Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

G260rc or G320rc in a boat?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

G260rc or G320rc in a boat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 04:48 AM
Crazykappa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G260rc or G320rc in a boat?

I recently bought a 55" boat, that i thought was a good deal at the time. Now i am thinking the engine is not powerful enough for the hull, although i have yet to run it. I intended to redo the hull, new paint, reinforce a bit, so i have yet to run it. But after doing a bit of reading, i am thinking the engine i have, that has zero markings, will not cut it.

If i had intended to spend serious money on a new engine, i would have just went with new hull and such. Well i have been wanting to build a RC buggy using a G26 or G32, could i swap between the two? My hull is missing the hatch anyways, so i would just run open cockpit, would that be enough to keep engine cool?

Also, what else would i need to do to make it so i can switch back and forth? Would it be a serious pain?

Thank you very much
Mike
Old 03-30-2016, 04:38 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

OK, from Square One. There are some very lightweight hulls in that size like the Aeromarine Signature 57.
RC boat engines are usually 2 different beasts from their air-cooled brethren. Another thing that going to be a gigantic hassle after a while is the swap itself. There will be a LOT of things to remove then put on; clutches, motor mounts etc. that will get old really quick.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:57 PM
Crazykappa

If i run the clutch in the boat, that would save some swapping. Besides that, the motor mount, what else would i need to swap out? Considering i will use the buggy far more then the boat, (once its built) i don't see me having to switch more then 4-6 times a year. Unless i cant run the same clutch with both the car, and the boat, i just don't see the big deal, remove motor, swap mounts, install motor. Cant see it taking more then 20 min, particularly if i buy a quick release mount for the buggy.

Will the stock clutch work for the boat, and if not, is there a clutch for the Zenoah that will work for both buggy and boat? What do i need to connect my drive to the clutch? If i cant use the stock clutch, i will run without a clutch in the boat, as taking the clutch off is not a big deal.

I do get your point about hassle, but to be perfectly honest, i get no boat motor if i have to buy an expensive motor for both. The boat was an impulse buy, i spent $140 on it, and intended to spend $80 fixing it up, (repaint, reinforce, minor fixes) i have spent $160 in material only to find, i need a new engine. I simply can not justify blowing another $300+ on what was meant to be, a cheap boat... However, i had already intended to build a buggy in the near future, something i have been waiting years to do, so i can buy a motor for that, use it till i finnish the buggy build, then re-purpose it back to the boat from time to time.

Who knows, i might like it so much i will buy it its own motor, but besides a nitro boat back the day, (i hated it, the nitro, not the boat) i have never gone with boats.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:17 PM
Ron Olson

I was heavily into nitro for years before making the transition to gas so I know what you mean.
OK, just so I know a little more about trying to help you out I checked out www.davesmotors.com to see what else is involved. One other big problem is the pull-starter and fan shroud being in the way, especially when trying to mount an air-cooled engine in a boat. If yours doesn't have the huge shroud then you might be good.
If you can pull a gas motor out of a truck or buggy that fast, that's really good as it takes me at least that long to pull an engine out of one of my gas boats. I've never run clutched engines in boats and never will but trying to set one up in a boat or removing everything to hook it up to an unclutched setup could be more fun.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Crazykappa

You can get a CY shroud that is smaller, but i just measured, its actually shorter then the motor i have in there now, so it will fit just fine even with the stock shroud. If i was to go without a clutch, what would i need to connect the shaft of the G320rc to a 1/4 square drive? Yeah perhaps i was underestimating how long it would take, but even if it took an hour, i could live with that. So besides changing mounts, and removing clutch, would there be anything else i would need to swap out?

Thank you!
Old 03-31-2016, 08:29 AM
Ron Olson

To use the square drive setup, here is a place that has both the collet and the insert among other things you might need. http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....2652d08639382d
Old 03-31-2016, 06:26 PM
Crazykappa

Thank you very much! I know boats need a flywheel, does the G320rc have one, and is it enough? I have no problem with the trouble of swapping out, but i don't want to harm the motor by running in a boat. Is there any reason besides the hassle, that i should not do this? I don't want to ruin a $300+ motor.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:29 AM
Ron Olson

All of the gas engines have a flywheel so another one isn't needed.
The 320 is another beast as it needs a motor mount made for it. Most on the market are made to fit the Zenoah's, RCMK's, Sikk/CY/Dynamite's but with the larger case needs another one so if you find a dealer that sells the 320's they will probably have the proper one.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:32 AM
Crazykappa

Huh, i thought it had the same footprint as the rest, ill have to double check that. From the pictures, it looks like there is a horizontal post hole at the very back and bottom of that motor. It looked as if all i would need are the rubber post bolts, not sure what they are called, the two bolts that connect motor to rail. But even if that is not the case, i got no problem either buying or making the mount, I just wanted to make sure i would not harm the rc version, by running in a boat.

Thank you for all the help!
Old 04-01-2016, 11:05 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

realistically I can see this being something you will do once and never go through the hassle of swapping back again. A boat engine would be great in a car (if you could cool it) but a car engine will be a bit of a compromise in a boat.

I would honestly recommend waiting until you can commit to spending the $$ needed to do it right the first time.