Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New Seahawk 72 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New Seahawk 72 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:26 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danielplace
Yes I edited it a few minutes after I posted and read it and didn't think you would like the sound of it either so I fixed it.

Flysky ?? $7 receivers. It is no wonder the failsafe didn't work and your boat crashed. LMAO !!!

$2000 boat. $40 radio. $7 receivers. Not a good combination.

You should have saved the money for the kill switch and spent it on a decent radio.

You are missing the point.

Again it isn't even about the possibility of more electronics increasing the risk of meltdown it is about keeping the $500 engine from ingesting water.

No worries. Happy boating.
Never said it was a flysky in the other boat now did I? You should get your head out of your know what as I'm not interested in your know-it-all attitude and editing your posts afterwards. I never even heard of flysky until tom told me about them recently. Looks like they work great and the majority that don't like them because they spent big money on something else so have to put it down.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:30 AM
danielplace

When it comes to boats yes I have a know it all attitude because I have been doing it long enough I just about do know it all.

Bad habit I have of trying to fix something that can't be fixed.

There is no need for you to get a attitude with me.

Flysky radio's aren't that great and trust me no one is wishing they had bought one over something that is a real radio instead of a small child's play toy.

Go to any site that has any lengthy discussions on those radio's and you will see everything needs a modification to function properly. From the power switch to the steering wheel. There are half a dozen different things they are fixing so they can even use the radio's properly. I personally would rather work on the boat/engine not the radio. That I just want to function properly out of the box.

I am sure you will be happy with yours knowing you saved so much money on it and everything. Oh man, are the Futaba guy's gonna be jealous.

Seriously though I hope your boat works out great and you are able to enjoy it. Best of luck.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:03 AM
The Saylors

Are....are we fighting? Rc's usually make everyone so happy
Old 06-21-2016, 09:11 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

Originally Posted by The Saylors
Are....are we fighting? Rc's usually make everyone so happy
O they do! I should have pretty much everything on the way here. I know Thursday lots of good stuff will show up.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:14 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

Back in the day I invested in a Futaba 4PK, I think I used about 1% of the functions of it. Especially with a boat, don't really need anything other then trim adjustments and endpoint adjustments. Sold that guy when I sold most of my RC cars.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38374_102627653124270_1160874_n.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	2168896   Click image for larger version

Name:	34308_102627739790928_4641082_n.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	2168897  
Old 06-21-2016, 09:51 AM
The Saylors

I love when i get big shipments. Feels like Christmas when you were a kid, not like an adult, i hate Christmas as an adult lol
Old 06-21-2016, 06:03 PM
mistycreekboats
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To compare a Spectrum fail safe to Futaba is a joke.

Been running a long time and when I'm lucky enough to get help on any electronics from Daniel. I listen.

Good luck with your build. Spartan was too fast !! Lol. Seen a few at the lake. Little kids toy.

Boats are little diff than any RC and a good gas boat will run 65-70 mph. All day long.

They rev way higher than cars or buggies and for way longer. And our DISTANCES for radios needing to work is way longer than cars.

There is a whole different level of "real dam fast" hardcore gas boaters out there. Not the Bonzi (bling and waaaay over priced) and WHH. (Good starter boats but heavy and out dated)

At the hardcore level we have few guys who back up what they say. Daniel Place being one of the best no BS boaters.

Have fun.

Oh and don't stand in the water

Cheers

Randy

If u wonder who I am just go to Misty Creek Boats on uTube.

Zoom zoom. Have fun.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:17 AM
The Saylors

Lol sorry i forgot to bow when he left the room
Old 06-22-2016, 08:30 AM
mistycreekboats

Originally Posted by The Saylors
Lol sorry i forgot to bow when he left the room
Always one in the room. Usually the most clueless one in the room.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:28 AM
The Saylors

Old 06-22-2016, 09:31 AM
The Saylors

A rude Canadian? I suppose there is always something new to see. As for the futaba vs specktrum when it comes to boats i agree with you. Specktrum only has one marine receiver that i know of and it's not supposed to be that great.

Last edited by The Saylors; 06-22-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:13 PM
mistycreekboats

I believe you forgot to bow. Rude. Lmao

Good luck on your projects.

Have a nice day.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:26 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well to set my statements straight, I do agree JR is to me the best for Aircraft radio's But not even close for surface and just plane bad for boats, But I was only a half million dollar a year shop from Horrizon and Great planes when I had my hobby shop for 25 years. personally to me expert opinions mean very little. Guys like Jerry from Seaducer boats can make anything he touches go fast as can be. Others can buy what he buys copy his build and not be anywhere near him, I saw him break a world record by 12 mph before. I only care what works for Joe average. My point is that I will be happy to put up my feed back from modelers all over the country and world for that matter over what any click in any given location have to say. Or what is posted on line for the clicks that run the forums. Reminds me of the magazine days, Great planes came out with a rtr plane or what ever and with the amount of advertising they did you would never read a bad review. Fly sky like Futaba and every one else has had some issues,BUT that was years ago, today they work just fine and I get 0 bad feed back from the people that use them. the 2.4 radio's across the board are simply much better then the FM or AM from years ago. Most failures these days are from the users and not the products. batteries are the most likely failure point and I can not tell you how many people buy the best stuff and dollar general batteries. or some where cheap and off brand. I am not saying fly sky is better then Futaba. But personally my own boats would use fly sky just like my friends air craft do without a second thought.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:55 PM
The Saylors

Originally Posted by mistycreekboats
I believe you forgot to bow. Rude. Lmao

Good luck on your projects.

Have a nice day.
Aww Damn, were is the bow emoticon?!?! at least you aren't devoid of humor, good luck to you as well.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:00 PM
mistycreekboats

We have a lot of things go wrong in RC boats - but your radio should not be something you worry about

Seen lots of oops from 'duh' moves - but not from radio failure All Futaba pretty much here - use what you like and trust ----------- simple .

And Yes I have a sense of humor - shoot happens ........ eh

https://youtu.be/rKJ5s9LGCNQ

Think you can 'catch one' if something goes wrong and your standing in the water ???

Here a hardware piece broke - when it landed - the bow was imbedded 12" deep in bottom of lake (3' deep water)

https://youtu.be/1NPOZf5IdIM

Zoom Zoom ............... eh
Old 06-25-2016, 04:48 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

It should be common sence to not catch one if something goes wrong and its cruising. That is not what I meant. I mean when im all done with it im already in the water and i just pick it up and remove. Yes i will be in the water where we always are. No that is not where the boat is driven.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:42 AM
MadDogDan

The difference in what Daniel is saying and what the Killer Bee advocates are saying is that the Killer Bee switches shuts down the motor by disrupting your spark from the coil which does nothing to keep water out of the carb intake. When your radio's fail safe (on "quality" transmitters like Futaba) are employed they close the butterfly valve in the carb shutting down the engine and "closing off" the water's main point of entry.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:15 AM
expresscraft

I am apologizing on the forum in public to let Scott know I am sorry for the delays on his boat, he was hoping to be working on it this week end. We have been having some delays on getting things rolling again, most of the boats are pretty much the same to build but each one has little niches that make building them different. John has built our boats before but it was a long time ago and we have added boats he has never built, He has had to remake a few parts and each time it sets the delivery time back. I know Scott is very disappointed and he has been very understanding. I do not like being a manufacture that does less then growing our hobby by making buying and building and playing with boats just great. So again i am sorry and his build being delayed is my fault and not his. Lisa did go to johns shop yesterday and she helped get some of the things straightened out. I hope to have the Sea hawk ready to ship very soon.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:25 PM
expresscraft

Finally done and shipped and on its way.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:35 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by danielplace
You can also just backtrigger/brake the throttle and close the carb. This is what majority do and it may save your new engine from a early grave.
Don't use a cable.
Solid linkage and you remove the carb idle screw and the servo maintains your idle. Your radio trim sets the idle. That way when you set the backtrigger/brake up so it just closes the carb and the engine dies. You don't want to get in habit of 3rd channel remote ignition engine kills because you want to slam the carb closed at the first hint it is going to wipeout because if you ingest one drop of water in that new motor while it is still turning even one iota you will twist the crank and basically have a $500 anchor/paperweight.

The more electronic junk you put in a boat connected to the receiver or battery is one more thing to get ruined by water and/or otherwise short out and meltdown the entire wiring from the device to the battery and and other wires that were laying together with the wire that burned will be ruined also like the servos. The radio will do almost everything a remote kill will do except in case of total loss of power and if you use a coreless throttle servo the integral carb throttle spring is enough to close carb at loss of power. You can just set the failsafe to backtrigger and when you shut off transmitter it will close carb and kill the boat without an iota of extra wires or electronics.
So what do you do if there's any kind of radio failure? Without the remote kill switch, bye bye boat as it drives off into the sunset at full throttle.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:43 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by Foxvalleypcgeek
I never even heard of flysky Looks like they work great
One word...nooooope. Crashed a $3200 5th scale truck due to that piece of crap radio system. I had to try it because "everyone" said "oh man, this radio is the bomb...sell that $450 Airtronics radio you have and get this $30 radio...works great!!". What a friggin mistake that was!!
Old 07-03-2016, 08:51 AM
Johnnysplits

Oh btw, the Killer Bee switch did it's job.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:53 AM
Johnnysplits

Now I've never had issues with Futaba or Airtronics, but all it takes is one time. So for the price of that kill switch, it's cheap insurance.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:00 AM
mistycreekboats

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
So what do you do if there's any kind of radio failure? Without the remote kill switch, bye bye boat as it drives off into the sunset at full throttle.
I and everyone here I run with use Futaba - maybe 3 weekends a month in summer - 12+ years - Never lost a boat - and we run on some huge lakes.

If you don't set your radio up properly and "Range test" it - then another electronic gadget will not save your boat.

Maybe if you tested the range of your Flysky first you wouldn't have crashed it.

I use Futaba - I don't need 'gadgets' to feel secure with my radio - but then I do the tests FIRST to make sure. You can't cheap out on any part and expect it to work properly. Good radio, servos, switches (use Futaba) and batteries ------- cheap out on any part and don't expect good results .

There is a reason the boating guys with a little experience suggest what we do.

JMO
Old 07-03-2016, 12:32 PM
expresscraft

I remember building my first SIG four star 120. lots of colors of monokote and lots of work and it was beautiful. Took it out with a old Futaba ATTACK 4 AM radio and it flew so nice. I said this plane is to nice for this radio. When I got back to the hobby shop I replaced the receiver with one out of a brand new Futaba 7 channel PCM radio. I let the batteries charg good overnight, checked them with my volt meter. range checked at the field, But I did not have the g-23 engine started. So now i started it standing over it holding it in place between my legs as i worked all the controls with no issues. It was great and my second day out with this nice aircraft. stepped off, took off and out of control it went up and down and into the ground destroyed. Then i learned on gas planes PCM stood for positive crash mode back then. My 105.00 attck4 am radio worked great. also Futaba. My 450.00 futaba cost me a plane. Does that make Futaba junk? No not at all. Does it make PCM junk? no again. All radios have bad stories. Today for me I would have no problem using a flysky radio in a boat. and really in my Bob Violet F-16 way more expensive then boats and forgives mistakes way less I love JR. I would not use them In a boat though. JR in my helicopters as well. my m8 airtronics worked great in my boats, so does the futaba's even Dales cheap am that he still uses. And with lots of people using them because of there unbeatable price as well as receivers. The numbers of complaints on the flysky radio's is very very small. To me the one that works it the best one no matter what the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.