Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

water pump cooling

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

water pump cooling

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 07:08 AM
pgoode

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump cooling

hi
I have a matrix 50 with a g231pum with a clutch having problems with the water cooling can anyone surggest a suitable water pump. It needs to be light, I plan to race it in the Offshore.Model.Racing.Association (O.M.R.A.) in the uk.
please help me.
Old 03-14-2004, 01:09 PM
magyarbacsi

Default RE: water pump cooling

are you currently using a pump now or just force feeding. With a clutch you do need a pump. Here in the USA most pumps are the same, pulse from the case, and can be had for around $30. Shipping is whats going to cost. I've been looking at some of the products fom Prestwich (spelling) in U.K. and have good deals, but mailing costs more then some of his products. Here, try Marine Specialties, Ware House Hobbies, Rocket City Racing just for a few names.

If you boat in salt water, thats another problem as salt will accumulate in the system and has to be flushed at end of day. If you are using a pump now, make sure you're entire water route is clear and large enough. I have found that a rudder pick up gets clogged more easily to weeds then a pick up tube so I mounted a brass 3/16 tube in the 2 o'clock position of the prop wash, slightly bent towards the prop and end- cut at 45 degree, and had no problem with weeds. I still get them in the prop and rudder, but water path stays clear.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:50 PM
pgoode

Yes I have a waldro fuel pump/pulse type,yes I run in salt water for most of the season.
I flush my engine/manifoled/pipe with soapy water

The pump I have just stopped working after about 2 1/2h I have checked all the plumbing from/to the pump I cannot see way it dose'nt work
thank you for your input.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:59 PM
magyarbacsi

If you blow on the in- line, you should be able to feel it going through the out put line. Tha means no obstruction and thats good. Now blw into the pulse line. You should not be able to, as the diaphram is activated and on a negative pressure, either a spring or the vacuum returns the diaphram. If you can freely blow into the pulse line, you probably have a ruptured diaphram. Rebuild kits are available from Walbro for around $10. Take the 4 screws out and look inside. Could be spmething simple as a particle stuck in the one way valves
Old 03-14-2004, 06:37 PM
pgoode

hi there magyardacsi
I have taken the pump apart it looks in perfect condition
the valves are clean, it has'nt got a spring on the diaphragm this is clean and has on splits/holes. thanks again pgoode
Old 03-15-2004, 04:45 PM
magyarbacsi

if you determine that it is the pump and cant locate a rebuild kit, I will find one ship it to you and you can reimburse me when you get a chance, Let me know the model no. One more thing. blow water from the pickup line, as it picks up the water, and see if it completes the path and comes out at the exit. Is there a chance that the pulse line pinched, cracked. With piston at tdc, you should be able to blow in the pulse hole and hear air inside the the case. You have probably tried, but run the boat in the stand, hook up a line to the pick up line and introduce water. The pump should suck it up and pump it through. Over heating can be from too much advance, too lean, or lubrication. Let me know.