Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Pulley starter collet

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Pulley starter collet

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 03:00 PM
Shandy24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulley starter collet

Hi all wanted to ask about the pulley collet starters you can buy online I want to buy on and use an electric motor to start the engine but keep my pull start in place hence the use of such a fitting.

To the part I don't understand is that the engine rotates pulling the threaded bar or screw in until it won't anymore and thus rotates with it this is simple however if I attach a motor to the pulley it will now rotate the screw this would surely cause it to rotate out the engine shaft how could this fitting then possibly work.

If you don't understand get a nut and bolt and imagine the bolt is your engine rotate the bolt in a single direction and the nut will tighten on it until it bottoms out and rotates with it, now rotate the nut in the same direction instead I. E starter you will now see you are undoing the nut and don't rotate the screw.

A Downside to the collet system is it works okay as a driving system but cannot be driven itself how do these attachments work.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:03 PM
Shandy24

Default Picture reference

I cannot post urls yet so can't include an image but if you Google collet pulley start you will see the offending item.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:27 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're talking about an onboard electric starter,don't waste you time and money on one. It ads weight to your boat and is something else to go wrong. I was going to put one on a boat but after reading up about them I decided not to. Better to put a pulley on the collet end and use an electric starter.
Collet/ Pulley Assembly Model Boat - $20.00
HD Electric Starter [3623] - $99.00 : Welcome to Zippkits!
Old 06-16-2018, 04:38 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidnab
If you're talking about an onboard electric starter,don't waste you time and money on one. It ads weight to your boat and is something else to go wrong. I was going to put one on a boat but after reading up about them I decided not to. Better to put a pulley on the collet end and use an electric starter.
Collet/ Pulley Assembly Model Boat - $20.00
HD Electric Starter [3623] - $99.00 : Welcome to Zippkits!
No, it goes on the other end and he said that he was keeping the pull-starter on.
I tried the Geezer Wheel on my modded RCMK 30. After break-in, it was easier for me just to use an Easy-Start. I got one to try as I've got bad shoulders. Consider that you'll have to buy if you already don't have them a good starter, at least a Sullivan Dynatron or Model 4 then 2 12-volt batteries plus charger.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:30 PM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
No, it goes on the other end and he said that he was keeping the pull-starter on.
I tried the Geezer Wheel on my modded RCMK 30. After break-in, it was easier for me just to use an Easy-Start. I got one to try as I've got bad shoulders. Consider that you'll have to buy if you already don't have them a good starter, at least a Sullivan Dynatron or Model 4 then 2 12-volt batteries plus charger.
With the one from Zippkits ,it mounts on the front of the engine and you still have the pull starter. It comes with a super collet and bolt.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:47 PM
danielplace

Nothing is going to unscrew as the collet is on a taper.