Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Finally - 55+ Super G

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Finally - 55+ Super G

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 11:12 PM
OldCoot
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally - 55+ Super G

55 MPH has been my goal since building the Super G. Finally made 55.73.
Here is what it took.

26mm big bore kit. (Engine was stock Superior HE23HP)
Quickdraw Pipe w/water cooled manifold.
Lowered octane to 89.
Head Cooler - Due to increased heat from big bore and 89 octane.
Fine wire Iridium plug (used the Denso)
Lots of fine tuning of boat, engine, and prop.
Glass smooth water with 300ft straight run.

Now, I need some advise !
As long as the water is smooth - no problem running straight or wide turns at full throttle.
At full throttle, the slightest disturbance in the water will make the boat start to roll back and fourth. Unless I come off the throttle pretty quickly, it will snowball into a complete rollover.
Any suggesstions ??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75884.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	145567  
Old 06-21-2004, 06:59 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

Default RE: Finally - 55+ Super G

sounds like you have reached the performance envelope of this hull. i noticed you have dual rudders this unit could be flexing causing the violent picthing and beside that the extra drag.

Nice boat though call it good and get a hull that can handle the speeds like a Muck or a Lazer 45"

but yeah.....55mph you done good son
Old 06-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Hurrijeff

Hummm,

I cannot say for sure, but as a mechanic on real boats I know that the toe-in on the rudders can make a hugh diffrence. Toe in will pull the stern down into the water, toe out will raise the stern up and push the bow down. Take a close look at the toe in and see what youve got there.. keep in mind that when you encounter a little disturbance that the rocking motion will cause one rudder to dig in a littel more than the other and that might start the snow-ball effect.. If any of this seems to make any sense.. Think about reducing the rudder drag.. Thinner rudders..shorter rudders.. get some of the rudder out of the water or move them back further.

Just a few suggestions.. Hope something in there helps.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:18 AM
Aaronie

Good job on the boat! Now if you ditch that rudder system and get a single rudder, you will pick up even more speed. Not a lot of speed, but you will be able to change this post's title to "Finally - 56+ Super G". Good luck with it!
Old 06-22-2004, 10:31 PM
w00tw00t

i'm a 'maritime' guy and if your just looking for straight away speed and stability, then one rudder is what you need. a boat in choppy water making turns or a tug menuvering in close quaters needs dual rudders, not a boat trying to go maximum sped in one direction. in your case your looking to maintain a heading, not change it. one rudder is less to screw up, as its alignment is completely independant of any variables... like a previous post, if the rudders do not corespond 100% accurately, you will create adverse forces on the boat.

also, every hull has a maximum threshhold of speed... on a more practical to udnerstand example. you could power a oil tanker with an unlimited amount of power, but there is a certain point where no more sped can be created. its how hulls are designed... every boat has its limit, irregarless of power