Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Bonzi 84 Apache with twin 35cc QD motors, opinions!

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Bonzi 84 Apache with twin 35cc QD motors, opinions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:38 PM
crazy maxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bonzi 84 Apache with twin 35cc QD motors, opinions!

thats BIG!!!!![X(]
got anyideas for paint yet???
Old 11-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: stempak

You sre not gonna get that stuff with MHZ. They are top notch hulls better than most of are's. You won't see'm pourposing down the lake or weird characteristics. That's why some of them are rediculasly expensive.
Unfortunately the most expensive hull they offer is so poorly designed that several have taken the extreme measure of hacking off a [link=http://groups.msn.com/JustaddwatasRCBoats/assortedpicsothers.msnw?action=ShowPhoto& PhotoID=921]good portion of the ride surface [/link] and strakes to compensate for poor (and as yet unaltered) design.

The construction of MH$ hulls is of a very high standard but the support given in the US is non existent which will inadvertently lead to high end boats being built with incorrect balance, trim, power, and hardware since there is no one in the US representing the company with any experience. I have seen several boats built to very high quality standards yet displaying very poor handling since zero support or setup instructions are ever provided. (In some cases these handling problems have caused damage to the boat)

I probably have as many MH$ hulls as anyone but cant say I have ever had any product support or service.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:39 AM
Believe It
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You sre not gonna get that stuff with MHZ. They are top notch hulls better than most of are's. You won't see'm pourposing down the lake or weird characteristics. That's why some of them are rediculasly expensive.
do you have experience with MH$ hulls?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 AM
slivic003

Just a note for everyone . Gel Coat is one of the hardest materials around , BUT it is very brittle . To much flex in fiberglass will give you cracks in your gel coat . Glass is more flexable than Gel coat . So any boat that has cracks in the gel does not mean the glass is cracked also . Some boats are laid resin rich and some are glass rich . It all depends on the maker of the boat . Also the quality of glass used by a company makes a differance in the quality of the boat . Then the type of process used to lay the glass . There are a lot of differant aspects in the layup of the glass on a boat that will have an effect on its durability .
Old 11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
quickdraw

Scott

Dump off the velocity stacks. You are slowing the engine down. It looks like by the picture that you are only running one water pickup into each motor? Than taking one outlet and running it into the other inlet on the bottom of the engine. This needs to have two water in and two water out for the cooling. Changing to our steel pipes will also have a major effect on it too. Those aluminum ones are hurting performance. I can probably fit both our pipes in your boat with one being a deep-v style and the other one too with some mods. I will need some dimensions from you on this though.

Todd
Quickdraw
Old 11-14-2007, 11:05 PM
stempak

No just what I heard from other people, I have smaller boat's and nitro aswell. If I was gonna do a boat that size non stepped it would probably be that one because of the scale topgun/apache look, when other hulls (not to put anyone down) start to look something like a cigarrete then you can't tell what it is? I have also heard they have pretty bad to no service/support. I believe they are mainly a german/europe company as the german site has a lot of stuff the american site doesn't have. And I,ve also seen other stuff that wonder what else they have that we don't know?

You will find 75+% of the time the euro boats are way or able to be way more scale than are's
Old 11-15-2007, 12:09 PM
firelite_marine

?????? im confused now, a bonzi 84 cant handle a 70cc? then whay do they have so many pics in the gallery with twin 70cc QDs
Old 11-15-2007, 02:28 PM
slivic003

Hey maybe I can clear the confusion up a bit .(or make it worse!!) Anyways . The 84" hull can handle the 70cc motors to a certain degree . It as not the amount of power in it but sometimes the abuse to the hull . And all boats take hull abuse , calm water or rough the hull will flex . An example ....I have a WHH 46 SS enforcer with a stock 26cc motor and the hull is full of cracks in the gelcoat . The boat is 2 years old . I run it in calm water and sometimes a bit of chop . WHH makes a strong hull , thick glass , but it still has stress cracks in the gel . I have a couple of bonzi boats , 50' 64" and they also have cracks in the gel from stress and flexing .I also have others that you will find a crack or to in the gel . And all my boats are not that old .Even my real boat I have found a small crack in the gel , and it is new . The 84" with twin 70cc motors is heavy and has a lot of power . I know that bonzi lays of the glass on there boats for differant motors that go into them . On the 84" with twin 26cc they lay the glass lighter so you will get a better speed out of it . And on the 70cc install they lay the glass heavy so the boat will be a little bit stronger to handle the larger power . The best way to keep a hull together when running high power motors is to displace the weight and torque of the motor through the length of the boat . You can do this by running the stringers from the transom almost to the bow and add some extra glass around the stringers . this will make the the hull stronger . I have had to do this on a couple of hulls I have run large engines in that the glass on them was laid very lite . Also if you buy a hull , buy from a well known company , some one that will stand behind there product . WHH and Bonzi have great customer service !!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:29 AM
No Moa
My Feedback: (1)

My 84 apache is on its way, i bought it used never built. Bonzi was A+++ on the phone, they are going to help me get this assembled, and work at what i should do for the power i'm looking to install. I was going with a set of the inline zens, but its more than i can $ right now, so i'm going to install a set of regular 26s for now.
I'm gong to have the hull lined with some kevlar, i have already talked to a local composite guy.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:41 AM
slivic003

Hey cool !!!! Post some pics when you get it !!! The twin 26 zen will push it pretty good . Just try to keep the boat on the light side for those motors . Good luck with your build and post some pics of the progress !!!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:46 AM
No Moa

I could use some tips, gas tank(s), batt box. I know the layout will be critical. I'm also using MHZ drives.

The drawings will work, thanks again for them.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 AM
slivic003

Hey , sent you a pm .
Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 AM
No Moa

got it
Old 11-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Are you sure?
They're expensive for a few reasons.... They're made in Germany where the $ to Euro isn't exactly the strongest & hasn't been since the beginning. Even in history, things made in Germany naturally cost more in comparison. Another is the materials. Epoxy vs Polyester. The quality of an MH# hull isn't in question
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM
martno1fan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If theres one thing history tells you is that if its made in germany its usually well made.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:27 PM
radioactiver/c

Country of origin has nothing to do with quality or design advantages.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:04 PM
mopartybob

ORIGINAL: radioactiver/c

first,lose the chip on your keel there buddy and post sumthing positive for a refreshing change,second,mart made a valid point when referring to "history"...,lastly,please elaborate your reply to his statement for clarification purposes....[:-]
Old 11-21-2007, 04:12 PM
slapnuts8725
Banned

So nothing made here is as good as in germany?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:30 PM
mopartybob

this is what i'm asking radr/c to clarify and elaborate on........[:-]
Old 11-21-2007, 08:12 PM
radioactiver/c

Whats to explain? actually the response to my earlier statement explains it all...
Old 11-22-2007, 01:09 AM
racer59

Re: 70cc Twin inline QD.
I had one on a 56" Aeromarine apache. Hull was short but a fun thing to drive. Tons of torque. Renegade 3 bladed prop was the one I used.
Anyone knows Cajun Law Hobbies at Lockport Louisiana? A gentleman there used to run twins all the time on a 72" hull.
Flew there to check it his shop. Boats run well but I doubt if 70-80mph can be attained. Just my opinion.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:55 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

ORIGINAL: radioactiver/c

Hate to agree with this guy but he has a small point. However, we're talking quality of MH$$ hulls.

slapnuts:
So nothing made here is as good as in germany?
bro' you need to get out a little or experience some other hulls. Believe me, I've seen some questionable German hulls as well. I'd say its the same as anywhere you go.

One stupid little post has completly thrown the idea off. MH-(whatever) are good hulls PERIOD. But you can't compare the PRICE of them to other hulls or even those made in the UK. Have you looked at the exchange rates lately??? Some folks don't know how to look beyond that. The two MHZ boats I've owned and the numerous I'm around most weekends have told me that the quality is much better than a lot of others.

What is the difference between the boats made in the States vs elsewhere?
Typically its a TECHNIQUE ie,
no rails, aluminum rails,
Polyester layup vs Epoxy,
shoe box joints vs smoothed out
wood vs no wood etc.
Design & STYLE... don't forget that.

WHH builds a hell of a boat. PERIOD. They're a bit behind the times though & really need to update their model line with more current styles.

Then take builders such as INSANE, AC BOATS etc.
The build quality is nothing to be questioned. These are not really boats built to scale like a lot of MHZ stuff, but they're not meant to be. THEY'RE RACERS and are built to do one job & thats go FAST.

Sometimes I wonder about the questions being thrown around and how folks can't see the big picture. Thats me though.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Think you sumed it up pretty well there.

Further to the exchange rate differences is the fact that shipping the hull here (Be it from Europe, Australia or where ever) is going to add some $$ to the potentially already higher prices. I have paid more in freight, broker fees etc for shipping a hull (from Canada) than the boat cost.

Higher prices do not always reflect higher quality - just as lower prices do not translate to lower quality.
Old 11-22-2007, 11:05 AM
slapnuts8725
Banned

Yep im the one that needs to get out more
Old 11-22-2007, 11:40 PM
radioactiver/c

Yep im the one that needs to get out more
lets go run some big boats some time, or as soon as the water is liquid again

to respond to

firelite_marine

????? im confused now, a bonzi 84 cant handle a 70cc? then whay do they have so many pics in the gallery with twin 70cc QDs
One of the things model boat builders do, just as full scale builders, is take the most impressive peice they have and use as promotional peice.Probably not run much other than for a photo shoot.
Day in, day out boating the simple approach works best for most guys. That means a single cylinder with enough power to make the boat exciting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.