Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Hypersport 48 Upgrades

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Hypersport 48 Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 10:16 AM
429CV23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypersport 48 Upgrades

I got the water pump and Arrow Shark TS760-Marine starter installed. Way too cool. Starter has worked very well for the first few quick start tests. Fires in less than a second. The fuel tank fits perfectly with the starter. Had to clearance the motor mount just a bit for the starter motor. Just need to mount the R-One controller and battery. I think I'll use velcro for both, mount one on each side of the fuel tank. If the rails were taller I'd fab a bracket for the controller.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lg-254094.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2234975
Old 10-03-2017, 12:34 PM
crapshooter

Looks very nice. nothing like the press of a button to start your engine. i run Belt starters on my high compression gas engines, got sick of pulling the life out of the engine mounts etc when the engine did,t want to fire up, now its a pleasure.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:06 PM
expresscraft

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks very good, how is the quality of the metal Arrow shark used, I had a early model that was great but the material was terrible, the plates ect would not hold a thread. It was something they could fix by simply using better metal. And I hope they have, Love great boating stuff, and that is very cool.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:44 PM
429CV23

Originally Posted by expresscraft
Looks very good, how is the quality of the metal Arrow shark used, I had a early model that was great but the material was terrible, the plates ect would not hold a thread. It was something they could fix by simply using better metal. And I hope they have, Love great boating stuff, and that is very cool.
I don't know if I can really comment much on the quality now. It seems like they've made significant changes in the system since it was released last year. The belt drive used to have 2 tensioner/idlers which have been removed. I had to disassemble the belt drive in order to adjust it fully for installation clearance. It was also easier to just remove the whole belt drive section at that point to access the mounting bolt under it, which otherwise would require a very short, cut-down allen wrench. It was well constructed and I had no issue with reassembly or tightening the screws.
As of right now, I'd say the quality is good, but that could change once I'm able to get it in the water and use it a few times. I'll comment on its reliability periodically.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:47 PM
429CV23

Originally Posted by crapshooter
Looks very nice. nothing like the press of a button to start your engine. i run Belt starters on my high compression gas engines, got sick of pulling the life out of the engine mounts etc when the engine did,t want to fire up, now its a pleasure.
I considered a belt starter, and saw some nice units with a LiPo incorporated, but they were pricey too, around $160 if I remember correctly. But the extra convenience of being able to start remotely was worth the extra coin.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:15 AM
429CV23

So a quality issue has quickly surfaced. Once the engine is started, there is no rudder or throttle control. I tried multiple changes to wiring routes, removing the flex shaft, etc to see what might be causing the interference. This morning I removed the R-One starter controller and everything works fine now.
I emailed Arrow Shark support late last week to see what the light pattern on the R-One meant; alternating red/green flashes. It didn't give me warm fuzzies when they said they didn't know. I'll be calling them tomorrow to discuss the R-One failure; I'm assuming/hoping it is just an acute failure, not a systemic one.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:14 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you happen to replace the spark plug? Sounding like a symptom of using a Non Resistor spark plug. Once the motor runs the plug creates major interference with the radio. Check you are using a resistor plug or replace with a new resistor plug - might be and easy fix for the problem.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:50 AM
429CV23

I have not replaced the plug. I did a test a couple days ago and will again tonight. If I power on the transmitter and cycle the 3rd channel several times before powering the R-One unit it seems to work OK. I still have to turn the R-One off/on because once it initializes it energizes the starter. Once I turn it off and on again it is fine, and only energizes the starter motor when the 3rd channel is switched. Still seems a bit buggy to me.

I have a Fly Sky GT3C for my nitro trucks and have a few extra receivers for it. I may set it up and see if it has the same issues as the Spektrum system.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:56 AM
429CV23

I tested the starter system again yesterday. Seems to be working fine as long as I cycle channel 3 prior to powering on the R-One starter controller. It still energizes the starter right away after turning it on, but after turning it off/on it works fine. So, glitchy/buggy but it works.

I'm very happy I decided to install the water pump even though the boat doesn't have a clutch (yet) so it isn't needed. Was really nice to be able to get the tune somewhat where it needs to be; will need to be further dialed in once it is in the water.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:34 PM
429CV23

Not much help from Arrow Shark tech support. I've repeatedly explained I power on the transmitter, cycle channel 3 several times to ensure it is 'Off' before powering on the R-One. I even linked a short video I shot. They don't seem to understand it energizes the starter motor ALWAYS when it is first turned on. They keep telling me to do exactly what I'm doing and it will solve the issue.
I'll try a few other things including switching to the Fly Sky system before scrapping the R-One and just installing a switch between the battery and starter.

Last edited by 429CV23; 10-16-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:33 PM
SlickZERO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you still need to choke the engine with the electric starter? If so do you use a separate servo for the choke?
Old 04-30-2018, 07:59 AM
429CV23

Originally Posted by SlickZERO
Do you still need to choke the engine with the electric starter? If so do you use a separate servo for the choke?
Easier to choke it by partially covering the horn with a finger. If it dies while in the water it should be warm enough to restart without choking it.