Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Round nose hydro kits for gas engines 1/8 or 1/6.

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Round nose hydro kits for gas engines 1/8 or 1/6.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 03:47 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Round nose hydro kits for gas engines 1/8 or 1/6.

How are the hulls of ..........R C Boat Company ? looking at 1/8 ROUNDNOSE HYDRO HULLS . GLASS ONLY. NO CARBON FIBRE. Any past experiences ? Are the boats accepted at races ?
Who is a decent place for motors ?
R C setups ?
Submerged hydro setup ? parts / Stuffing & submerged rudder setup?
Can I go with 0% and or 15 % E gas ? Parts available for the motors on E gas ?

Dating the 5 of us with submerged setups.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:50 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

There is a guy in Washington state that sells glass hulls for gas power. Let me see if I can find some shots of his work:
http://thunderboats.ning.com/photo/miss-seattle-too/next?context=album&albumId=6315479%3AAlbum%3A89826
http://thunderboats.ning.com/photo/david-williams-and-kirk-pagel/next?context=album&albumId=6315479%3AAlbum%3A89826
Old 09-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome to Zippkits! last week rolled out a new Scott Liddycoat Racing Thunderboat. Mine is going to be here tomorrow if you would like to try building from a wood kit.
Thunderboats are getting to be one of the top classes at races.
For racing, you're limited to the Zenoah 260 stock, www.gizmomotors.com probably has the best prices for them right now. Use the optional 257 carb stock of course.
In your area it's usually the IMPBA for racing so the rules are on www.impba.net .
I don't know about E-Gas as it can absorb water. I run Coleman camp stove fuel in my boats as it has a lot of upsides versus gas.

Last edited by Ron Olson; 09-19-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:13 PM
cyclops2

I really would like to use a front carb, rear exhaust engine due to a simple scale look . Also the exhaust system can be wrapped / insulated or cooled very easily. How many makes / companies are made that way. Or can I simply have the cylinder casting rotated 90 degrees with same power output ? These boats are for seniors. I have put a engine mounted electric starter on my Gizmotor.
1 member of the group will pay for what ever is necessary for all 5 guys to race together at the same time. Each member has a ability others do not. We are lucky that way.
At 80 I can not recall a lot of names of companies. Roger Newton plan is my boat with a Gizmotor 260. Will need a new bag tank. Can I use a car or plane metal or plastic tank to stop the bag rotting problem ?................These are really only sport running boats. No competition running intended.

Thank you for the help.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:26 PM
cyclops2

I forgot to mention the boats need to be fiberglass. Completely assembled. With full cowl sets available. The www.rcboatcompany.com sells a 1/8 round nose. Open or closed center. Pre foamed floatation or not.
I just completed 58 complete Great Lakes freighter boats for school kids to Magic Marker them as they please. Felt great to deliver them.

So I am ready to do these boats now.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 AM
Ron Olson

Look for 'glas gas scale hulls as a gas engine will not fit well at all in them. There are plenty of fiberglass Thunderboat hulls and seeing how they're not going to be used in sanctioned competition you can use rear-exhaust engines.
According to NAMBA and IMPBA rules the exhaust system can not show as it exits through the transom. You can add fake headers if you'd like to. You can use a plastic tank if you'd like to.
This site has one but more importantly is showing the setup. THUNDERBOAT
Old 09-20-2017, 01:01 PM
cyclops2

At present I am seeing the Venom hydro as our best choice.
Next is a engine that can toss a rooster tail. 40 mph should be enough speed for 5 guys aged 60 to 85 years old ?. All race restored full sized round nosed hydros. Doing LEFT HAND turns ONLY. Should be funny on the first turn. Standard gas engines for many reasons. Who makes FRONT in REAR out over the drive shaft ? Do any have a on the engine electric starter available ? I have built my own for the Gizmotor engine. Crude O ring & pulley on the small DC motor shaft.
Would like to use Octura submerged straight drive shaft & strut system. No flex.
Possible prop #s that are balanced & polished by the retailer.
Radio system for BIG fingered drivers.
Is Coleman fuel really white kerosene ?
I used 2 water pick up tubes. 1 to feed the cylinder head. 1 to feed the exhaust header elbow. both are rammed by the top of the prop blast area.
The Gizmo spark plug in my boat is a light tan / brown after a fast run & quick stop to check the color.
Am I missing things ?
Add anything I forgot.

Money is not a problem. 1 person is paying for everything required to get 5 boats running.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:28 PM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We do not make a round nose hydro in 1/8th scale. but we do make a model of the Executone , That also make a few other scale boats.. they are 275.00 a boat and are laid up with 1 layer of 1.5oz mat and 1 layer of 5.8 oz carbon fiber. Finishing one right now. They are nice with a rear exhaust gas motor. side exhaust also works just fine. here is a link to our Hydro page http://expresscraft.com/hydro.html just some pictures of the one we are building. I would also keep you posted on the progress of each one...many customers love to see there boats coming together.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hydro 002.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	2232937   Click image for larger version

Name:	daves hydro 002.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	2232941   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydro and apache 001.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	2232942  

Last edited by expresscraft; 09-20-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:37 PM
Ron Olson

RCMK has the lower priced rear-exhaust engines as the CMB's are very expensive. The problem is that you have to buy them in South Korea but shipping time isn't that bad.
Finished props aren't cheap but AquaCraft may have one that'll work which are already balanced and fairly well sharpened out of the package. Zippkits sells a 2716 2-blade that they sell with their hydro kits. It's a low-lift 15 degree prop which makes for good launching without cavitating.
For ham-handed drivers there are some that you can interchange the grips on for more comfort.
I'm not into a hard shaft setup but to each his own.
I don't know if white gas and camp stove fuel are the same but a lot cheaper as I know that I can get it at some gas stations plus it's gas tax-free.
I just turned 65 on Sunday but a lot of older guys are still pretty spry at those ages. I've raced against many that have years on me, well into their 70's.

Tom, do you have the left side Speedmaster rudder setup?

Last edited by Ron Olson; 09-20-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:23 PM
expresscraft

Not sure what you mean Ron. I can mount a Turn fin pad on both or either sides. I do not have a shopping cart on my web site because I talk to each customer to try and build what they want. good example on the hydro is gas motor 5" rails, nitro maybe 4" electric maybe no rails. I do not know what the left side set up is. Is that a difference in the hull or just the hardware mounted on the hull? Best thing is we are talking Boats.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:17 PM
Ron Olson

As you know, most rudders go on the right side. On some other boats though have to be on the left. It has nothing to do with turn fins.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:26 AM
expresscraft

Yes I have herd of hydro guys and some out rigger guys that run the rudder on the left side. I have never done it. And really do not know what I do not know. So I was not sure if it was for turning left or what when you asked. I have herd it does not make a difference on those boats. But again I have never tried it and really do not know. I do know our Hydro runs good on a regular right side mounted rudder and have no idea how she would do with one mounted on the left side.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:45 AM
expresscraft

Here is the one we are building now. This one is almost done. still need to make more dust, put wood in and then deck goes on and she is done. You can see with the deck ring we mold on under the deck will make a great deck/hull bond. And with all the parts done in carbon fiber, this is a strong hull. She also runs great. At 275.00 a hull very hard to beat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	daves hydro 001.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	363.3 KB
ID:	2232977   Click image for larger version

Name:	daves hydro 002.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	273.5 KB
ID:	2232978   Click image for larger version

Name:	daves hydro 003.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	264.1 KB