Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New to boating, new to forum, what boat do I have?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New to boating, new to forum, what boat do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 10:17 AM
DragonInside

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to boating, new to forum, what boat do I have?

Hola, I'm new to the forum, I've always been into RC's since I was a kid and my first RC when I was 10-11 was a T-Maxx that my dad made me get into and I loved it since, now I have a heavily modded Traxxas Slash that I absolutely love and I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Recently my dad bought from a garage sale a gas powered RC boat with no radio that wants me to fix up and get it running to use it by our house on the river but we don't know anything about it other than the fact that it's gas powered and close to 1.5m long, so I'm hoping you boaters might help me identify it, what engine is in there and recommend me what parts I could use and from where, I'll include some pics he took:
Dog for scale
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lancha RC gasolina 22 Marzo 2016 006.JPG
Views:	543
Size:	3.26 MB
ID:	2161392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lancha RC gasolina 22 Marzo 2016 005.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	3.13 MB
ID:	2161393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lancha RC gasolina 22 Marzo 2016 003.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	2161394  
Old 05-10-2016, 04:14 PM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really do not know that hull. What I would do is get the motor fired up. You may need a new carb or a rebuild kit for that one. but not every one has success with the kits. take the prop cable out and greese it up then replace it. mix your pump gas with 4 oz of 2 stroke oil per gallon and see if it starts up.If so then play with the radio gear and see if it works. if it does not look into a flysky system. just have fun for as cheap as possible it does not look like a bad boat but its very old school and not worth putting a lot of money into but lots of enjoyable hobby time is always good stuff. Have lots of fun and see if your first gas boat sets the hook real deep and you start looking for your next boat project.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:42 AM
DragonInside

Thanks for the reply, I'll try to get the engine running when I can and I'll buy a FlySky Red i3 radio and some waterproof servos.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:44 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What brand of engine and cc's ? It looks similar to the Ryobi 31cc engine,except it has the exhaust on the side of the cylinder ,instead of to the back of the engine. It also has the carb on the bottom of the crankcase ,instead of the back of it. Also it is a full crank engine and not a half crank like the Ryobi's and others like them.Having the cooling fins down on the hull cuts the cooling to the engine,but in the case of this engine there seems to be no other choice.Does those grooves on either side of the deck have holes to vent the inside of the hull ?
Attached Images   

Last edited by Tidnab; 05-11-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:16 AM
DragonInside

I have no idea still what engine it is or its displacement, I don't have much details because I'm away for school and I'll get to see it first hand in July.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hull Looks like a proboat SHockwave 55 -
https://www.google.com/search?
q=proboat+shockwave+55&sa=X&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS531US531&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=935&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwjq1M2lmdXMAhWFcj4KHflgDm4QsAQIIg

Motor looks like a pocket bike motor off ebay. Been around a few years - not sure the quality. Chinese branded.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/49CC-2-STROK...eprHyg&vxp=mtr
Old 05-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good show JAW ! I owned one as my first boat and didn't even recognize it.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:33 PM
DragonInside

Thank you Justaddwata, it pretty much is a Proboat Shockwave 55. I'll see if I can get the engine running soon or just change it for a Zenoah 31cc. What servos do you recommend for steering and throttle?
Old 05-13-2016, 02:06 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a standard 40 oz servo will be fine on the throttle, The rudder will want more 125oz will work ok but the more you get the better.But really I would just run what you have at first. If you buy the 260 zenoha, the right mount,pipe,collet ect you will be getting to a point were you might want to just build a new boat and keep that one for friends that come with you to the lake to play with. And also for you to be certain you like the hobby to spend the money to build a non entry level boat.What you have will not be fast on today's standards but it is right in there with what got gas boats started.Even the bench time trying to make it as fast as you can is a big and fun part of the hobby for many.You can always move up to a more up to date powered boat but you have a great learning and even seeing if you like it foundation right there. have fun.