Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Expresscraft Not Open For Business?

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Expresscraft Not Open For Business?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 11:24 AM
FROGMAN524
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Expresscraft Not Open For Business?

So about 10 years ago I built a 65" GTX from Expresscraft and sold it the following year when I went off to college. Well, now it's been 5 years since I graduated college and I've gotten married and so on and so forth. I emailed them the other day looking to have an RTR built or possibly order up another hull and build again. The e-mail I got back said the owner had had some health issues and would not be building any more boats right now. Would there be a retailer out there that would have some of their hulls in stock still?
Old 12-06-2016, 05:28 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You usually bought directly from Tom. The business has been for sale for a while.
Old 12-07-2016, 02:00 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Last word I had heard Tom had worked out a deal with another guy and they were going to partner up and keep things working. I am not sure exactly where they are at but would not count them out just yet.

I remember your build Frogman and you had some pretty cool pics of the boat in a crystal clear lake if my memory is still working.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:34 AM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did have a friend that has a glass shop and was going to build our boats, But it did not work out. he already has parts for real size boats he does and just was not able to the bigger bite it was going to be to do our boats as well. We did try though, I have a guy that I am hoping will work and we will just build our boats at our shop and really this will be best. Finding the right person is the only real hurdle in the way. I do not even need a person with fiberglass experience. I just need a maticulas good worker. It's a great paying job, but people simply no longer want to do labor jobs. Its almost like the days of owning the hobby shop and people would buy a model airplane kit. Today its almost all RTF. A guy that wanted to make a good living building models would love this job, But that was a generation or so ago. sales of our boats has never been a issue, its always been keeping up with them. And really my guess would be that we are only selling 15-20% of were those sales would be if we built RTR's. No degree needed just motivation to work for a living. If these shoes fit come to Florida and lets get Expresscraft back in the game. I will partner up with the right person, I have the shop and the business you bring the work ethic and know there is a learning curve and lots of boats to be built just from the e-mails I already have from many asking to please let them know when we are back in the saddle again.personally my goal is to keep Expresscraft going even after my days are done.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:56 PM
FROGMAN524
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaddwata
Last word I had heard Tom had worked out a deal with another guy and they were going to partner up and keep things working. I am not sure exactly where they are at but would not count them out just yet.

I remember your build Frogman and you had some pretty cool pics of the boat in a crystal clear lake if my memory is still working.
Yep here is the build thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/spee...irst-boat.html

Might also be looking at an MHZ hull but not sure where to order one from?
Old 12-08-2016, 05:47 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by FROGMAN524
Yep here is the build thread

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/spee...irst-boat.html

Might also be looking at an MHZ hull but not sure where to order one from?

Yep - the 6th picture on your post here - http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/spee...ml#post4229319 looks like the boat is levitating (cannot say floating since it kinda is!!)

Good to see you back Ken!!

If you are considering MHZ you will need to go direct to Germany - and good news - 20% off for Christmas!! http://www.mhz-powerboats.com/

Last edited by Justaddwata; 12-08-2016 at 05:49 AM.