything but the smoothest waters. Out of frustration and looking for help I found out about Bonzi Sports. After a little research I decided to take the plunge and committed to this large cigarette boat. It is by far my favorite R/C vehicle I’ve ever owned.

The craftsmanship and detail are like nothing else I’ve ever seen. And the simplicity of the drivetrain and radio gear is genius. This size of the prop, the exhaust ports, the bow; its still just….wow. Beyond that, It is a solid state vehicle. The initial “investment” isn’t cheap. But when I look back at what I’ve put into the smaller, cheaper boats just to keep them going this is a bargain. The last boat before this was a carbon fiber TFL from HK that I spent about $2000.00 on in just a couple months. We all know how it goes with this hobby.

It runs like a champ. I think I’m getting close to 55mph which isn’t my fastest boat ever but the sheer size and handling capabilities makes it much more thrilling than driving a 100mph boat. It looks and feels like its going much faster. My neighbors comments are hilarious. I can run this thing all out for at least 40 minutes on one tank of gas. My electric boats last 5 minutes.

Small business like Bonzi Sports survive by word of mouth from happy customers. They just can’t compete with the power house companies that are promoting tin junk. So this is my big THANK YOU to the guys at Bonzi. Moreover, my hope is that that others will find this information useful. After all, I wish I would have known about this company many $$$$ and years ago. I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have.

e
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg
Views:	1295
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	2136479   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0949.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2136480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0952.jpg
Views:	1680
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2136481   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0953.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2136482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0954.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	2136483  

Last edited by enzothecat; 01-22-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:04 PM
coyv10

Nice boat I hope you are running with pool noodles in it for flotation incase of flip
Old 12-19-2015, 01:37 PM
enzothecat

Originally Posted by coyv10
Nice boat I hope you are running with pool noodles in it for flotation incase of flip
There is a wall of carbon fiber in front of the engine. I imagine there is foam behind that. With that said, this thing is HUGE. It would not sink easily.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:35 PM
SS RC Boats

Originally Posted by enzothecat
There is a wall of carbon fiber in front of the engine. I imagine there is foam behind that. With that said, this thing is HUGE. It would not sink easily.
Without flotation it will sink much faster than you think. I own boats much bigger than the 60" boat you have and have seen them flip and take in water faster than i was able to get to it in my 13' Skiff. Luckily i run noodles the whole length of boat if not they would have went straight to the bottom.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:34 PM
jameskl

This is just my two cents worth but with that much of an investment i wouldnt risk relying on there possibly being flotation built in i would put in some more because once it sinks its not always retriveable , been there done that again just my two cents worth .
Old 12-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Enzo - Beautiful Apache indeed. Get one of your neighbors to shoot some video for us!!

Do not overlook the advice mentioned earlier regarding flotation - also flotation in the hatch too (nothing worse than trying to get a hatch repainted as the one you lost is in the deepest part of the pond ).

Any chance you could drop me a note with how much you paid for her with paint (I assume Bonzi did the paint too).
Old 12-22-2015, 05:19 AM
enzothecat

Originally Posted by Justaddwata
Enzo - Beautiful Apache indeed. Get one of your neighbors to shoot some video for us!!

Do not overlook the advice mentioned earlier regarding flotation - also flotation in the hatch too (nothing worse than trying to get a hatch repainted as the one you lost is in the deepest part of the pond ).

Any chance you could drop me a note with how much you paid for her with paint (I assume Bonzi did the paint too).

PM Sent. What type of flotation device should I use for the hatch? I have been thinking about that myself. I almost had 2 hatches painted just in case.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:41 AM
SS RC Boats

I use flat pool noodle but that is hard to find nowadays since its been discontinued but the round pool noodle will do the same job. Just cut the noodle in half(half moon shape) and GOOP it to the hatch and your good to go.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:59 AM
enzothecat

Originally Posted by SS RC Boats
I use flat pool noodle but that is hard to find nowadays since its been discontinued but the round pool noodle will do the same job. Just cut the noodle in half(half moon shape) and GOOP it to the hatch and your good to go.

You just gave me an idea whn you said "flat" so I just ordered several of these floats for go-pro cameras. I'll let you know how they work. They are flat and should do nicely. I'll test out the flotation capability of them on the hatch of course.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00
Old 12-22-2015, 08:12 AM
SS RC Boats

Yeah those should work fine. You could try about 4 of them...than take hatch and push it under water,if i floats itself than your good to go.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Justaddwata

Cut pool noodle or bogey board (get a cheep one from Walmart or the dollar store) and cut a piece to work. Might cost you a few dollars - but a fraction of the price of a painted hatch. Use a quality aquarium glass silicon to secure it (some silicons do not do a great job of bonding).
Old 01-10-2016, 05:19 PM
enzothecat

It took 6 of those go pro floats to make the hatch float well. 4 would get it up to the surface, but I thought a couple extra couldn't hurt. That way i could loose 2 if the hatch impacted with the water. Its a very large hatch so I had the freedom to place them strategically.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:47 PM
jameskl

Hey enzo do you have any vid of it running please .
Old 01-11-2016, 10:48 AM
looker2756

That is an Awesome boat you have !
I own a couple Bonzi Boats myself, and they are very nice quality, Not to mention built right here in Indiana too.

Can't wait to see some running video if you got it.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:22 PM
enzothecat

I'll post the video for you below...but you have to reciprocate with pictures of your Bonzis. They are truly amazing, arent they?

This is a video of my 60 "Bonzi Epic with BZX5 engine from www.bonzisports.com. It was taken before break-in and before the swim platform was added. So top speed here is limited to about 3/4 throttle. After this the boat was returned to Bonzi to be re-tuned and to have the swim platform added. I was recording video with one hand and driving with the other. I had to steer with my thumb. So forgive the poor videography and driving. Radio: Futaba 4PX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DSi...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-11-2016, 11:26 PM
Justaddwata

Nicely done.

Something worthy of consideration - If you are going to continue running there you might want to give additional attention to quietening her down. Muffler, water injection, steel wool, internal stinger etc. You will find that people do not share your hobby all too often. If you were using a chainsaw making the same noise for hours there would be no complaint - but because you have a smile on your face you will surely get complaints. And once they complain it does not matter how quiet you make it - it will be too loud.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:21 AM
looker2756

And the Several others ...

Old 01-12-2016, 04:09 PM
enzothecat

Originally Posted by Justaddwata
Nicely done.

Something worthy of consideration - If you are going to continue running there you might want to give additional attention to quietening her down. Muffler, water injection, steel wool, internal stinger etc. You will find that people do not share your hobby all too often. If you were using a chainsaw making the same noise for hours there would be no complaint - but because you have a smile on your face you will surely get complaints. And once they complain it does not matter how quiet you make it - it will be too loud.
You are a wise man. Unfortunately its too late. Already had a guy drive his pickup over and pull in front of my lake home screaming his eyeballs out at me while I was on the pier on the other side of my property. He lives back in the channel far away. The hypocrite is always shooting off fireworks at all times of the night through out the entire summer. What an asshat. Bonzi did quiet her down a little when they added the swim platform for me. We will see what happens next spring. My nearest neighbors all think is really neat.

Gorgeous boats Looker! Thanks for sharing. BTW, what did you use to make the gold boat stand?????

Last edited by enzothecat; 01-12-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:34 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aluminum stands you can find on eBay -- various colors around

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Boa...AAAOxy0NtTFD05

Bonzi makes a silencer for their pipes as well

http://www.bonzisports.com/store/bon...only-p-94.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	silencer.jpg
Views:	2041
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	2141154  
Old 01-13-2016, 04:56 AM
looker2756

Thanks, The stands shown on ebay above are cool, but I think I will contnue with the PVC, because it is much cheaper, and I can decide all demensions.
Old 01-13-2016, 03:38 PM
Justaddwata

Originally Posted by enzothecat
You are a wise man. Unfortunately its too late. Already had a guy drive his pickup over and pull in front of my lake home screaming his eyeballs out at me while I was on the pier on the other side of my property. He lives back in the channel far away. The hypocrite is always shooting off fireworks at all times of the night through out the entire summer. What an asshat. Bonzi did quiet her down a little when they added the swim platform for me. We will see what happens next spring. My nearest neighbors all think is really neat.
Would not hurt to look at something to quieten her still. A quiet boat is by no means a slow boat (some of the fastest boats I have seen are among the quietest). You will find every neighborhood has at least 1 asshat - a shame you have already found 1 of yours. Amazing how quickly doing something fun will bring them out!
Old 01-22-2016, 04:47 PM
enzothecat

Justaddwata,

i just put something together. You are the one that built the 96" fountain that was on the traxxas website arent you? It was your posts that led me to Bonzi and large scale gas boats! I saw your Arneson in a picture you posted and was blown away. In that thread you mentioned Bonzi and the boat in the OP avove is the result.

I found that thread when I went looking for help after I sunk a 36" electric on our large lake. I was really discourage and about to give up. I hope I'm not mistaken in thinking thats you and if it is you, I hope you still have that fountain. It is amazing. I would LOVE to see pictures of the engines, setup and more detail of that boat if its not too inconvenient.

Anyway, THANK YOU for getting me back on track with this hobby. See how dangerous your posts can be!

e

Last edited by enzothecat; 01-22-2016 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:04 AM
Justaddwata

I am glad my post was helpful but will not be held responsible if your significant other sees how much you spent! But what you have made is gorgeous! Glad I played a (small) part in getting such a great boat made!

I did not actually build the 96" fountain - was a close buddy of mine who did. I purchased the hull first and then he sold off the motors so I pieced her back together. I still have her though have been actively trying to sell her (Believe it is in the classified section). She is just too much boat for me to play with without a crew to help launch her. http://imageevent.com/justaddwata/myboats
Old 01-25-2016, 03:51 PM
enzothecat

Thanks for the explanation. I found the classified ad. Great pictures.

1. I asked my wife it I could buy it. She said no.
2. She also said we are all crazy
3. I saw the back of the boat. Are you Dasboata or was that the builder? I ask, because I've corresponded with Dasboata elsewhere.
4. It is gorgeous. In MY opinion and tastes, that is by far the most amazing r/c vehicle I've ever seen. You should keep her. Too bad you're so far away.

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:53 AM
Justaddwata

Dasboata (Chris Hoffman) is a good friend and is the prop man - while he builds a great boat this one came from a buddy near Boston who is out of boats at the moment. He also built the Miss Geico and Dewalt Cat I own/ed. He always tended toward the more extreme end and had a great eye for detail.

My wife will not dispute the crazy argument. I have around 50 gassers in various stages of completion. So call it an addiction! My wife moved me from a house on a lake to a farm - perhaps trying to separate me from the hobby a little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.