Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Dual Rudders ??

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Dual Rudders ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 01:54 AM
OldCoot
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Rudders ??

I am considering converting my Super G from single inline to dual rudders.
How much will this improve steering stability and control ??
Old 02-14-2004, 06:55 AM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Dual Rudders ??

I talked to Tony C at WareHouse Hobbies about doing this to my Super Sport, and he said it would greatly improve handleing and steering at top end. I'm going to change mine before the spring thaw. You also might want to think about installing the SPD III drive also.

Hope this helps

Glen
Old 02-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Aaronie

All Tony wants is the business of you buying from him. A rudder in-line with the prop will turn just as well as a boat with dual rudders. All RC boats do not turn left a well as they turn right because of the way the prop is spinning. Dual rudders will also slow your boat down. Not by a whole lot, but they will. I have the WHH dual rudder system on one of my boats. And the only thing I could say it does better is keeping the boat going straight since I have hooks in my hull. You will not need dual rudders on a 38 mph WHH Super G.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:17 PM
bill heacock

Hey oldcoot,

From one old coot to another, it's your toy do as you please. I run a double rudder on my prather deep v, but that is one of my play boats, I would not use them on my race boats (Microbursts). If you decide to buy one, take a drill and make the stand that mounts to the transom look like swiss cheese to lighten the unit , I also used the spdII, for a play toy I like it. Loves rough water. I've had the boat for ten years, still play with it once in a great while.

Enjoy

Bill Heacock
Old 02-21-2004, 04:37 AM
Safe_Cracker

I just bought a Aeromarine Sprint Cat and was wondering which dual ruddder or single you would recomend? Should I run the rudder inline or offset? I will be running a Carrillo modded Z 260.. Thanks for any and all info.....
Old 02-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For speed one rudder off set just enough to clear the prop. Dual work, but it is very hard to get them both in line with each other. Any difference in the line of travel with the dual rudders is making a plow, slowing the boat down. Kinda like driving your car and riding the brake at all times.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:45 PM
magyarbacsi

Duals on a cat? Extra weight and drag that is not needed. I have a 60" cat with single, offset rudder. Turns on a dime. I did have to make a larger rudder to achieve this. It tops at 45, so far and at times it turns too fast. Go with single and try it. You'll like it.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:51 PM
magyarbacsi

So whats the minimum age to join the "old coot" club. I think I qualify. Have a question re the Prather. I used to have a 30cc Homie in it and the boat was manageable. Probably toped out at under 30, with dual rudder set up. Put a 1st stage mod 230PUM with aluminum pipe and the darn thing thought it was an aerobatic plane. It was too fast to see what was the problem, but think it rolled over but ended right side up and barely took on water. Since then I followed Jim Niessen's mod to his old hull, i.e. shortened the strakes from the back and extended them to the front. Have not tried it yet as I have other boats to build. How does your Prather handle and what kind of set up you use. Are these hulls limited to certain speed before they go out of control. The Homie was turning an Octura 482 without a problem. The 230 will not, but I knew it wouldn't have the torque. I dont race, just enjoy the speed.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:46 PM
OldCoot
My Feedback: (47)

magyarbacsi,

According to my wife, Old Coot status is not so much age as how "hard headed" you are.
Anyway, I'm 56 and, according to her, hard headed.

I am very new to boats and would be hesitant to offer any suggesstions concerning your questions.
I am in a pretty heavy learning and experimenting curve myself.

I didn't know what effect, if any, the dual rudders would have. My experience is that they increased overall stability, improved steering, and eliminated spin-outs. I can now make much tighter turns at speed and right hand turns are not as affected by torque as with the single in-line. One offset rudder may have produced the same results, I don't know !
Old 02-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Safe_Cracker

I am running a single offset now but the turning ability to left is reduced quite a bit at speed, would a single in-line help this? How does trimming the rudder help with speed and how much should be done? I don't race either, other that wave runners but I also love a little speed. Anyone try that nice little inline piece from J&G? Thanks for the replies!
Old 04-17-2004, 08:19 PM
catahuladave

If you race you single offset is the way to go. If you run in rough water and are airborne a lot you will benefit from dual rudder. I don’t race right now I just enjoy running my boats with my friends and we run in the Gulf of Mexico (lots of boat cleaning don’t recommend it), in rough lakes and we like the control of dual rudder. All boats, engines, drive systems effect your handling and testing is where you will find the right setup. By the way I agree about the fact that you will find that some RC business will sell you anything even if you don’t need it or that it will work for you. The SPDII is so heavy and solid it will kill turtles[]. I have one on a boat of mine that I call “Tonka Tuff”. Try them both single offset, single inline and then dual and you’ll see the difference that the more experienced guys here are trying to tell us about.

Enjoy your boat
Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 PM
launchpad51

Hey Guys;
I have a 55 inch gas boat that I am installing dual rudders on and I need to know where the prop should be.Is it behind the rudders,even with them or ahead of the rudders.The boat is a rio51 that I gutted and installed a Zenoah Go-ped motor that was built by marine speciaties.It has a Marine Specialties clutch along with a proboat dual water pump.Warehouse Hobbies wet tuned pipe,adjustable trim tabs,stock turn fins.Walbro big bore carb.Lime metallic green paint.Waiting for a 2.4gzh radio system.
Hopefully someone can shed a little light on this.Want to go out racing this weekend,hopefully someone will shed a little light on this.
Thanks Guys......