Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

New Seahawk 72 Build

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

New Seahawk 72 Build

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 02:17 PM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just so everyone know's joe at zippkits is awesome, he like others buy lots of parts from HOR Racing. HOR buys from others as well. We were probably the first to push there stuff here in the USA because I could not get in touch with aeromarine for flex cables, Anyways long story short. most of there parts are very good. But there mounts are terrible. I got 3 in and told each customer they were cheap junk. They did sell anyways, but I stopped carrying them. Some of the suppliers selling HOR's parts are calling them there own because they are that good. But who wants to order all the way from china and who wants to say they promote stuff from china? Me personally anyone making good model boat stuff is all good to me, I do not care where they live. Bruce at Gizmo will set you up with a good mount. I really do not know what else Joe carries but that line item is bad, Not zippkits.com
Old 08-01-2016, 07:51 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by expresscraft
just so everyone know's joe at zippkits is awesome, he like others buy lots of parts from HOR Racing. HOR buys from others as well. We were probably the first to push there stuff here in the USA because I could not get in touch with aeromarine for flex cables, Anyways long story short. most of there parts are very good. But there mounts are terrible. I got 3 in and told each customer they were cheap junk. They did sell anyways, but I stopped carrying them. Some of the suppliers selling HOR's parts are calling them there own because they are that good. But who wants to order all the way from china and who wants to say they promote stuff from china? Me personally anyone making good model boat stuff is all good to me, I do not care where they live. Bruce at Gizmo will set you up with a good mount. I really do not know what else Joe carries but that line item is bad, Not zippkits.com
They don't have any mounts at Gizmo right now. So looks like it will be the bonzi ones.

It's no surprise the zippkits mount broke, they are paper thin around the countersunk holes. Not sure why he would sell junk. And it broke at all three countersunk spots. At least nothing major happened. The pull start pulled away with the mount and that inside part that screws on to the flywheel cam off with it and was rubbing on the end. Which damaged the first thread on both the flywheel standoff and that part that goes inside of the pull start. Easy fix with the tap and die. Just happy the engine didn't shift over and damage my drive cable or anything. I could see the rubber isolators failing and falling apart. They are so tiny compared to the new ones I ordered. I reinforced them with zipties, if I didn't I bet I would have had much worse problems when that mount let go. The zipties kept it close.

Last edited by Foxvalleypcgeek; 08-01-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:43 PM
Foxvalleypcgeek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du60e2IJOdI I drove the drone while the brother-in-law drove the boat. Later on I took over and was going much faster and that's when the mount decided it had enough.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:55 PM
expresscraft

very, very cool.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Foxvalleypcgeek

And another from the same time on the GoPro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh4WV6kA0FU&feature=youtu.be New motor mounts this weekened, and I also picked up a few other things like a t-bar with a grease zerk, and the gizmo race pipe.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:31 PM
Foxvalleypcgeek

Very happy I picked up the gizmo gzr pipe. Not a single engine die all day. Sounded so nice and ran the best is has yet so far. Cut it for 13" as they recommended. I started the zipp pipe at 13 1/2 and ended at 13 1/8. It doesnt look very pretty but the weld job is much stronger looking and performs in my case.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:55 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

Fun times this weekend. Sometimes I'm not sure if it is a boat or a plane. Maybe I should get some turn fins as the turns can get pretty wicked and that back end likes to kick out. I know there is a nice 360, if not more on the gopro somewhere. Never did flip it, but some close calls.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4596.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2176194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4621.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	2176195   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4644.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	2176196   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4645.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2176197   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4602.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	2176198  
Old 08-08-2016, 07:15 AM
expresscraft

looks like you are having big fun with her now, very cool.Turn fins will help but they are not a must. the more you play the more you will just get a feel for the water conditions ect. and you will know were and how tight you can turn as well as work that throttle. It all does count and adds the need of more skill,more fun ect. You do computers and you know I play world of tanks, so to me turn fins are like illegal mods in your game...lol. But they might keep you from swimming after the boat soon,...lol. looks good have fun.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

looks like you are having big fun with her now, very cool.Turn fins will help but they are not a must. the more you play the more you will just get a feel for the water conditions ect. and you will know were and how tight you can turn as well as work that throttle. It all does count and adds the need of more skill,more fun ect. You do computers and you know I play world of tanks, so to me turn fins are like illegal mods in your game...lol. But they might keep you from swimming after the boat soon,...lol. looks good have fun.
I don't mind cheating haha. We will see, I may get some, but will have to make a little adjustment on the trailer as they turn fins would run right down into my PVC runners.

I don't drive with the top on much at all, even with a lot of openings it still gets pretty toasty in there. For example I can touch the cooling head and its barely warm with the top off. With the top, it will burn you.

Those are 2" holes in the back and 1 1/8 in the front. The top scoops I just dremeled out. So I still haven't gotten that figured out.

Name:	13669473_1057326407654385_3769170328998118039_o.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	2176201  
Old 08-09-2016, 11:17 AM
expresscraft

It looks to be opened up nice, I would go more on out then the in at this point the only thing I see that I would think is a problem is the in holes might be to high, Normally one hole that size 4-6" in front of and low on the carb side is enough, the hot air rises and should get pushed out of the holes in the back just fine,Also I hear what you are saying but the cylinder should be hot to the touch after a run, A 2 stroke does not run well if it runs too cool. I am certainly not saying to fry it, I am just saying that you probably would not want to grab it after a run even when all is perfect.So judge it more on if it loads up or slows down with the hatch on, then if its hotter to the touch. If the motor does not breath good it will load up. If it gets hot and slows down then it's too hot. should not do any damage while showing these symptoms, damage normally comes from too hot and a unloaded free spinning engine. what i am saying is a good guide line, but of course nothing with a engine is carved in stone, while you are there and I am here. just keep playing and having fun and it will keep falling into place.

Last edited by expresscraft; 08-09-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:21 PM
Foxvalleypcgeek

Turn fins make a huge difference night and day. Put the extra large speedmasters on. Didnt have to slow down at all on the turns either way and no spinning out. Very pleased!
Old 08-14-2016, 02:34 AM
expresscraft

Yes they do make a big difference, There are groups like BOMBA Bermuda offshore Model boating association that race in the ocean and do not allow them to be used. Simply to make things more scale to real boats and the skills it takes to drive them. Do not get me wrong I have nothing against anything that makes boaters happy, But on a forum that has all types flying heli's,jets ect. I do not want to paint a picture that making scale boats and playing with them is somehow under there hobby. And we are LOL but not so much in skills needed to do the building and the running.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:14 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

Thanks Tom for GizmoMotors. 7 orders now and all have shipped the same day (except the engine). I placed an order today and had a tracking number 13 minutes later. Just one issue and they sent me a new one to replace. The tuned pipe had that smaller long tube inside break off and was rattling around in there. The stinger? I got it out and ran without it but it was extremely loud hurting the ears lol.

I redid my stuffing tube setup and engine placement for this past weekend. Learned from the mistakes the first go at it. Now I have 2 brass tubes and a much smaller gap around the flex cable. No more little stream of water coming in at a stand still. Now its about a drop of water every 5 second or so after it runs and some of the grease comes out. Got a Tbar on there and a grease zerk. Takes 2 pumps with the engine running and all greased. I had to move the engine when I replaced the junk engine mounts with the bonzi ones as the angle was way off. I ran at first with the previous tube in place which was too short at that point. There was about 3 inches of exposed flex cable and it had some sag to it which I'm sure was also slowing it down a good amount. Had to manually lift it up a good half inch for it to go in the clutch cullet. It didn't even last very long, the flex cable ended up pulling all the way in the boat and coiled up in about a 0.5 second on the gopro I got to see it. Brand new cable destroyed in a few minutes lol.

Now we are rocking with an easily noticeable power increase at the same throttle i was going before. Don't feel any resistance at all when pushing the cable past the bend in the brass stuffing tube, and goes perfectly right into the cullet. There was a definite drag before on the steel one. I even used a pipe bender with the cable inside and it still had a good resistance afterwards.

My balance point is actually about 32% now from my testing and I really like where its at. I know you said 27% and I read 30% as well. And I seen elsewhere with good engine it could be even further then 30. So much more stable and the cheater turn fins to go along. I replaced my radio system already and now have telemetry and a gps module in the radio box. I was at 32MPH with 30.6% throttle. Some I'm thinking that 50MPH shouldn't be very difficult at all. It graphs out all my data for me to see later on the computer. Right up my computer geek alley. It was a pretty crappy weekend so conditions were not good so I didn't go any faster.

The bonzi silencer has hopefully pleased one of the neighbors at the lake. Ive been told it is a lot quieter, even though for me up close to the boat it doesn't seem all the much different.

The biggest problem I think was bolts constantly coming loose over and over again. Don't ever buy Vibra Tite brand loctite. It is 100% useless, even the red. I found green loctite brand that is high strength, high temp, and oil resistance. Not a single issue this past weekend with it and I went through 4 tanks of gas from full to empty without having a single issue. I tried to remove a couple bolts to see and ya its a pain to get out but ill take that. There were times the exhaust manifold bolts would completely fall out in a matter of a minute or 2 it was so bad.

Name:	13987500_1075145365872489_2952861029663586884_o.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	656.6 KB
ID:	2178050  
Old 09-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Foxvalleypcgeek

Working on boat #2 and found a club around here with boats. Had an awesome turnout this past Sunday.

Name:	FB_IMG_1474420790717.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	2182280   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1474420756917.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	2182281   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1474420804944.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	2182282  
Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 PM
expresscraft

Very nice glad to see you having fun.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:30 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

My buddy got his drone video done of Sundays fun. Those little hydros are nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z7RljwAjgY
Old 10-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Foxvalleypcgeek

Both boats are running great. I replaced the outdrive with the remote adjustable stinger on the Seahawk and ran with that this weekend. If it proves to be reliable Ill take that any day over the strut from Bonzi.

The yellow Magnum 57 hull is so quick to get up and go and a blast to drive with the modded 29.5 in there!

I didn't mention on here that my 30.5 from Gizmo ate an alignment pin a little while back and was out of commission as it destroyed itself. Piston was shot and crank was out of wack. It never stopped running but once I shut down and refilled it would not start again. Gizmo rebuilt it free of charge and sent it back. The modded 29.5 I have in the yellow hull I bought at that time to fill in the gap while the 30.5 was gone. Once I got it back the 29.5 went in yellow.

Some running today with the seahawk in the first half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0Ck7YAtv28

Name:	IMG_5346.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	2184202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5359.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	2184203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5361.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	2184204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5365.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	2184205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5371.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	2184206   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5395.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	2184207   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5468.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	2184208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5491.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	2184209  

Old 10-03-2016, 07:48 AM
expresscraft

I do want to take the opportunity To say that you did have the one boat before this one for a short time,You are a computer guy and not stupid but you did not know much about boats. I am just pointing out so we never lose hobbyist from model boating, So to you guys looking at this thread, He took a chance without much experience, He is having fun and I hope he now has a life long hobby of seeing his own work pay off and lots of fun, I think a lot of it shows in this thread.

Last edited by expresscraft; 10-03-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:04 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

I do want to take the opportunity To say the you did have the one boat before this one for a short time,You are a computer guy and not stupid but you did not know much about boats. I am just pointing out so we never lose hobbyist from model boating, So to you guys looking at this thread, He took a chance without much experience, He is having fun and I hope he now has a life long hobby of seeing his own work pay off and lots of fun, I think a lot of it shows in this thread.
Thanks Tom, I was very happy with the yellow hull the second it hit the water. Definitely was a lot better experience then when the seahawk first hit water. Figured things out over the summer and incorporated all that into the new boat. The water is getting pretty cold now unfortunately but I guess they were still running on the pond in December last year. We will see! The lake is just so much more entertaining though, Flat glass is just not the same excitement level lol.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:35 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good to see another addict!

But Scott - Please - no more videos with kids and dogs being towed by your RC Boat. What you do is your business but sharing movies will only encourage others and it is downright dangerous - http://quickdrawengines.com/Page_102.html
Old 10-03-2016, 11:37 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

20 Feet away from a clutched prop....Closer to the prop when riding in the real boat.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:16 PM
expresscraft

Most of the model boats in the world are used by guys playing on there own, Half of the problem with model boating is the governing bodies that represent model boating do crap to really promote it as the great hobby it is, sure there are some really stupid things done by model boaters but they are SO safe compared to most things. More kids get hurt riding Bicycles or skateboards ect. I am not promoting running model boats around swimmers but living your life so scared of what might happen is such a waist of what could be a great life that you enjoy. If you want to live your life on the porch then good for you but really not the advice i would give.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:32 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxvalleypcgeek
20 Feet away from a clutched prop....Closer to the prop when riding in the real boat.
As I said Scott - your kid so your gamble. No doubt you have more experience with RC than the rest of us - and no one has ever lost control of an RC boat. Have fun and stay safe!

Last edited by Justaddwata; 10-03-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:46 AM
Foxvalleypcgeek

I dont have kids. And probably shouldnt ride a bike then too. Or a car or a 4 wheeler. The list goes on and on. Or our drones because man those props are dangerous too...maybe live in a box then lol.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:20 AM
expresscraft

There was some fool that was flying his drone over a neighbors back yard while she was sun bathing, her boyfriend through a beer can at it and knocked it out of the sky it hit her in the face and cut off her nose, Great example of 1 total idiot with a drone, but nothing said about all the ones used every day without issue. this politically correct world we live in has made our men more like woman, they have not gotten stronger men have just gotten neutered.....LOL main thing is sure, be safe but have fun. I am glad you are doing that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.