Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

My Craigslist Find/Rudder Question

Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

My Craigslist Find/Rudder Question

Old 05-07-2018, 02:40 PM
EricG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Craigslist Find/Rudder Question

I had been wanting to get back into gas RC boats, but had not wanted to shell out big bucks yet. I ran across an ad on craigslist for a 48" gas powered RC boat for $50! I thought it was a typo and contacted the guy. Sure enough it was $50 with radio and running engine! The engine appears to be an air cooled Homelite with a clutch. The guy said that he built the boat himself from an old weedeater. He used an old Traxxas radio and still used the gas tank from the weedeater, so it wouldn't sit down in the hull. The only thing it needs is a rudder which I'm having an issue with. Does anyone recognize the running gear I have on the back of this boat and what rudder will work with it? All I know right now is that it looks like it needs a wedge rudder but I have no clue what size. Also, can anyone ID the hull? He didn't know what the make was. Thanks!

Eric

Old 05-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The hull is a Radio Active Equalizer and the hardware is an Octura brand, The rudder you need is the WRBOLL with a 6 3/8" blade and you'll need another tiller arm which is the black thing that holds the rudder onto the bracket.I always buy two in case one breaks. Call Octura and order your stuff at 847-674-7351 They don't have a website.That bent wire rudder setup isn't very good. Move things around in the radio box to have the rudder control come out on the right side of the rudder and straight,no bends.You can get regular fuel tanks or an IV bag that will fit on the carb side of the rail.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:29 PM
EricG

Thanks for the info! I will move some stuff around in the radio box to get a straight shot at the rudder. Thanks for the info! Are the tiller arms universal or is there one specific to my rudder? Thanks again!
Old 05-07-2018, 06:05 PM
Tidnab

Originally Posted by EricG
Thanks for the info! I will move some stuff around in the radio box to get a straight shot at the rudder. Thanks for the info! Are the tiller arms universal or is there one specific to my rudder? Thanks again!
The tiller arms are for the wedge rudders. If you call them they'll know which go with the rudder. Make sure the rudder has a water pickup on it. The pickup should be on the right side of the rudder ,looking at it from the rear or trailing edge.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:22 PM
Tidnab

I have the same type hull,but mine is 52" and has a hatch cover. Did you get a hatch cover with yours ? Mine doesn't have an engine yet ,but will have the same hardware as yours.Still needs primed and painted.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:09 PM
EricG

Originally Posted by Tidnab

I have the same type hull,but mine is 52" and has a hatch cover. Did you get a hatch cover with yours ? Mine doesn't have an engine yet ,but will have the same hardware as yours.Still needs primed and painted.
No, mine did not come with a hatch cover however the previous owner did say that it came with one originally when he bought it.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:47 PM
EricG

The hull is a Radio Active Equalizer and the hardware is an Octura brand, The rudder you need is the WRBOLL with a 6 3/8" blade and you'll need another tiller arm which is the black thing that holds the rudder onto the bracket.I always buy two in case one breaks. Call Octura and order your stuff at 847-674-7351 They don't have a website.That bent wire rudder setup isn't very good. Move things around in the radio box to have the rudder control come out on the right side of the rudder and straight,no bends.You can get regular fuel tanks or an IV bag that will fit on the carb side of the rail.
I took your advise and called Octura. I spoke with Trudi who was incredibly helpful!! Some of the best customer service I've ever experienced!! I told her my dilemma and she immediately knew which parts I needed! I got everything shipped to me for $15.00. It was way easier ordering over the phone because I was able to explain to Trudi what I needed, and let me tell you, they are experts on their products! I would definitely recommend them! I'll have an update when I get the parts in!
Old 05-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Tidnab

I've dealt with them over the years and had great service. Their shipping is fast and won't drain your bank account.Their hardware isn't for racing, but serves it's purpose for a sport/play boat.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:10 AM
danielplace

The tiller arms are for the wedge rudders. If you call them they'll know which go with the rudder. Make sure the rudder has a water pickup on it. The pickup should be on the right side of the rudder ,looking at it from the rear or trailing edge.
The boat is a aircooled engine with a dry muffler exhaust. It likely doesn't need water for anything.

Just wanted to share something about rudder pickups. Our boats naturally want to turn right so to go straight the left side of the rudder is the working side. You want the pickup on the left or the working side otherwise the engine can get starved in the straights and only get proper flow while cornering to the right.
I realize you think we make right turns so the left side would starve it in the turns and it does slow the flow in the turns no doubt but a high performance engine is going to want best flow while in the straights so the left side is where the pickup works best by a long shot.

Never buy one with both right and left feeding one fitting. The side with the most pressure overcomes the other and most of the volume goes out the other side and never builds any pressure/flow.

Last edited by danielplace; 05-15-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:12 AM
EricG

Thanks for the info! The rudder got here today and everything fits perfectly! Unfortunately I can't run it today but I will soon! I got the one with the pick up and I'm going to leave it uncapped to see the difference in flow like you were saying. Can't wait to get this beast on the water!
Old 05-15-2018, 11:02 AM
EricG

Another question, I want to get a fuel tank that goes down in the hull. I'm just looking for a traditional hard tank and not an IV at the moment. Are there any that are ready to go? Something with a pickup already in the tank so I can just hook my fuel and return lines up? Also what do yall's fuel filling setups look like? I'm guessing most use a hand pump. Do yall drill into a regular gas can and put a fitting in to run hose inside of it? TYhis is my first time to have a running gas boat and have never got this far before. lol Thank for all the help so far!!
Old 05-15-2018, 05:14 PM
danielplace

Originally Posted by EricG
Another question, I want to get a fuel tank that goes down in the hull. I'm just looking for a traditional hard tank and not an IV at the moment. Are there any that are ready to go? Something with a pickup already in the tank so I can just hook my fuel and return lines up? Also what do yall's fuel filling setups look like? I'm guessing most use a hand pump. Do yall drill into a regular gas can and put a fitting in to run hose inside of it? TYhis is my first time to have a running gas boat and have never got this far before. lol Thank for all the help so far!!
I have these gas can adapters. Just need can and pump and 4 feet of 1/8" tygon. The Viton hose for in the can and the fuel filter clunk is included.

Click image for larger version

Name:	xPqaMv6.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	2260482

Last edited by danielplace; 05-15-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:19 PM
EricG

Very cool. Did you make the adapter or did you buy it?