Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Finally got the boat! Information and help appreciated!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Finally got the boat! Information and help appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 06:57 AM
Cuzboss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got the boat! Information and help appreciated!

So regarding my last post in this very same forum, I had asked about the Shockwave 55 ss that I have wanted since ‘05. I finally found the exact one I wanted in mint condition pretty much fully upgraded! I will post some pics of it if I can from my iPhone. This will be my 1st gas boat (I have run brushless till now). It has a BH hanson engine, tachometer, upgraded Bonzi clutch, foam in the hull, and upgraded hardware out back for the rudders and prop. The prop is also not stock and this thing is so clean you can eat off of it. Im here to ask some questions before I run it because you guys are all awesome and very informative!

-What oil/gas mix should I run? BH Hanson says 20:1 but I know sometimes manufacturers take it too far with specifics.

-What specific kind of oil(BH hanson manual states a specific brand but can I get away with something else?)

-What does the after run maintenance call for (I have many nitros but this is 2 stroke)

-What do I have to be careful of while I run? (I’m a full send kind of guy)

-Tuning?

-Can I use a Traxxas radio system?

Also anything else I should know/ lookout for or be prepared for. Im used to 26” boats and man this thing is huge! He included a few extra parts (water pump, spark plug, manuals, prop etc.)
Old 06-03-2019, 06:33 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

8 oz. per gallon of a good synthetic 2-stroke oil. I used to run Honda HP-2 but it got hard to come by, now I run Lucas.
There's not a lot of after-run work to be done, mostly keeping your flex cable greased and batteries charged, almost your usual things.
Watch out for the usual things just like with nitro boats.
Not a lot of tuning to be done as once you set it you can forget it unlike nitro burners
Yes, any 2.4 Gig system. You don't need more than 2 channels normally. You got this!
Old 06-04-2019, 05:27 AM
Cuzboss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured. I got the boat out on the water and the guy that sold it to me claimed 60+ MPH. Theres no way it can be. I also noticed that there is no idle adjustment screw, the boat starts and runs but will randomly shut off especially after I bring it in from a high speed run. I made an idle screw myself and have yet to test it, but any tips on tuning? I use six ounces per gallon because that’s what the BH Hanson manual stated
Old 06-04-2019, 07:25 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, right. Only 35 MPH down a mineshaft with a tailwind.
The idle speed screw is usually the first thing that I toss when getting a new engine or carb. You only need to adjust the idle speed with your transmitter and be able to fully shut it down.
You're better off at 8 oz. per gallon, some go as high as 10. Two-stroke oil comes in 16 oz. bottles so it'll make 2 gallons.