Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Rudder Conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Rudder Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 09:57 PM
OldCoot
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rudder Conversion

I had to give it a try and glad I did !!
Here are some pics of my home built conversion from single in-line to dual rudders on an XP drive.
There is a noticeable improvement in turning and overall boat stability. I can't tell if it took an MPH or so off the top end but don't care. I don't race, just play. Any small sacrifice in speed, to me, is more than made up in the increased ease of driving the boat.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69807.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	102919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81500.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	102920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp35138.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	102921  
Old 02-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Aaronie

Default RE: Rudder Conversion

WOW!! NICE BOAT, I'm glad the rudders worked out for you.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:17 AM
magyarbacsi

Nice job. I too use a dual rudder set up for reasons you stated. It is a Marine Specialties unit.That motor looks like one of the HE23HP? If so, what is length and total weight of you boat. Have you clocked for speed and rpm and any mods to the motor?
Old 02-21-2004, 08:32 PM
OldCoot

Yes it is the HE23. I don't have any mods on this one but I did put a big bore kit on one that I have in a Traxxas Monster buggy.
The big bore kit did not increase top RPM but did improve acceleration and performance in the low and mid region which is what I was after since this is a dirt buggy.
One thing I did notice, however, with the increase in bore from 32mm to 34mm there was a very silght increase in vibration.
I have run 3 G230s in the past and now I am down to 1 G230 and 2 HE23s. I can tell no difference in quality or performance but the Superiors shure are a lot cheaper. All parts will interchange except that you have to use the pin bearing and washer set for which piston you use (Zenoah or Superior).
I have a G230 still running in a street car but will replace it with a Superior when the time comes.

As for the boat, it's an Enforcer Super G. I bought the hull bare (46 inches) and went from there. The only speed test I did was before the dual rudder set-up and it was about 37 mph. I honestly don't know what it weighs.

I made the dual rudder mod primarily to see what difference it would make and I am pleased. The rudder supports I used are not very strong so I will eventually need to beef them up or get something different. (It's a couple of radio tray supports for the buggy)
I have been looking at the Marine Specialties unit. How do you like it ??
Old 02-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Aaronie

No, don't get the Marine Specialties dual rudder unit. It is outdated, heavy, and complicated. I have heard of parts breaking on it. There are better ones out there.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:16 AM
tsunami

as long as you dont drag em or hop out and land side ways they should last quit a bit
Old 02-22-2004, 11:33 AM
Aaronie

Same your money for better rudders! Check this out:

[link=http://pub208.ezboard.com/fjimsrcboatdockjimsrcboatdock.showMessage?topicID= 14525.topic]http://pub208.ezboard.com/fjimsrcboatdockjimsrcboatdock.showMessage?topicID= 14525.topic[/link]
Old 02-22-2004, 12:29 PM
BajaBob-delete

Dual rudders? twice the drag,toe alignment is a nightmare,they are heavy,they are another source of high frequency noise that will interfere with radio,if they solve handling problems you have other issues that need to be addressed.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:25 PM
OldCoot

I put the GPS on the boat today and the dual rudders took 1.2 MPH off the original boat top end which is OK by me. (Or was it the rudders. Maybe just different weather and water conditions from 3 weeks ago).
I had no problems adjusting toe and setup. The additional rudder and hardware added a total 6oz to the boat.
I am not a race competitor so I don't think 6oz will make much of a difference on a 15lb boat for my purposes.
No nightmare, just smooth sailing and excellent handling !!! I am at a loss to find any negative issue caused by the dual rudders that needs to be addressed.

Im sure that some folks like them and some don't.
As for myself, I am very happy with dual over single.